MCG Twist Adapter Fastener Hole Too Small

Moderator: AdminGroup

Dumpofdeath

MCG Twist Adapter Fastener Hole Too Small

Postby Dumpofdeath » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:51

I received my Gunfighter MkIII today with an MCG Pro grip and a twist adapter preinstalled. While installing, I discovered what appears to be a manufacturing defect. Using ship coordinates, the starboard side hole on the twist adapter (where you insert the fastener to secure the grip to the base shaft) is slightly too small. I've attached pictures for reference. I've tried getting the fastener into the starboard side by going in from the port side, but to no avail. It appears the hole was simply drilled out just a hair too small.

Despite the help from some kind souls on the HOTAS discord, I'm unable to get the fastener into the hole whatsoever. Using a set of calipers, I have the side where the fasteners fit at 8 mm, while the side where it doesn't fit at 7.5 mm.
Attachments
IMG_20191224_210137.jpg
Another shot of trying to get fastener through.
IMG_20191224_205552.jpg
Picture showing hole too small
IMG_20191224_204059.jpg
Trying to get shaft through from other side

Ron61

Re: MCG Twist Adapter Fastener Hole Too Small

Postby Ron61 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:42

If you do not try to push, but insert from one side on one side and try to tighten with a screw?
Install the handle on the base and insert holes on one side of the crackers on both sides of the crackers correctly orienting them and tighten them with a screw.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Wed Dec 25, 2019 19:44

Have an older MCG Pro and one of my major annoyances is that that fitting slides all the way through. My newer S C G premium is slightly smaller on one side so the attachment cannot slide all the way through.

As long as you can get the fitting in far enough that the chamfers allow the shaft to slide past that's all you need. I insert the loosely connected screw, use the hex to move the chamfers into the right orientation, and then lower it over the stick shaft. I don't try to slide the two halves in independently from each side.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Dumpofdeath

Postby Dumpofdeath » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:05

Update.

I was able to make it work. Using a drill bit, I twisted by hand for over an hour into the side that wouldn't fit. I was able to make it nearly the same size as the side that worked. I then found a spare bolt from an upgrade I did to my 3D printer that coincidentally had the same threading, bolt diameter, and bolt head as the one included for the fastener. The only difference was that it was longer. I was able to use that to pull the clamp side that wouldn't fit in and now it fits.

I'm disappointed that I had to use DIY just to assemble a $400+ stick, but I'm happy with the final product.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49

Just wanted to update - just got mine (twist adaptor). I had no issues with mine fitting the base attach pieces. Guess you just got unlucky....

Now I'm hunting the firmware (1.97E I think it was) shown in the how-to-install video, I was still on 1.954...
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:29

You really shouldn't, just use the latest available.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Dec 28, 2019 17:12

Well on vkbcontrollers there's now a 1.98.1 package...plus a 'new' 0.90.93 VKBDevCfg and a 1.18 bootloader. But for now, I've just made the video-recommended twist adapter changes and redone calibration.

Return to “Technical Support”