Need help with Linux calibration

Moderator: AdminGroup

onwards

Need help with Linux calibration

Postby onwards » Tue Dec 24, 2019 23:51

Hello,

I just received my Gladiator Mk2, for the purpose of playing Star Citizen. I am trying to get it to work on a fully updated Ubuntu 19.10.

The joystick is recognized by the system - lsusb reports it:

Bus 001 Device 010: ID 231d:0121 www.vkb-sim.pro www.forum.vkb-sim.pro © Alex Oz 2012-2017 VKBsim Gladiator

I can also see it when I run JoyTester under Wine. It sees all the button presses, and registers the movements of the stick.

However, I cannot seem to successfully calibrate. First of all, neither VKBDevCFG-C nor wizzo (running under Wine) recognize it.

When I try to follow the no-software calibration procedure, I am able to go through the motions until I click the trigger - at that point, both LEDs start flashing rapidly and they never stop, no matter how long I leave the device connected (it does not "restart", instead it gets stuck in this mode).

When I try to use it in Star Citizen, the joystick "exists" but the game does not respond to it at all - it seems to be stuck at an extreme YAW/PITCH position, meaning that the spaceship simply rotates endlessly, no matter what I do, effectively making it unusable. So it seems that it needs this calibration.

Any advice? I really like the look and feel of it, but I can't figure out how to make it work, and would have to return it otherwise :(

Thank you in advance.

fallout9

Re: Need help with Linux calibration

Postby fallout9 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 0:29

Any way to calibrate it on a Windows machine? The joysticks saves the calibration and programming on its own PCB so it would work on your computer afterwards.

onwards

Postby onwards » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51

Oh boy. One more question at the bottom, please.

That was an adventure that took a few hours to sort out, but I now have a working joystick within Star Citizen.

Ultimately I had to indeed create a virtual machine to run the configurator tool, which "reset" my joystick; I am guessing that x-plane shipped me one that was returned?

Then in Star Citizen I had to map specific bindings - somehow I assumed those would work naturally, but they did not. Once I was both able to "see" the stick properly and assigned pitch, yaw, and roll to the primary stick, everything calmed down (and the, I am sure for any external observer, amusing sight of a ship rolling constantly at high speed as soon as it gets off the launch pad ended).

Very cool stick, btw - I like the feel of it.

One thing I still can't figure out is the purpose of the button that is on the bottom of the stick - where my pinky is. I couldn't "see" it in the configurator when i clicked it.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 18:41

That should act like a Shift button for the grip buttons: press the buttons on the grip without the Pinkie pressed - you get inputs 1 to 6; press the buttons on the grip with Pinkie pressed - you get inputs 7-12 (random numbers but I hope you get the idea).

Return to “Technical Support”