Gladiator Mk II. Upgrade Kit LIte Issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

SpinCykle

Re: Gladiator Mk II. Upgrade Kit LIte Issues

Postby SpinCykle » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:08

fallout9 wrote:Means that you're close to finding the cause of grinding. Take the bracket out of the holders and verify the contact area - is there any debris? Is the bracket making noise when you're rotating it with the holders on? Does it take some force to push the bracket into place?
Grease is a personal preference, there are several types of grease available. Most of the people seem to like Nyogel 767A best. And it was recommended in the video, check 5:34.

Hi, Fallout9. Thanks for your input. I'll pick up a tube of grease and we'll see how it goes. I've watched the video you're referencing several times and while I agree, it's best to apply grease again, the video hardly recommends or goes on to say, "use this grease". The single line quoted in the video states, "If you plan to regrease your cams this is a the best time". It's more of a statement than a recommendation, no? Either way, I hope we can all get to the bottom of this issue, weather it be manufacturing tolerances or simply grease application. If it's the later, I think VKB should include some grease in their kit. A tube of Nyogel 767A is 35$ USD... which makes this a pricey "recommendation".

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:29

I have to repeat myself: the type of grease is a personal preference - some people prefer a fast grease, others a dampening grease. Including grease in the package would raise the final price and that wouldn't be fair for people who wouldn't use that grease because they have their own or would like something else. Also recommending a certain type of grease wouldn't work as VKB sells all over the world and not everybody has access to the same grease products or manufacturers.
Paying $35 for a tube of grease might look expensive, but that's more than enough to cover your needs for the next 10 years. I recommended Nyogel because I was the same at the beginning, found it way too expensive (you must be in US if you're not paying shipping, but I had to pay shipping too to get it in Canada); so I tried other 2 or 3 less expensive products - was so 'pleased' with them that I ended up getting the Nyogel :)
Here's a demonstration of how different types of grease work, hopefully it would make it easier for you to decide what to use: https://youtu.be/59F9qUDNwnQ

bakon

Postby bakon » Wed Jan 22, 2020 22:45

Hey, me again!

Tried tightening the pegs on the sides of the metal rod thing and washers to heighten the plastic parts and neither seems to do anything. I also tried using some of the excess grease that was left over in the scaffolding on the peg & the part that the peg slides into but this did not seem to help either. Nothing seemed to change with either attempt. I could try adding an absurd amount of grease, but its very difficult finding anything that seems appropriate over here.
(While also not burning my wallet.)

I also lack the the required terminology, so I added a terrible paint image to show the directions where I get scratching and where I don't. Green = good, red = bad.
I have to perfectly line up the stick for it not to scratch going right/left on the X axis.
Attachments
joystick xy.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 23:13

That looks and sounds pretty bad. In my last post I was suggesting you to remove parts one by one and moving the grip after each step so we could identify if not the cause at least the place where that's happening. Any results?

bakon

Postby bakon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:21

I mean I haven't tried to only use the upper part without the bottom one, but I know it must be coming somewhere from the upper part. As far as I saw the metal pegs you can screw in was not the issue (as I now could screw them all the way) and I couldn't see it making any contact, and considering it only scratches going at an angle it's highly unlikely that. So I feel I can be pretty sure that the culprit is the course for the peg.

The scratch on the peg is my fault, but I cannot feel it and raising the entire thing with washers changed nothing.
Attachments
IMG_20200122_230458c.jpg
IMG_20200122_230406b.jpg
the part.JPG
the part.JPG (27.75 KiB) Viewed 9417 times

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04

Look, I'm really trying to help, I even took mine apart again to see what could interfere in your case, but you have the hands on and the you're the only one who could find the problem.

Do this:
- turn the joystick upside down and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- take the metal bottom plate out and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- take the springs off and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- take the main board out (the one along the Y axis) and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- take the 4 screws holding the Y axis unit in place and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- pull out the Y axis unit and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- take the 4 screws holding the X axis unit in place and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue:
- move around the X axis unit and the grip at the same time trying to find an angle where it won't grind anymore - report findings.

SpinCykle

Postby SpinCykle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 19:31

fallout9 wrote:I have to repeat myself: the type of grease is a personal preference - some people prefer a fast grease, others a dampening grease. Including grease in the package would raise the final price and that wouldn't be fair for people who wouldn't use that grease because they have their own or would like something else. Also recommending a certain type of grease wouldn't work as VKB sells all over the world and not everybody has access to the same grease products or manufacturers.
Paying $35 for a tube of grease might look expensive, but that's more than enough to cover your needs for the next 10 years. I recommended Nyogel because I was the same at the beginning, found it way too expensive (you must be in US if you're not paying shipping, but I had to pay shipping too to get it in Canada); so I tried other 2 or 3 less expensive products - was so 'pleased' with them that I ended up getting the Nyogel :)
Here's a demonstration of how different types of grease work, hopefully it would make it easier for you to decide what to use: https://youtu.be/59F9qUDNwnQ

Just thought I'd stop by and let you know my grease application failed. Noise is still there. All be it, a very smooth grinding noise.

SpinCykle

Postby SpinCykle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 19:40

fallout9 wrote:Look, I'm really trying to help, I even took mine apart again to see what could interfere in your case, but you have the hands on and the you're the only one who could find the problem.

Do this:
- turn the joystick upside down and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue: Yes
- take the metal bottom plate out and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue: Yes
- take the springs off and move the grip around - can you feel the scratch? No - report here, Yes - continue: Yes, worse with the springs off, much worse.

I'm back to the shaft bottoming out theory again. Its the most logical. I'll see if I can find better washers to raise it. Something is causing the friction in the roll axis, aka, grinding/rubbing. The Nyogel 767A smoothes the movement out but you can still hear/feel the "rubbing" if you will.

SpinCykle

Postby SpinCykle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 22:40

It seems this thread isn't progressing unfortunately. I've opened a support ticket w/ VKB. Hopefully this will bring further attention to the issue and resolve he matter.

Tealios

Postby Tealios » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03

Hey, you've got any news ? I just received my Gladiator MkII and I can feel and hear a grinding noise similar to yours but I haven't installed anything. I just put it out of the box and I can feel it grinds, probably at the bolt seeing the picture but I haven't open it yet. Kind of make me regret this new adventure...

bakon

Postby bakon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 17:19

Nothing new here at least, don't know about the two others that initially came to this thread with issues(as I kind of butted in later). Had an open ticket for 9 days with no replies from VKB.
Also it could be worth looking at the upgrade kit guide on Youtube (that got linked earlier) to see how you take the stick apart and what it could potentially be.

Tealios

Postby Tealios » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:08

Hey, so I finally received my kit and my Kosmosima. Took me like 4 hours to grease/install/find where the grinding came from. This part must have took me like two hours and it's indeed the peg course.
You can clearly see the molding marks on the picture. The peg is touching a very little bit of the top and side cover of the axis and it makes the grinding noise. I tried to drown it in different kind of grease but no sucess since it's so tight. And washers can't help since it grind the sides too.
The peg from the original stick, KG12, is in metal without painting so it was very smooth. The one from the Kosmo is painted in black and maybe a bit larger than the original.
My only solution which I will try on monday (no time until then) is to sand off the black color of the peg and sand a bit of the cover, then soak it in grease again.
I have just a little problem, I can't figure how to remove the Kosmo stick; I untightend the bolt but the stick won't come out... Anything more to do ?
Attachments
IMG_20200221_234625.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20

First of all make sure the locking cylinders are well apart and not still gripping the shaft. Then try to twist the grip left and right and pull it up; sometimes that hole on the base of the grip is too small for the metallic pin on the adapter.

Second, check twice before sanding or cutting: clean the adapter's peg channel of any grease, put a very thin layer of toothpaste on the bottom of the peg and try it on. Then take it apart again and check if the toothpaste is still on the peg or it got spread on the channel. If it's on the channel you could go ahead and sand the peg a bit, but if it's not you should look elsewhere.

wassou

Postby wassou » Sat Jul 25, 2020 17:36

hello guys i am regreasesing the joystick is it necessary to put grease inside the plastic gimbal like in this photo ??? thanks :)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 18:02

These are the areas that needs to get re-greased if you're on it:
asd.JPG

Return to “Technical Support”