Black Box leds - how to configure them?

Moderator: AdminGroup

n12nja

Black Box leds - how to configure them?

Postby n12nja » Wed Oct 30, 2019 20:03

Hi all - sorry for the newbie question - just received a pair of scg - left one is a premium in case that is relavent.

Upon plugging in the left one has a blue sys light and no other lights on.

The right one has a blue sys light and bus pedals and stick lights are all green.

Is this all ok? I read the pinned post regarding the black box lights and it said we can configure them to change what colours they are - but I have not been able to find this setting in the VKB device Config.

Many thanks for any assistance!

Darren

EDIT: Now fixed by shaking the Black box - seems to have been caused by what I assume was something inside fouling the connections.
Last edited by n12nja on Fri Nov 01, 2019 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Victorus

Re: Black Box leds - how to configure them?

Postby Victorus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 21:59

Open zconfig.ini in the same folder with VKBDevCfg-C.exe.
Add User=Developer string to [User] section, save.
Launch VKBDevCfg-C.exe.
Required controls will appear on Global - External - LEDs tab.

leds.jpg
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

n12nja

Postby n12nja » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:26

Thank you for the reply Victorus. I can now see the tab you have shown in your screenshot, however no matter what I set the LEDs to in the device config they never change the lights on the black box. For example I have set them all to 0 0 0 and it still shows green lights for Stick Bus and Pedals on the Black Box for the right stick but just the Blue sys light and the stick green light on the left stick.

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01

ensure you save the config when you change the led

n12nja

Postby n12nja » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:49

Thank you for your post Ddrake.

One of the black boxes will update it's leds once I click set - it restarts and then shows the change (for the most part - slow blink often just shows as off or continuously on). The other black box no matter what I set the leds to and click Set it will just show all leds continuously on. With exactly the same led settings they do not show the same output.
I've tried switching over USB ports, usb leads, different sticks - one of the blackboxes (the same one) still has all leds permanently iluminated.

Thank you for any other suggestions of what I can try!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 21:53

Try hitting the Default button before programming the LEDs. Also, to turn them off you have to set them Off under LED MODE drop down menu; changing those number to 0 is (only?) affecting the intensity of that LED.
I would also suggest to put all Events in Zero Event (except of those you need) so you won't have any conflicts.

Here's a map of the LEDs on the BB: download/file.php?id=6854&mode=view

n12nja

Postby n12nja » Fri Nov 01, 2019 0:27

Thanks for your post fallout9.

I've clicked Default and then tried setting every single one to Zero Event and every single LED mode to OFF. It does turn the Sys light off but the other 3 lights are still continuously lit green.
I have also tried both the 1.967 and 1.977 firmware but it made no difference.
Any other ideas or do I have a faulty BlackBox?

Many thanks,

Darren

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:08

Have you scrolled down to see if there’s anything left on?

n12nja

Postby n12nja » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:35

I have scrolled down to all 12 events setting them off. I have also tried deleting all 12 events. The only light that is ever affected by changes on this blackbox is the sys light. The others stay permanently lit from as soon as I turn on my computer.

To confirm I am doing this correctly - the other black box will change it's light correctly.

For example if both are on Default and I unplug the stick from the black box - on the working blackbox the stick light goes to red - on the faulty blackbox it stays permanently green (as does the bus and pedals lights though I don't own any pedals).

New piece of information I've discovered - if I tilt the black box the 3 green lights (stick bus and pedals) will go dimmer and even off at certain angles. I'm assuming it is a dodgy connection inside? Do VKB want me to open it up and take a look or would this void the warranty?

n12nja

Postby n12nja » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:41

Given the new information I discovered regarding tilting the box having an impact on the lights I decided to do the highly technical technique which I call "Disconnect and shake the box vigorously".

The lights are now behaving correctly! Crazy huh!

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:37

Better than any words will be screenshots of the configurator tabs.
Show tabs Global, Global-External-Leds, Profils-Buttons.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Nov 02, 2019 0:47

n12nja wrote:Given the new information I discovered regarding tilting the box having an impact on the lights I decided to do the highly technical technique which I call "Disconnect and shake the box vigorously".

The lights are now behaving correctly! Crazy huh!

That sounds like you might have a small piece of metallic foreign object debris in there. Like a bit of solder or a leftover wire conductor from a cut wire end
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Technical Support”