Gladiator throttle question

Moderator: AdminGroup

lancer27

Gladiator throttle question

Postby lancer27 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 20:42

Hi, I have a Gladiator MKII. After I start and load the sim and am sitting in the cockpit, when I look down and hover the mouse over the throttle quadrant it says it is at 0%. When I advance the throttles by using the throttle lever on the stick, it jumps to 17%. So 17% throttle is the lowest throttle input I can have. (unless I use the mouse to bring it down lower). In flight, if I move the sticks throttle lever to full and hover the mouse over the throttle quadrant in the cockpit, it say 84%. I was wondering, is there any way to have the throttle on the stick configured so that it starts at 0%, and then when I advance the throttle lever to full that it goes to 100% ? So that I have a 0%-100% range on the throttle lever instead of a 17%-84% ? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fallout9

Re: Gladiator throttle question

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 20:51

Sounds like your throttle has not been calibrated. Re-calibrate your stick again including all the axes: X, Y, twist and throttle. Move/ twist the stick and throttle lever along the whole axis range.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:14

Hi, I re-calibrated with the VKBDevCfg-C program instead of using the calibration programs that come with the sim. After moving the stick through all its axis I started the throttle calibration. When I moved the throttle lever to start calibrating, it jumped from 0 to 258 (not 0-258 then the rest). From 258 it would go all the way up to 65,535 which I think is the max. Moving the lever from full throttle back to idle, it would go back to 0. Moving the lever again from 0 it would jump to 258 and go all the way up to 65,535 and then back to 0 when moved to idle. In sim it did the same thing...when I barely advance the throttle lever it jumped from 0% to 17%. At full throttle it topped at 84%. I could still use the mouse to pull back the throttle from 17% to taxi slower or push the throttle forward past 84% to get more power and afterburner. Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00

Better than any words will be screenshots from the configurator.
Interested in Global, Profile-Axes tabs.
Sometimes you can see something important from the screenshot, but that doesn't tell you anything.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:08

Hi, I guessing it may help a little to let all know that when I started the VKBDevCfg-C program when I calibrated the stick that I got a flag (screenshot enclosed). At which time I pressed the Yes button. What happened next was another flag came on screen....Registry Editor: Adding info can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in C:\Users\Richard\Documents\VKB Flight Stick Utilities\VKBDevCfg-C_v0.90.56\del_cal_vid_231D&pid_0120.reg, do not add it to the registry.
I don't know anything about registries and I sure didn't want to make my problem any worse...so I pressed the No button. I then proceeded to calibrate the stick by pressing the Start Calibration button, calibrated it, then pressed the End Calibration button. (screenshot enclosed) The results in sim were the same as I mentioned earlier...throttle jumps from 0% to 17% at slightest touch and goes up to 84%.
Attachments
z axis at 258 after barely moving it.jpg
this is the message given.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:21

You pressed the wrong button, you don't need to make a reg file. You also absolutely don't need a Windows calibration. Everything could be done through VKBDevCfg.
From the beginning, step by step:
- open VKBDeVCfg and press that big red button called (reset to) Default. Hit Yes to the next dialog box that's popping up;
- go to the Test tab, then press the Axes tab. Press on the Tools tab (if not already there) and press the button called Start Calibr.
- move your stick on X and Y axes, twist it, move the throttle up and down.
- when done press the button called End Calibr.
If followed exactly you should have a perfectly working joystick.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16

Just remember - never calibrate VKB devices using Windows. But if this still happened, the configurator will notify you and offer to fix it. If you refuse this, then the error will remain.
Tip- take screenshots with the Alt key, then there will only be an active window, not the entire desktop. Either use the Scissors or the Fragment and Sketch tools.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 21:30

Hi, I tried what you said earlier. When the configurator offered to correct Windows calibration I pressed the "Yes" buttons. I pressed the "Default" button. I pressed the "Start Calibration" button. Went through the X and Y axis tests. Started the Z axis test and found that I had a little bit more of an improvement. Instead of slightly moving the throttle lever and it jumping from 0 to 258, it went from 0 to 256. Just a quick question....is 256 the "lowest number" everyone gets when they perform the Z axis calibration test ? Maybe that value is the lowest it goes before it goes to 0.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:27

Lancer. First you Calibrate and afterwards you test. Don’t pay attention to numbers during calibration, just watch so the axis end corresponds with the slider. If for some reason the axis is at the end of range, but the slider on the screen still haven’t reached the end then cancel calibration, reset to default and start the calibration process again.
After you’re done with calibration hit the End Calibr button and test again; your throttle axis together with the other ones should be perfect now.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16

I am not sure if this makes a difference but, I seem to have the opposite problem. When I try calibrating any of the axes, the sliders on the screen would reach their max positions first (65,535) and the stick and throttle lever would have a little bit of "travel" left to go before they reach their physical limit. I would then hit Cancel Calibration button. Hit the Default button and press the Start Calibration button to begin again. After several attempts, it seems that the sliders on screen would always reach their max positions first before the stick could "correspond" with the sliders. However, if I moved the stick and throttle lever around a few times during the calibration process, the stick would always "correlate" with the numbers on the sliders on screen. I would then press the End Calibration button thinking the stick is calibrated. In sim, the throttle seems to still go from idle to 17% etc...

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:26

In the 6th sentence I mean that the stick and throttle would always "correlate" with the numbers on the sliders on screen.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:30

Grip/throttle movement doesn't have to be synchronized with the slider when calibrating. What matters is that when the grip/throttle are at the min/max range the slider is at the end of range too. Do the up/down movement a few times, slowly and hit End Calibr after you did the same for all axes. If your throttle is still jumping to 17% check your simulation for deadzone and set it to 0. What game are you playing? Also it would really help if you's post a screenshot, as requested, with Profile/Axes/Physical axes tab.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11

Hi, I have supplied some screen shots. I have Prepar3D v4.5
Attachments
Global.jpg
Profile-Axes Tab.jpg
Prepar3D v4.5  Settings.jpg

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:31

Maybe the problem is in the game? In the settings, I see 36 units of the dead zone for all axes.
In the configurator in the Test tab, how does the gas axis behave?
If there are no jumps and twitches when moving from 0 to 65535 - see the settings in the game itself.

p.s. still take screenshots with the Alt key - there will only be an active window, and not the entire desktop.

lancer27

Postby lancer27 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 19:45

Hi, in the Configurator when testing the throttle axis, it behaves with a jump from 0 to 256 with just the slightest of movement on the throttle lever. It will go all the way up to 65,535. When moving the throttle lever back down to 0, the last number that is indicated on the screen is 256, then it goes to 0.

Return to “Technical Support”