Black Box Firmware, device signature not correct

Moderator: AdminGroup

Lazy_8

Black Box Firmware, device signature not correct

Postby Lazy_8 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:21

I purchased both the MCG PRO and Mark IV rudder pedals. The Black Box with the rudder pedals is referencing firmware 1.936 and refuses to take firmware 1.96F. The other Black Box that came with the MCG PRO works fine with firmware 1.96F. I have tried the hardware short through zbootloader and vkbdevcfg-c. It only wants to operate with the rudder pedals and refuses to acknowledge the MCG PRO. I get the error "device signature not correct" - please check version of firmware file for this device. Is there anyway to bring this up to the latest firmware and have it talk with both the rudder pedals and MCG PRO? I have tried to find solutions on this forum, but have come up short. Appreciate any assistance.

AeroGator

Re: Black Box Firmware, device signature not correct

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12

Lazy_8 wrote:I get the error "device signature not correct"

we're on it please hold on.
in the meantime try using GF's bb plugging the pedals into it. pedals should be then identified as yet another axis of the joystick.
update me on how it works.
-> I may not be available over the weekend and till Wednesday, but I will forward your question to other people who would be able to help.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Lazy_8

Postby Lazy_8 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58

Thank you for the quick response. I have managed to get the gunfighter's black box to operate as intended with the rudder pedals, as you have mentioned. Since I have 2 black boxes, I was hoping to get the second up and running as a spare. No real rush, since the setup is working with the gunfighter's black box. I am happy with my purchase and overall experience. If there is a solution to updating the spare black box I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, thank you for your time; and I hope others find this information useful.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:05

It would be great if you recorded the firmware process in all its details. This will help us understand at what stage the failure occurs.
Let me remind you just in case - this can be done using Expérience (for Nvidia cards) or the tool for recording clips in Win10.

Lazy_8

Postby Lazy_8 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08

Hello Ron, Sorry I don't have time to capture video but I will provide some pics with descriptions.

Startup light indicators to show all lights do indeed work. Initialized when plugging in the USB.

Light indicators after startup initialization. MCG Pro is physically connected but no LED on "Stick".

Config Screen using VKBDevCfg-C showing black box v1.936.

Attempted flash using the bootloader built into the VKBDevCfg-C using v1.96F

Second attempt using the same process but trying NJOY_32 V1.96F

Hopefully this provides some insight on what I am seeing.

Thank you.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:07

First, you are using a version of the configurator that is not intended to work with firmware version 1.936. This is indicated by the topmost line (header) in the configurator. Below 1.96С is not recommended, higher is possible.
Secondly, it is impossible to fill in the BB firmware from another device - you tried from Njoy32. The result is logical.
Exit two and both should work.
Since the firmware for the pedals is flooded (or rather _BlackBox_Tiny_v1_93_6), then try to fill _BlackBox_TRudder_v1_96_F first and only then _BlackBox_GF_MCG_PRO_v1_96_F for GF with the Pro handle.
Or immediately use for firmware pins Boot. This is written in chapter 2.2.2 of the manual. To do this, you need to unscrew the bottom cover (4 screws for Torex T8). There, however, a little bit old pictures, but I think everything is clear.

Lazy_8

Postby Lazy_8 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 23:46

Hello Ron,

Would you please advise on what version of the configurator that I should use? (VKBDevConfig). Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27

See here everything is extreme.

Thasiet

Postby Thasiet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48

Not cool at all y'all. Brand new Gunfighter and I also can't update the firmware off of 1.96D. And this coming after I had to pull out my soldering iron to fix your shoddy workmanship on the Kosmosima 5-way pov hat with a tac switch sticking out so far out the assembly couldn't sit flush in the grip. That's water under the bridge now. But if you could fix whatever is effed up with this firmware, and let me know,

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 17:09

You could try follow up this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht8yMsdlCQ. Get the latest fm and sw, follow up the steps exactly and you'll get upgraded to 1.96.F fm in no time.

Thasiet

Postby Thasiet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 18:37

No sir, not true sir. I just get the same "Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic words" as the original poster. Tried with software 90.10, 90.28, and even the 90.34 that just landed like hot poop on the German's website a few hours ago. Firmwares 1.96D and 1.96F. Meanwhile Aerogator's earlier post intimates, if not outright states, that the problem is on VKB's end.

But just to make sure we're all clear that I'm not a complete moron, I am longtime owner of second Black Box that came with my pedals. This one I can flash all day long, flash to the Gunfighter+Kosmosima FW, flash back to rudder FW, no issues. Would just like to see the other one be capable of the same.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:36

Unfortunately one can't open the cave mouth without mumbling the magic words, no matter how boring or annoying would that be :))
It's strange though to have one BB working and the other not working with the same FM and SW and following the same procedure...

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 16:28

@Lazy_8 how did you go? I am curious if you fixed this issue and how?

Return to “Technical Support”