Can't Remove Cam Assembly from T-Rudder Mk. IV

Moderator: AdminGroup

joeyjojojunior

Can't Remove Cam Assembly from T-Rudder Mk. IV

Postby joeyjojojunior » Thu Jul 04, 2019 23:51

Hello,

Just got my T-Rudders today. I followed the directions in the video on the VKB site on how to disassemble the pedals to remove the cam assembly. I'm sure I removed all the necessary bolts. The assembly feels loose and can be jiggled around, but I can't actually seem to remove it. I tried to apply some pressure to the cam posts but it won't budge. It appears to be stuck at the bearing. Any ideas on how to proceed? I don't want to break anything.

Thanks

joeyjojojunior

Re: Can't Remove Cam Assembly from T-Rudder Mk. IV

Postby joeyjojojunior » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34

Ok, I was finally able to get it out. I had to flip it over and push on the base to get enough force to pop the cam assembly out. I saw this method used in the Mk III video. When I did this, the bearing stayed stuck in the housing. Here's what concerns me. After taking it apart the first time, I applied some lubricant to the cam post going through the bearing and the outside of the bearing as well hoping that this would make things easier in the future. I tried taking it apart again after that to try the soft center cam. While it was a bit easier this time, I still had to flip it over and push on the base to pop it out. The bearing also came out this time. But then the bearing was stuck so much on the cam post that I had to slowly lift it off using a screwdriver as a lever over about ~5 mins. In the video it seems like an easy thing where they just lift it up off the cam post. Remember that I previously lubed the cam post, so I would have expected the bearing to slide on fairly easily.

Is this normal? A tolerance issue?

joeyjojojunior

Re: Can't Remove Cam Assembly from T-Rudder Mk. IV

Postby joeyjojojunior » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:22

Another problem I discovered. When adjusting the footrest, there was a grinding noise/feel in one of the bolts. Upon closer inspection, there is some damage to the piece beside the nut for that bolt, as well as the slot where it grinds against.

Here's a pic demonstrating some of the damage:

I asked about this on the unofficial VKB discord and another member informed me that this is apparently the wrong nut:

I don't have those particular nuts in that image above. Just the square ones. I haven't made any modifications to my rudders and they're just a few days old. This is the first time I adjust the footrests, so I'm sure I haven't lost or misplaced anything. Really confused about what's going on here...

Return to “Technical Support”