How to Convert POV1 to Elevator and Aileron Trim Function?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Bingo041

How to Convert POV1 to Elevator and Aileron Trim Function?

Postby Bingo041 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:21

Hi All,

HW = Gunfighter Pro
SW = VKB Config v0.19.19
VW = V1.96D

Currently I am configuring Linda, a special program used to set up buttons for P3D and FSX aircraft. Unfortunately, the Gunfighter POV1 only shows up as one button in Linda. Most Joystick HATS I have used in the past were either 4-way or 8-way buttons, so I would at expect to see at least 4 separate button presses at a minimum? I want to use the vertical direction to handle elevator trim and horizontal for aileron trim.

What I would like to do is set up POV to have the following button presses to represent 4 way button configuration (using letters to represent whatever are assigned by VKB software):

Up = Button A
Down = Button B
Left = Button C
Right = Button D

I have looked at the POV Profile and found the tab that describes the POV Profile section

Not knowing what to do, I attempted to select NUMPAD under the “Output” pull down menu (my guess as to what to select).

However, I didn’t know how to save my selection to the GF Pro Joystick.

Any guidance would be most appreciated as I have no idea how to do this?

Bill Clark

fallout9

Re: How to Convert POV1 to Elevator and Aileron Trim Function?

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:14

Change the POV Type from Discrete to LoRes 4w and the Output from POV to Buttons V.
Set up Axes 1 and 2 as Trimmer controlled, set up buttons 41 to 44 as Trimmers for axes 1 and 2, set up a different button as Trimmer reset.
Don't forget to hit Set to save the changes.
Let me know if you need more details, I could post some screenshots if you'd prefer.

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58

fallout,

Thanks for the quick response.

My only questions, where is the save button, and yes screen shots would be most helpful if not too much trouble?

Bill Clark

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:32

Hi Bill,

It's actually the Set button, you'll find it by pressing on the Action tab.
Birst please follow this guide so you'd get properly flashed and calibrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht8yMsdlCQ
After that go to Profile tab -> POVs and change the following: POV Type, from LoRes 8w to LoRes 4w; Output from POV to Buttons V. Click Set button (Image 1). If you want to set up trimmers in game you should stop here - now you have 4 buttons on your ministick that you could assign in game. If you want to set up more advanced trimmers see below.
Go to Profile -> Axes -> Physical axes and set the Trimmer + ( or -) to axes X and Y (1 and 2). Click Set button (Image 2).
Go to Profile -> Buttons and set the buttons #41 and #43 as Trimmers for axis 2 and buttons #42 and #44 as Trimmers for axis 1. Each axis should have a Trimmer + and a Trimmer -. I've made them Auto Trimmers so they would affect the axis only during button press. You could adjust the multiplier to your preference. Hit Set button (Image 3).
That's pretty much of it, but you have lots of options here, like setting up the direction of the trim by changing the + and - on the buttons, setting up fixed trimmers with a trimmer reset button etc.
Hope this was helpful.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 23:03

Fallout9.

Wow, your suggestions fixed my issue...........I'm really happy about that.

This now works the way I want it to in DCS and P3D, as it issues button presses in all 4 directions.

Also, it retains the capability to use the as an axis if needed later (have to press the center button to change states.

I didn't need the advanced trimmers you suggested in you last two images as it works in the two sims I fly.

However, if I ever do, I have saved all three images and your instructions to my PC.

Thanks for going to all this trouble, really appreciate your help.

Bill Clark

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 0:37

Fallout9,

Unfortunately, I discovered another issue, when I look at the buttons assigned after I made the initial changes, there are conflicts:

Up = Button 128
Down = Button 2
Right = Button 1
Left = Button 3

However:
Button 1 is assigned the 1st trigger detent
Button 2 is assigned to 2nd trigger detent
Button 3 is assigned to the flop down lever when pulled.

I assume these are all physical buttons or Logical?

Is there a way to reassign new numbers that don't conflict with other defined buttons (for example, would using 127, 126 or 125 be free and available)?

Bill Clark

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23

If you'd program the commands in game you should get inputs 41, 42, 43 and 44 from that ministick. But I have no idea how your game and that Linda software you were mentioning are interpreting those inputs.
Download the Joy Tester https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/u ... Tester.zip and check those buttons. Let me know if you get other results from them except of 41 to 44 actuations.

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:03

Fallout9,

What happened, when I entered what you suggested in image 1 above, the starting button was at 128, and at the time, it didn't initially catch my attention. The subsequent numbers it generated were 1, 2 and 3 as it looped around from the largest number (128), which were the trigger and pull down lever. The number in this box seems to be the starting number.

After looking on the web I got a hint on what I needed to do, So I set the number to 100 in image A (circled in red) and when I saved to the device, it generated the numbers 101, 102, and 103. To make sure this choice didn't conflict with either the physical or logical buttons in VKB Configuration software, I checked the two tables shown in image B and C (Physical/Logical buttons).

Since my throttle is a not a VKB device, I have plenty of room in the tables.

As it turns out, the Linda application I used to assigned buttons to aircraft in P3D, also saw 100, 101, 102, and 103.

Unless I am missing something, I feel my issue is now solved, what do you think?

Bill
Attachments
Image C.jpg
Image B.jpg
Image A.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:37

That number for button#1 (100 in your case) is the lead for the row of 4 buttons to be assigned to you POV. Doesn't really matter as long as your game is recognizing 104 inputs per device or more, it'll work. For DCS that would work as it recognizes 128 buttons, but Il-2 won't read those inputs, as it's maxing out at 64.
Glad you're set up, fly safe!

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:12

So I gather 40 or 50 would be a safe number, because I may put IL2 on my system in the future?

Thanks again for your help fallout9,

Bill Clark

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15

That's correct. Also check the Logical layer at the end to make sure there are the same numbers as that's what's the output to the game.

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 22:00

I changed my initial button starting point to 40, which generates Buttons 40, 41, 42, and 43.

These same Button numbers now show up in the button menus of DCS, P3D and Linda correctly.

Everything works as I had hoped it would.

Thanks,
Bill Clark

gordon220

Postby gordon220 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:04

fallout9
You seem to know your way around the config tool.

1) I have just replaced my Gladiator MkII with the Gunfighter Pro WWII and can not get #3 button (pinkie) to work as Shift. When trying to key map in IL2 it appears as another button.

2) Button #5 is dead. In the config profile test I get no reaction to pressing the POV to the right. I've tried designating it as Hat with 4 way pov and as a simple button but it does not register.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:37

1) If the pinkie buttons is set up as Shift why would you try to map it in game? If the button is programmed as Shift it's supposed to change the number of the other buttons on your grip. Try to run a test with this program: https://vkbcontrollers.com/wp-content/u ... Tester.zip. Press all the buttons on the grip, then press the pinkie button and press the buttons on the grip again. The outputs showed in Tester should be different from the first set.
2) Unfortunately I don't have the KG12 grip to test, but it would help if you could post some screenshots with Profile/ Buttons/ Physical layer and Profile/ Buttons/ POVs.

gordon220

Postby gordon220 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02

The test shows what I have been experiencing and described above.
Which profile should I download for the Gunfighter WWII Pro? All profiles are for Mamba,Gladiator etc - nothing for Gunfighter WWII (Vintage)
Button #5 (right pov) is dead. I get no reaction when pressing it.
I don't understand what you want in the way of screen shots when a button is dead or when the shift won't shift.
I'm not an idiot and I'm not a noob. I am a recently retired telecom engineer.
I've just spent $400 on this new joystick with extension and gave away my Gladiator MkII to a friend. Now I am grounded.
Sorry if I come off as unappreciative but I'm beating my head against the wall trying to get this damned thing to cooperate.

Return to “Technical Support”