VKB Black Box Lights, what do they mean?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 21:05

I have the following: VKB – Sim Modern Gunfighter Pro V1.96D (flashed it myself successfully)

FW - _BlackBox_GF_MCG_PRO_V1_96_D.VKB

The device seems to be working ok, and I was able to calibrate all the axis’s, and everything seems to work well, however on the “Black Box,” the following are illuminated:

STICK – Solid Green
BUS – Solid Green
SYS – Solid Red
Pedals – Not illuminated because I don’t have them

Before it was a combination of Green and Blue lights, both solid color (don’t remember which functions)

So what does this solid Red light mean, I assume the other indicators are ok?

Bill Clark

Victorus

Re: VKB Black Box Lights, what do they mean?

Postby Victorus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 22:16

"2.5.1. Overview
Standard LEDs
LEDs can be used to indicate joystick state. For example Mamba series joystick case has six LEDs, Gladiator has two LEDs......"

From here https://yadi.sk/i/q0b3WFGFRyQEfQ. VKB controllers user guide.
By default some events assigned to LEDs. You can reassign them. As for me, I see if additional (virtual) axis trimming roll axis is not in the center. Or when throttle axis has maximal value.

Look here http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2112&p=20631#p20631.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 0:34

I need to clarify, I have the Throttle that is connected to a separate black box.

I didn't assign anything to these lights.

I thought these were status indicator lights, either everything is ok or something is wrong?

Bill Clark

McGraw

Postby McGraw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:05

I think firmware d changed the lights.

I used to have blue/green I think but now have red/green

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40

I made my lights flash all different colors for fun, they mean what you want them to mean

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 17:20

Bingo041 wrote:I need to clarify, I have the Throttle that is connected to a separate black box.
I didn't assign anything to these lights.
I thought these were status indicator lights, either everything is ok or something is wrong?
Bill Clark

BB LEDs have some default assignments. You can look at User guide and clarify what they mean. See events. For example - button is pressed, MARS sensors OK etc. What throttle do you use?
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:18

I looked thru the directory of the manual, and didn't find anything about "Events."

As to throttle, I have a Virpil unit.......this unit was not plugged in when it did all the steps below.

When I first got the Joystick unit and plugged it in, the lights were green with one Blue light illuminated.

After flashing to the latest firmware, the Blue light changed to Red, not sure which LED it originally was. Other than calibrating the axis after flashing, I tested all the axis and buttons, they all work great.....I changed nothing else.

So with only doing those two simple things, I still have no idea why the light turned Red, or what the Red light means, and I have to assume that the remaining two Green lights is a good sign, the Red light is not?

Does this mean I have a problem, or is everything OK, simple question?

I don't plan on using all the fancy software/firmware features, your hardware design speaks well for the products design, which is why I chose it. Two of my friends have the same joystick as I have.

Bill Clark

helios

Postby helios » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:30

First of all, you have to give up a basic concept of "something went wrong or you have done something wrong when an indicator light changed"

I would like to share my experience, if you found that any of the LED color changed after firmware update, don't panic too fast, mostly nothing went wrong, it just because the new firmware changed the LED color settings, don't know why VKB keeps changing the LED color on almost every firmware, maybe for some reasons.

So, before you update the firmware, you have to record all LED colors, take a screenshot of the LED settings & export a profile when all LED's in correct color, then follow steps below.

1. download all latest files from VKB official website
2. make sure you have the correct firmware
3. place the ZBootloader, VKBdevCfg & firmware in a same folder
3. run the VKBdevCfg program
4. open the ZBootloader in VKBdevCfg, the VKBdevCfg will then closed the VKBdevCfg itself
5. select the correct firmware in ZBootloader then flash your flight sitck
6. when the firmware update is done, go back to the VKBdevCfg, reset your flight stick to factory default
7. re-calibrate your flight stick
8. import your saved profile, then all LED's should back to original, but sometimes it may not correct your LED color, then you have to modify the LED color settings manually by compare with the screenshot that you token

Hopefully this can help people to fix it. :)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29

This is wrong, the LEDs are the same in each new version of fm. The blinking red light comes from user not setting up the device correctly.

I remember recommending this resolve to you a few days ago and you said it wouldn't work, how come it's working now? I'm genuinely interested to find this out as, as much as I tried by flashing fms and making different combinations fms/configurators, I've never been able to replicate the flashing LED issue.

helios

Postby helios » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54

In my case, the blinking red LED not about setting up my device incorrectly, I have done all procedures right and my flight stick works perfectly except the LED.

Yes, that's why I said sometimes it won't work (it seems all depends on the firmware) and have to modify the LED color manually and that's why I said have to take a screenshot of the LED settings
Last edited by helios on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:05, edited 2 times in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02

I disagree, but I'm not here to teach you or to change your mind; I would suggest you modify your post as it's misguiding for new users.

helios

Postby helios » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:09

I won't argue with you on this point, if you think I have done something wrong about the procedure, please point it out.

Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:05

It looks like I got my answer:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3689

I'm OK!

Bill Clark

helios

Postby helios » Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:12

Yes, I got my answer too, thanks for AeroGator's explanation, that is more specific.

McGraw

Postby McGraw » Fri Jun 28, 2019 0:09

fallout9 wrote:This is wrong, the LEDs are the same in each new version of fm. The blinking red light comes from user not setting up the device correctly.

I remember recommending this resolve to you a few days ago and you said it wouldn't work, how come it's working now? I'm genuinely interested to find this out as, as much as I tried by flashing fms and making different combinations fms/configurators, I've never been able to replicate the flashing LED issue.

I had blinking red and was doing nothing wrong.

Return to “Technical Support”