Unstable Configure Program

Moderator: AdminGroup

arduvkb

Unstable Configure Program

Postby arduvkb » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55

Just purchased the Gunfighter MkII. ( This has the black box, in case that is an issue.)
Tried to configure but found the program was extremely unstable. Most of the time it would lock up soon after starting. Eventually I started it and was able to configure the stick after ( I think ) flashing the operating file. However, when I tested the stick only the two axis worked. None of the buttons. I followed the process employing the default button, etc., as instructed. I also tried amending the config file to add the lines listed in the chart at 10.1.
Now the configure program starts but locks up.
Any ideas what I've done incorrectly and how to fix the configure prog?

Thanks
R

arduvkb

Re: Unstable Configure Program

Postby arduvkb » Sat Jun 22, 2019 0:40

Replying to my original post:
I have placed all programs in the same folder, etc. When the configure program was opened I flashed using _BlackBox_GF_MGC_v1_96_D.vkb
Hopefully that was the appropriate firmware to flash. Hard to tell and even hard to tell if it was necessary to flash.
Ran the configure program as administrator. Program appeared to operate fine. It reported I needed to configure the stick. Started to but the buttons, once again would not report as being configured. The axis did show that they were programed.
Still can't find why the buttons won't program.
For info, the Black Box shows a red, blinking light by the "stick", left side. The SYS led shows blue. No other LEDs are illuminated.
Thanks for any help.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Sat Jun 22, 2019 0:54

Look at my last post under "Stick LED Blinkin Red After SET"
Maybe it helps you. And try it with v1_95_B

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06

Usually the VKBdevCfg app is pretty stable; have you tried other versions to see if they might work better for you? Have a look here: https://mega.nz/#F!Vk8AzAAR!eqrWwOzJAZIMSmBRQjiaIw

Also, red Stick LED blinking usually means two things 1) grip not correctly seated on joystick base so they don't communicate, or 2) issue with the firmware flash (- or what Stonehenge said above).

But first have a look and see if you find a more stable VKBdevCfg version for you...
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:02

arduvkb wrote:For info, the Black Box shows a red, blinking light by the "stick", left side. The SYS led shows blue. No other LEDs are illuminated.

I've just uploaded a guide for flashing new firmware and calibrating your device. Take a look, maybe there's something you missed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ht8yMsdlCQ

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:15

This might sound out of left field but do you have the programs in a folder on your desktop perhaps? Are you running Windows 10? If so you might check Windows defender and see whether or not you have folder protection (I am away from my computer and don't have the exact name of the feature) turned on.

This is a relatively new setting that seems to get defaulted on with certain updates and really wreaks havoc with anything that is trying to write to an ini and or config file.

this setting activated on me recently and caused all sorts of problems and crashes of simple things like vkbJoytester
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

arduvkb

Postby arduvkb » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:46

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Zero at the USA web support site sent me a zip file with tools. Ran the configure file from there with little difficulty. Sent him screen shots from my efforts to configure the stick. He quickly determined the stick was not communicating with the base. Reattached and made sure to put downward pressure on the stick during the process.
Also learned there is no need to flash a new stick.

So, some observations. The above information should be part of the quick start info that comes with the stick. And some quick comments about how to check the connection of the stick to the base, as it is rather obvious once one knows what the software is showing. ( If this info is in fact clearly available in the quick start info, I missed it, and full apologies! ) Also a simple way ( maybe there is, but it's not simple for me... ) for the new user to check which version of the firmware came with his stick.

Anyway, it was great to find support very quickly and very effective!

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Tue Jun 25, 2019 15:20

It's basically all spelled out in the first line of VKBdevCfg, e.g.: "VKB-Sim Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro (firmware version)". :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

McGraw

Postby McGraw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:55

Now that I have sorted my flashing red leds, my CFG software also locks up regularly. It never did before.

I followed the youtube tutorial exactly.

Stick works perfectly. I must admit I am becoming slightly concerned that there is a gremlin in my blackbox.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31

McGraw wrote:there is a gremlin in my blackbox.

There is a gang of four gremlins there. Don't leave it in the kids' bedroom! :twisted:
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”