MCG Gunfighter Mk.II Pro weird Joy_x axis spiking

Moderator: AdminGroup

Rlaxoxo

MCG Gunfighter Mk.II Pro weird Joy_x axis spiking

Postby Rlaxoxo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 17:35

I have uploaded a short demo about an issue I'm having.

Could someone tell me if this is indicative of a hardware fault and if it is how could I fix it?

Issue:
After not using the stick for a day or two then plugging it in again, by moving the joy_x axis the axis spikes hard.
The issue occurs if I leave the stick plugged in as well.

It fixes itself in around a minute after I use the "reboot" function in the VKB .cfg tool.
The joystick works well until I don't use it again for some time.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y566pvbRt-w&t=0s

Pic of the internals: https://i.imgur.com/z1WGPqK.jpg

fallout9

Re: MCG Gunfighter Mk.II Pro weird Joy_x axis spiking

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 19:33

Looking at that picture there are couple of (very) wrong things in there:
- on the Y axis springs don't have sleeves; they could get caught into each other.
- on the X axis there's only one spring - this doesn't necessarily needs a sleeve, but it sits on a front and a back channels - push it all the way to the back channels.

Have you calibrate properly the device? By pushing the stick all the way (until it hits the edge) up and down, left and right?

Rlaxoxo

Postby Rlaxoxo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 19:44

Yes, it's calibrated, The stick has been in this configuration for more than 6 months and it worked well in that period so it's a non-issue.
I don't really like the sleeves on the springs they rub on each other.
Having the spring on X-axis positioned like this gives me extra tension in the middle so it returns to center easier and I like it this way.

I noticed an issue occurring after tried updating the firmware one day and got the RED LED issue then solved it by upgrading to the latest firmware/software.
I just wanted to make sure if this looks like a hardware issue cause it's pretty weird since it works well after a reboot and few minutes of usage.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 20:29

Feel free to calibrate your device after a long idle. This removes such questions. In this case, it is desirable to open the Profile-Axes tab and observe the changed KdHi and KdLo numbers after a reboot.

Rlaxoxo

Postby Rlaxoxo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 21:41

Thanks for the reply.

I assume it's these 2 columns? (https://i.imgur.com/uGy5IKf.png)
What do they mean if you don't mind?

I just re-calibrated my stick again but not quite sure if this would fix the issue I'm having since I calibrated the stick quite recently after new firmware update when I tried solving the RED LED thing.

Roke

Postby Roke » Tue Jun 18, 2019 15:06

Something to bear in mind: viewtopic.php?t=3210

I've experienced exactly the same issue; frustratingly intermittent, sometimes restarting the unit or re-attaching the grip would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Having disconnected and reconnected the X-axis wiring in the base (see topic above, although my wires weren't that loose) the problem is resolved. I am concerned it will re-occur at some point, though.

Rlaxoxo

Postby Rlaxoxo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 18:09

Thanks for the info!

Looks like my fiddling around with the stick yesterday fixed something loose I guess.
Plugged it in today and the issue wasn't there.

Looks like good old Nintendo blow into cartridge plug it out/in method works..
But I'm not gonna deny the results.

But we'll see if similar issue occurs if I leave the stick for a few days idle-ing.

redribbon

Postby redribbon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19

Roke wrote:Something to bear in mind: viewtopic.php?t=3210

I've experienced exactly the same issue; frustratingly intermittent, sometimes restarting the unit or re-attaching the grip would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Having disconnected and reconnected the X-axis wiring in the base (see topic above, although my wires weren't that loose) the problem is resolved. I am concerned it will re-occur at some point, though.

yup it will appear again and it is annoying, i guess maintenance for loose wires and connectors are needed every few months!

Return to “Technical Support”