is the kosmosima supposed to feel like this?

Moderator: AdminGroup

glaukos

is the kosmosima supposed to feel like this?

Postby glaukos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35

I just got a new Kosmosima, and I'm trying to get it set up. Right now the action feels really terrible though. It takes almost no force at all to move the stick off of center, but it takes progressively more and more force as I move the stick farther away from center. I've tried adjusting the dampers, but fundamentally what I need is not simply a looser action or a tighter action. I need the action to be tighter near the center and looser at the extremes. Because right now the center is so loose I'll probably need a massive dead zone, but it takes a ridiculous amount of force to reach maximum deflection. I'm not sure how simply adjusting the dampers or changing the springs would fix that.

Ron61

Re: is the kosmosima supposed to feel like this?

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23

Take the trouble to provide information according to this post - and I assure you, help will come immediately.

glaukos

Postby glaukos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 18:27

1 - Gunfighter Mk.II ‘Space Combat Edition’ w/ SCG Premium-R(ight) Grip
2 - Controller Firmware version - N/A
3 - Number and type of springs used - default
4 - Тype of cams used - default
5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version - N/A

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 19:44

glaukos, what you're experiencing is due to the shape of the cams. These are progressive cams where the further you deflect the stick, the firmer the resistant gets. Its in the design of the cams. The GF was initially produced with their WWII stick and I assume because of that, the cams were made this way. It's intent is to simulate resistance on aircraft where the stick is mechanically connected to the ailerons and elevators for pitching and rolling. However, for the Kosmosima, this feel and function is entirely out of place and what it would require is a linear cam where resistance does not increase with deflection. It's an entirely reasonable thing to do and competitive products like Virpil currently produce cams like that.

VKB! Designing and manufacturing a set of linear cams would go a long way for nearly everyone that has purchased a Kosmosima. I expect a large part of your business is space simmers and all of 'em would probably prefer a linear feel. If it is going to be an extensive amount of time to produce linear cams, consider making a 1:1 scale PDF document of their shape so that those of us with tools can make our own. I recall previous discussions about VKB having cam designing software that speeds up the process, is this correct?

Cheers,

Jorki Rasalas

Postby Jorki Rasalas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:14

Glaukos, I have the same problem with my new SCGs for Elite Dangerous and agree, the default cams do not have a good feel for spacesims. I took the rubber dustcovers off which helped, though I ended up pushing them back onto the sticks to help keep out biscuit crumbs but leaving off the fixing rings (must come up with a better arrangement!); I found the dustcover rubber folds press together and increase the apparent “spring tension” over approximately the last third of axis movement. It’s probably not noticeable by players of traditional flight sims, especially if they use stick extensions, but is very noticeable for a spacesim.
I changed the springs to the weakest (#10) on both sticks but for the moment have left on the default #10 cams, may try changing them to #30 soon in an attempt to improve the feel since they are supposed to be a bit more linear than the #10 but have a centre detent. In the end I removed the left Y axis spring entirely and fully tightened the damper for use as a throttle (I use pinky button as reverse).

I agree it would be really nice if vkb produced a spacesim cam soon, or publish the design as suggested above so we can make our own. It does seem strange that they have developed the kosmosima for space simmers but haven’t produced an appropriate Gunfighter cam.

Gutser

Postby Gutser » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:26

Hi there. I got my kosmosima this week nad have the same problem with it. I´m not able to make a sharp turn after 10 min. PvP. It is much to strong to bend the axis to the limit everytime. And most good fights take much more time at least. Also I´m not satisfy with the twist, it reacts very late. Space Sims are the reason why I got the stick, but I cannot play with this configuration. Did you find a solution?

1 - Gunfighter Mk.II ‘Space Combat Edition’ w/ SCG Premium-R(ight) Grip
2 - Controller Firmware version - N/A
3 - Number and type of springs used - default
4 - Тype of cams used - default
5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version - N/A

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50

We have heard it.
Thank you.
I can see there is not one isolated request but more or less solid public demand for linear cams.
We will sit down to it as soon as time permits - however I can promise that within a few months from now it will not.
There are some really urgent jobs to do, (F14 and TECS to name a couple) - cams may have their time slot some time between this and that, but realistically speaking, they are lower on the list. But they are on the list.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

kosta

Postby kosta » Sun Jun 23, 2019 14:25

I would also very much welcome the linear cams and would buy them immediately.

Jorki Rasalas

Postby Jorki Rasalas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 19:54

@Aerogator: thank you so much, that is very good news!
I would suggest you produce two versions of spacesim linear cams-"Soft-Centre" and "No-Centre"
I look forward to ordering a set of each!

Return to “Technical Support”