New dual Kosmosimas, issues with getting set up

Moderator: AdminGroup

Hyde

New dual Kosmosimas, issues with getting set up

Postby Hyde » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28

I'm the proud owner of 2 new Kosmosimas (with Gunfighter desk base). I'm mostly playing Star Citizen atm but will branch out to other sims now that I have sticks again.

However I'm running into some initial setup issues mostly revolving around the problem that I can't have the sticks plugged in before I run VKB Device Config. If the sticks are plugged in before running DevConfig it will quickly hang when I try to use the program. It LOOKS like it is going to work ... displaying the 2 sticks (1 left, 1 normal) in the top of the program and doing the "get/init device" on the sticks, but as soon as I try to click anywhere the software stops responding and eventually gets the dreaded "Application Not Responding" Windows dialog.

Summary of questions:

• Generally: Anyone seen this issue before and know what I need to do?
  • Is the joysticks being on FW 1.96D but the software showing NJoy 1.96C any kind of problem?
  • Do I need to find a way to just rip old devices out of my registry and try again?
  • Should I just go back to Joystick Gremlin if I was comfortable enough with it? (prefer not to)

Details:

I've tried running as Administrator, that's not helping. I have swapped from directly connecting to my motherboard USB2 or connecting via a powered hub, same behavior. Most times if I only connect the sticks after running DevConfig it will work as expected (but not always, sometimes it stops responding and I have to redo the procedure again).

Doing the "connect sticks after starting program" still has issues with going not responsive. I -was- able to update firmware (sticks were 1.96.7 when I got them if I remember correctly, and are 1.96D now). However even though DevConfig shows the sticks at 1.96.D, the DevConfig title bar shows it as "NJoy firmware 1.96.C". Do I need to do another firmware upgrade? Note: I had the problem with app going unresponsive before the firmware updates as well.

I've tried rebooting a number of times with various changes to get things working and just not having any luck. One of the times I tried to load the app after a fresh boot I had an error pop up something along the lines of "module not found" or something similar.

I thought "maybe I'll just use Wizzo for now" but it seems like Wizzo doesn't do remapping and only sees 1 stick at a time. I've used Joystick Gremlin (with a set of TM 16000 FCS sticks) in the past but was recommended to stick with DevConf for these sticks for getting support.

I've had a number of controller type devices over the years. Off the top of my head: Steam Controller, PS4 via Bluetooth, Xbox 360 controller, dual Thrustmaster TM16000s. However none of those have been connected recently. I also have an EDTracker Wireless but the dongle hasn't been plugged in during this and I make a point of closing the EDTracker (and OpenTrack) software after each boot for now while trying to figure out my problem. I also made a point of uninstalling all Thrustmaster and Joystick Gremlin/vJoy software before even plugging the VKB sticks in.

System:
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 B3
CPU: I7-3770K
RAM: 32GB DDR3

(yeah, it's an old PC, waiting on Zen 2 stuff ... I do have most recent motherboard drivers and am not having other system issues)

VKB Support Request Info

Retyping some of the above in the more concise format:

1 - Device model and version

Gunfighter mk2 Kosomsima dual (left and standard)

2 - Controller Firmware version

1.96D

3 - Number and type of springs used

Both are standard spring config (#20 springs)

4 - Тype of cams used

Right stick is stock config (2x #10 cams)
Left stick has #30 cam on Y, #10 (standard) on X

5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version

VKB Device Config v0.90.19 (NJoy firmware v1.96.C)
Last edited by Hyde on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

AeroGator

Re: New dual Kosmosimas, issues with getting set up

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20

Hyde wrote:I'm the proud owner of 2 new Kosmosimas

Congratulations! Sure everything will work fine after we look into it.
I'm on the fly now so will read your post later, in the meantime please check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2762
and fill me in.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Hyde

Postby Hyde » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56

I updated the end of the original post with questions 1-5

I'm Pacific US time so I'll check for response when I wake :)

I'm able to get the software running, some of the time, by starting it with sticks disconnected and then plugging them in. This works about 50% of the time. The other 50% the software still goes to "not responding" and has to be closed. So ... I can start looking into customizing things but really don't want to have to unplug the sticks every time I need to use the software.

Thanks.

will

Postby will » Wed Jun 05, 2019 19:13

New SCG here; I've run across DevCfg hanging the first time I run it after plugging in the stick, and in those cases I've found I can I run Wizzo, then quit it, and then DevCfg seems to run okay.

I primarily use the stick on a mac, so I don't often plug into the windows machine for devcfg, and so I haven't collected a lot of data on it since that workaround seems to have been effective so far.

denonsix

Postby denonsix » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51

I just got my dual Kosmosimas/GFmk2's as well and having this exact same issue.
I can't launch VKB Device Config without it freezing. It seems Wizzo works ok....

Also if I then try to open Win 10 Game Controllers just to check it also works but freezes for a bit (note i'm not calibrating through Win 10, just testing the output, which registers fine)- just strange its locking up...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:08

Guys, see below a post made a while ago by the software developer:

<<If the hardware loader detects requests to the device that do not comply with the firmware protocol, it stops the process and reports unavailability.
<<
<<These requests can send different programs:
<<VKB
<<1.VKBDevCfg-C.exe
<<2. T-Link.exe (not confirmed)
<<3. Z-Link(2).exe (not confirmed)
<<4. Wizzo

>>non VKB
>>1 Software / drivers for mice and keyboards
>>2 AORUS GRAPHICS ENGINE ( Gigabyte )
>>3. Razor Synapse

>>You need to temporarily deactivate this kind of program

Give it a try and see if it works for you. You could also try changing the USB ports 2.0 <-> 3.0, powered <-> regular etc.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:39

Hyde wrote:I updated the end of the original post with questions 1-5

Great but what about screenshots? We need to see all diagnostic screens.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Hyde

Postby Hyde » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07

I didn't see much point in posting a screenshot of the app working, and the image of the not responding app is exactly the same except for the spinning Windows cursor and dialog box that don't get included in the capture. But ... here it is:

denonsix

Postby denonsix » Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:59

Anyone find a solution to this issue yet? I would like to set sensitivity curves for my two new sticks and it looks like Wizzo doesn't have that option....
Maybe someone knows of an alternative until the Device Config app can be fixed...

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 0:21

Show the folder where the configurator is launched from. Try disabling all joysticks, leaving only one GF with any grip. And describe the problem in a nutshell, without half a page. If not difficult.

Hyde

Postby Hyde » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41

The first few lines of the top post contain the problem.

Software freezes if started with sticks connected.

Software -sometimes- freezes even with sticks disconnected when started, once you then connect a stick.

Has happened even when only plugging in 1 stick after a fresh reboot.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:53

Where is the screenshot of the folder where the configurator is launched from? Leave only one joystick connected. Request - follow the instructions from the first time, without a reminder.

denonsix

Postby denonsix » Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:10

Here is the folder where I launch the configurator from:

Capture.JPG

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 19:32

Look at this post and make the location of the files as shown in the video.

denonsix

Postby denonsix » Mon Jun 10, 2019 22:42

I followed your suggestions (creating a folder, downloading the files, and launching with those files initially so the zconfig.ini was created) and all seems to be working now. Thanks for your help! Now to figure out how to customize everything :wink:

Return to “Technical Support”