T-Rudder with 2 Virtual Brake Axes (no brake button)

Moderator: AdminGroup

coreyo

T-Rudder with 2 Virtual Brake Axes (no brake button)

Postby coreyo » Fri May 03, 2019 10:36

This is a bit of a new spin on an old question. I currently have a gladiator mk II, and I've hooked my T-rudder pedals directly into the gladiator, removing the little blackbox altogether. I was able to get the A2B set up to achieve on/off braking on each wheel via the pedal axis. I would like more fine tuned control, however. My current goals are as follows:

1. create 2 virtual axes: left brake and right brake.
2. When I press the right pedal on my T-rudder, the right brake axis should increase. When I press the left pedal on my T-rudder, the left brake axis should increase. Both should remain at 0 when the T-rudder axis is centered.
3. My joystick does not have a brake trigger, and I do not want to have to press a button for the axes to register. Having the rudders and brakes activate at the same time is what I want.
4. I don't want to have to use any extra software layer to make the axes work.

I have attempted to follow other people's profiles. I set 2 unused axes to 'Combine: BrakeV3' (one with + and one with -), bind the #Axis to 7 on both (my current T-Rudder axis), but so far, when I test the axes, I see no movement when I use the brakes. Any help is appreciated.

Ron61

Re: T-Rudder with 2 Virtual Brake Axes (no brake button)

Postby Ron61 » Fri May 03, 2019 13:15

Display screenshots of the Profiles-Axes, Buttons tab. Here everything is shown clearly.

coreyo

Postby coreyo » Fri May 03, 2019 22:51

Whoops, I accidentally posted this message on the wrong thread. Re-posting it here:

I did manage to figure it out today. Apparently you don't need to use the Combine parameters at all. Here are the basic steps:

1. Identify the physical axis that you want to use as the input. In this case it's My T-Rudder pedals on AxID 7 (Rot Y)
2. Find two axes that are unused. In this case it's AxID 6 (Rot Z) and AxID 8 (Slider)
3. Set the AxID of the two unused axes to the same AxID as the physical input axis (in this case, AxID 7)
4. Make sure that the physical axis has the "Cn" (Axis With Center) box checked. It should NOT be checked for either of the virtual axes.
5. Check the "R" (Physical Data Inversion) checkbox on only one of the virtual axes

That's it. In the bottom "Physical Axes" section, I set the 'Input' value to "Virtual" for both of the virtual axes. I'm not sure if this is necessary at all.

Voila, that's all that's required. One of the virtual axes will be triggered when the physical axis moves to the left. The other will be triggered when the physical axis moves to the right. For me, this is ideal. I can bind the rudders and left/right wheel brakes to the same pedals axis without having to worry holding a button down. For the purposes of maneuvering on the ground, this suits me just fine.

Here's how my setup looks:
TRudder 2 Virtual Axes.png

And here are 2 images showing that each of the virtual axes are bound to the left and right pedals respectively
TRudder  2 Virtual Axes Left Pedal.png

TRudder  2 Virtual Axes Right Pedal.png

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:16

coreyo wrote:2. When I press the right pedal on my T-rudder, the right brake axis should increase. When I press the left pedal on my T-rudder, the left brake axis should increase. Both should remain at 0 when the T-rudder axis is centered.
3. My joystick does not have a brake trigger, and I do not want to have to press a button for the axes to register. Having the rudders and brakes activate at the same time is what I want.

This configuration will result funny if one use in DCS Warbirds (P-51, Bf 109, Fw 190...), because in take-off run is need use rudder, and applying side brake at same time will have nasty effects. :twisted: :mrgreen:

coreyo

Postby coreyo » Sun May 05, 2019 5:10

@Sokol1 , I have considered that. It's not really a problem at all for the C-101. In the case that it does become a problem in other planes, I can bind the axis + modifier/switch in DCS World itself for the toe brakes. In that case, it will ignore the toe brakes when the modifier button is not held.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Tue May 07, 2019 17:22

Before the release of T-Link I have tried "axis2button" and "axis2axes" options, but testing in DCS Bf 109 and Fw 190 I give up of the idea fast. :mrgreen:

trisho0

Postby trisho0 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 23:22

To set up separate brakes on the left and right pedals from VKB-Sim T-Rudder MkIV will result funny because in take-off run, we need to use rudder, and applying side brake at same time will have nasty effects.
Is this correct?

NikonGuy

Postby NikonGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:18

I set up my T Rudder for differential braking.
Works beautifully :)

Cheers

NikonGuy

trisho0

Postby trisho0 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:33

How do you do that?
Pat

NikonGuy

Postby NikonGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 16:09

I'll post some screen shots in the morning.

NikonGuy

Postby NikonGuy » Thu Jan 05, 2023 16:12

trisho0 wrote:To set up separate brakes on the left and right pedals from VKB-Sim T-Rudder MkIV will result funny because in take-off run, we need to use rudder, and applying side brake at same time will have nasty effects.
Is this correct?

You can set the brakes to come on at a set percentage of axis travel. So only uses rudder/nws for first 20% of axis, after 20% the brakes come into effect.

trisho0

Postby trisho0 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 17:45

I am new to this and don't know the procedures step by step. I have the VKB-Sim T-Rudder MkIV plugged directly to the VKB Gladiator Pro MKII base without Blackbox. I don't want to use the blackbox too many wires (lol).
Pat

NikonGuy

Postby NikonGuy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:24

This is how I set up differential braking for my game in Aces High 3.
I used Axis 1 & 2 as a copy of Axis 7 (Default Axis).

Open VKB Config
Click VKB Sim T-Rudder in your top window
Select Your Profile Tab and use two axis' that are not in use (in my case 7 is the main axis, so I used 1 & 2)

1. Tick Enable Axis (EN)
2. Tick Visible in HID(Vs)
3. I set Precision same as Original Axis (in this case Axis 7)
4. Set Combine to Average.
5. Set Sign to Axis 1 Positive & Axis 2 Negative.
6. (IMPORTANT) Set #Axis to 7 (Your default Axis Number that you are copying)
7. Set Percentage to whatever you want (this is the point of axis movement where braking starts to take effect), in my case 10% of axis travel, am going to increase is though.
8. Press SET to load to your pedals.
9. Go to Test Tab (see images below)

Once set up, go to your game and bind the new axis' to your Left & Right Brakes.

Original Default Setting
TR1.png
T Rudder Default Setting

Modified Setting
TR2.png
T Rudder with Diff Braking Setup

Your Test Tab will like like this on start
TR3.png
T Rudder Default Test Tab

And should look like this after modification
TR4.png
T Rudder Modified Test Tab

Pressing Left Rudder (Axis RotX) Increases Axis X
TR5.png

Pressing Right Rudder (Axis RotX) Increases Axis Y
TR6.png

Additionally, I set a button on my stick as a park brake.

Hope this helps :)
Dont forget to save a back up file just in case ;)

NikonGuy

trisho0

Postby trisho0 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:33

I found discrepancies between Pressing Left Rudder and Pressing Right Rudder pictures.
Did you notice that? Is that the way to go?
Pat

NikonGuy

Postby NikonGuy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:15

What discrepancies did you find?

The X and Y axis used for the brakes does not use centering whereas the ROTX Axis (Rudder Axis) does use centering at 32,767
When you press the left rudder to 0, the X Axis (Left Brake) will go from 0 to 65,565 (no centering on this axis).
Equally the right rudder moving from 32,767 to 65,565 will move the Y Axis (Right Brake) from 0 to 65,565).

This setup works perfectly for me in my gaming :)
I use an axis on the stick for both brakes together and also works as a park brake.

NikonGuy

Return to “Technical Support”