Kosmosima GF II Blue/Red grip LED's turn off and reset.

Moderator: AdminGroup

redlir

Kosmosima GF II Blue/Red grip LED's turn off and reset.

Postby redlir » Mon Apr 15, 2019 19:59

1 - Kosmosima Gunfighter II ( I own multiple with the same issue)
2 - Controller Firmware version 1.96.7
3 - 2x 10 Springs ( in first unit) 2x 20 Springs ( in second unit)
4 - #30 cam in both units
5 - VKB Software v0.89.76

When I received my initial handle for my existing Gunfighter II base ( from my MCG Pro), I noticed this issue, but I just figured it was an early firmware issue, as the stick still seemed to function fine.

Now that I've received 2 other full kits, I can reproduce this issue across multiple pieces of hardware. I.e. Using 2 different left handles, with 2 different Gunfighter II bases, with 2 different black boxes. The issue exists swapping each of these components. A couple of other people I know are experiencing the same exact issue as well, so I'm here trying to find a solution.

If I move the stick a bit, after a while the blue LED and red LED ( analog hat) on the stick vanish. Usually rocking back and forth on the Y axis, if the stick is near the full X deflection will reproduce the issue.
The blue light basically goes white, and then both LEDs shut off. The stick is still in the proper mode though. I.e. the analog hat is still acting as an axis and not POV. If you click the hat twice, the red light come back on, but the blue light never comes back. Eventually moving around the handle some more, the white light flickers on and off again, almost like it's resetting when you first plug in the black box to USB.

The black box itself though, does not show the stick disconnecting. The green LED for the grip stays fully illuminated, and there doesn't seem to be a break in the stick axis when the lights turn off. For example, if you hold the analog hat full deflection, the axis reads full deflection in the test software, even as the lights turn off on the handle. The device doesn't vanish in the VKB Config software or Windows USB devices.

I've swapped out multiple pieces of hardware and can still reproduce.
I've reseated and checked the physical connection multiple times.
I've also reset the black boxes to factory default, after putting the config in developer mode.

rrohde

Re: Kosmosima GF II Blue/Red grip LED's turn off and reset.

Postby rrohde » Mon Apr 15, 2019 22:46

I've pinged Alex Oz to have a look.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

redlir

Postby redlir » Wed Apr 17, 2019 16:01

I believe I may have solved it I will keep testing.

- Initially I reflashed the black box and reseated the wires in the base ( without disconnected the grip). The issue did not come back.
- I suspected it may have been a bad fw flash, but I checked against my other black box which was not reflashed, but I could not reproduce the issue now.
- In the end I disconnected and fully reseated the wires in both the bases and I was not able to reproduce for 8 hours yesterday using the grip on either base.

I'll keep monitoring to see if the issue returns after normal usage.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Wed May 01, 2019 4:37

EDIT: Actually, you know what I suspect? I bet it was the grip not being fully seated on the base that was causing a brief disconnect or something. I opened up the gimbal and reseated all the connectors as well as disconnected and reconnected the grip and I noticed I could see just a bit of the aluminum shaft under the base of the grip. When I reassembled it I made sure to press firmly on the grip while I tightened it. I also recall pressing firmly on the grip all the times before, but possibly it's wiggled just a little loose after yanking and twisting on it. For those that have experienced this issue from the beginning, possibly the grip wasn't seated properly at first but if you're not having the issue it's now seated well.

One of the things I like the least about the Kosmosima is the plastic base of the twist mechanism. On the MCG it's aluminum and when I tighten it down with the clamp I can tell when it's firmly tightened. On the plastic base of the SCG, I feel like I can keep turning that bolt in and in and in, so I don't want to do it too much less I crack something. This likely means I haven't tightened it enough and so it may loosen up like the example above.

END EDIT

Having this same issue. While flying in Star Citizen, my Lefthand SCG RGB LED turns white and then turns off.
Worked fine since I've had it but it started when I disconnected the SCG to do some sim pit tinkering this weekend. After everything was back together, I did a test flight and then it began.
First with default firmware on the grip and now running most recent VKBDevConfig 90.13 with Firmware _BlackBox_GF_SCG_L_v1_96_C. I've tried reflashing several times and defaulting it, etc. Now I'm going to try the re-seating trick to see if that makes it happy.

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:29

Please ensure your joystick is 100% seated correctly

Zorik

Postby Zorik » Wed May 01, 2019 16:15

I was facing similar issue in the past.

https://youtu.be/NSsUyq-MJKY

Currently everything is fine.

jmoney

Postby jmoney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11

I've had my dual Kosmosima Premiums for a couple months now and just had my very first issue similar to this just now on my left stick.

Playing Star Citizen as usual but I noticed the blue light was out on my left stick and the black-box had a red blinking light. Hitting buttons and moving stick on the X & Y axis (pitch & Yaw) made the black-box light turn green, but as soon as I twisted the stick the black-Box light blinked red and both the blue + red stick light flashed on and off. I restarted my PC, and even unplugged then reconnected the left stick cable. The issue persisted. VKB_JoyTester wasn't registering twist movements.

I finally went into VKBDevCfg-C and re-calibrated the left stick. Blue light came back on the stick and black box is back to green. Twist is registering fine now too. So far it's been good again for the past hour after that. This issue does have me concerned though. If you need more information let me know.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32

No lights on the grip and red light flashing on the Black Box means no contact (or poor) between the grip and base from my experience. Even if it's working now, could you try to tighten the locking mechanism screw and see if it was a bit loose?

jmoney

Postby jmoney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:14

Thanks for the reply. I used the included silver allen key to tighten the screw that secures the grip to the base. I gave it a few turns with no force so hopefully that's all it was. I did the same to the right stick.

Do they come lose over time, or is it normal to have re-tighten a little more after some use? I thought I had tightened them well a couple months ago.

EDIT: Looking at the pictures above my left stick wasn't 100% flat/down all the way. I could see a tiny little bit of the pin when I pushed down the rubber cover. I took the screw out, re-seated the stick nice and flat, then reattached it to the base and tightened the screw. Both sticks are seated 100% flat now (right stick already was). Hopefully that's all it was. Thanks again!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27

As with any mechanism that slides, rotates, turns etc, it's a good idea to check it on from time to time.
So if you said that there was still room for a few turns without applying too much force I would say the screw was pretty loose. Hard to say if it got loose in time or you simply haven't tighten it enough the first time; what I'm sure is that you'll figure it out next time when you'll check on it as now you know :))

nneeee

Postby nneeee » Mon May 25, 2020 23:04

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am having a similar issue.

1 - VKB SCG Premium-L (3-pin Rev.A) & Gunfighter Mk.1 upgraded to Mk.3
2 - Controller Firmware version v1.98F
3 - 20 Springs on both
4 - Space-H on both
5 - VKBDevCfg v0.91.22

I've tried reseating the grip to make sure it is 100% connected with the locking fastener. I've also tried recalibrating the grip in VKBDevCfg.

During Zero event, LED 10 is light blue colour.

I haven't been able to reproduce this every time, but after moving the axis around, LED 10 will turn white and LED 11 (the small dot) will turn on red.

Both of these LEDs will stay on for a second or so, before LED 10 returning back to light blue and LED 11 turning off.

All inputs seem to be registering and the stick connection LED on the BlackBox is green and does not change.

Any ideas?

AshDarko

Postby AshDarko » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:00

Just started happening now on my 2month old stick. Did anyone have anything to help solve this? I have reseated joystick a few times now, reset firmware to default and then to the latest, 2.02. Still losing connection when I twist left or right. Really disappointed about this. My X55 lasted 8 years before issue at a third of the price

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47

My good man, your issue is clear - a cable is disconnected. You'll get the part; please wait for the vendor to respond.

alex75

Postby alex75 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 16:56

AshDarko wrote:Just started happening now on my 2month old stick. Did anyone have anything to help solve this? I have reseated joystick a few times now, reset firmware to default and then to the latest, 2.02. Still losing connection when I twist left or right. Really disappointed about this. My X55 lasted 8 years before issue at a third of the price

I having the same problem, only left.. kosmima 5 month old, actually also pushing the stick to max position for exampe left/forward

alex75

Postby alex75 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 16:59

fallout9 wrote:My good man, your issue is clear - a cable is disconnected. You'll get the part; please wait for the vendor to respond.

what could be and what to do.. please

Return to “Technical Support”