Gunfighter distinct axis "dimple" w/no cam pressure

Moderator: AdminGroup

flashben

Gunfighter base with bad ball bearings.

Postby flashben » Sun Mar 31, 2019 0:55

Hi I noticed 2 of the cam ball bearings on my VKB gunfighter are really bad(grinding and doesn't spin).
Is there a safe way to remove and replace these ball bearings without damaging anything?
Due to the bad bearing im getting awefull centering in the Y axis with both cam types unless i add 2 #40 springs(already posted this issue a few months back, and im not gonna add 10% deadzone as a solution)

Also, is it a flanged bearing?

fallout9

Re: Gunfighter base with bad ball bearings.

Postby fallout9 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26

Had some similar problems with one of the bearings grinding so I soaked it into very fine lubricant overnight and next day I 'revived' it by spinning it on and off, for a few minutes, with a drill machine (not on high speed, mind you). Worked fine for me.

flashben

Postby flashben » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:41

I removed 1 of the shields and C-clip and it's still soaked in clean looking grease.

flashben

Postby flashben » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:25

i also noticed that the big bearings on the y axis feel anything but smooth and have distinct notched resistive feel in midcenter

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:13

flashben wrote:Hi I noticed 2 of the cam ball bearings on my VKB gunfighter are really bad(grinding and doesn't spin).

I wouldn't think the bearings were bad on arrival, we don't use crappy parts, but anything can happen... let's look into it.
However, the ZEROEST question I have to ask is: have you opened a ticket at your dealer's?
Please do that. Don't deprive the dealer of his hard earned bread.
We will come to help when and if the dealer fails to solve the problem locally, and/or if he is out of replacement parts.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Barrence

Gunfighter distinct axis "dimple" w/no cam pressure

Postby Barrence » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:56

Last year when it first became available I got a gunfighter mk2 revB with the MCG Pro. After mounting and tuning it as best I could there was always a bit of a dip or clunk right in the center even with the smooth cams and light springs that I couldn't get rid of. I always disliked it, but because it was exactly in the center, I thought it was by design. Recently after trying and hating the constellation delta grip from virpil for a lefty stick, I decided to try and get a second gunfighter and left hand kosmosima (which is a fantastic grip btw and I actually think I like it better than the MCG). Some quick work ordering after a 2am notification email and I managed to get one.

Right out of the box with no tuning I noticed it was buttery smooth compared to my first one, and I wondered why the supposed exact same base gimbal felt so different. I took them both apart and found that indeed, with the springs removed, and no clutch pressure on either of them, the new one is perfectly smooth and the old one is pretty rough and has a very distinct center bump in the y axis. There's also a bit of one in the x axis, but much less pronounced. It seems to me like it must be either in the main bearings or the cross shaft.

I guess I'm wondering
1: Is this an actual defect, or is it by design? If by design, why does the new one (which feels much better) not have it?
2: Is this a known issue that possibly has an easy fix I could take care of myself? I'm quite handy with mechanical things.
3: I know I've had it for a while now, but the issue has always been there, and I would have raised it much sooner had I realized it was defective. Can I still get this fixed? I bought it through vkbcontrollers.com.
I can take a short video of it if need be, but I'm not sure if I'm able to post that on here. Pictures won't really show anything for such an issue obviously.

hon0

Re: Gunfighter distinct axis "dimple" w/no cam pressure

Postby hon0 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:37

I also have a slight bump on ONE of my axes, I swapped cam and the bump swapped axis so I guess the problem is from the CAM.. I can only feel that bump when I quickly pass over the center on that axis. So it isn't really an issue for me. But if that can help you and/or VKB to identify the problem, and solve it. :thumbUp:
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

flashben

Postby flashben » Mon Apr 01, 2019 15:27

Hi Aerogator,

Thanks for the fast reply, and I understand that the parts are of good quality, but this gunfighter had been used for more than 2 years with a heavy Warthog grip and the heaviest combination of springs supplied for proper centering action.
So some wear is expected.

And I haven't opened a ticket yet at my local dealer, because of longer wait times(mostly 2 weeks to a month in my experience) for a reply.
I just wanted to see if I can replace the bearings myself without forcing or damaging the balls or race surface, because I can't remove them by hand(I have some experience with delicate ball bearings in model nitro combustion engines)

Barrence

Postby Barrence » Mon Apr 01, 2019 21:17

It isn't the cam though. All my testing is being done with the springs removed. The cams are not contacting anything, and there is zero tension on the clutches as well. The only things left that could possibly provide resistance are the main bearings or the main shaft which connects the grip mount to the gimbal, so I think it's a different issue. Thank you for the reply though.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51

flashben wrote:I haven't opened a ticket yet at my local dealer, because of longer wait times(mostly 2 weeks to a month in my experience) for a reply

Please do.
We need the dealers to do their part of work.
We interfere when they fail, or lack knowledge, or have no parts for replacing the faulty ones.

In this particular case - still please open the ticket, and as soon as you do, tell me the number. I will push it through the pipe, and we will see how fast it works this time.
Hope, not as long as you thought :)
Best Regards,
AeroGator

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01

Barrence wrote:1: Is this an actual defect, or is it by design? If by design, why does the new one (which feels much better) not have it?
2: Is this a known issue that possibly has an easy fix I could take care of myself? I'm quite handy with mechanical things.
3: I know I've had it for a while now, but the issue has always been there, and I would have raised it much sooner had I realized it was defective. Can I still get this fixed? I bought it through vkbcontrollers.com.
I can take a short video of it if need be, but I'm not sure if I'm able to post that on here. Pictures won't really show anything for such an issue obviously.

1 - Unless the cam in question is a special hard-center one, it is a defect.
2 - Not really a known issue as in "a known issue", but it does happen here and there for different reasons from a grain of dust stuck to a bearing to a scratch on the cam due to our storage mishandling.
3 - VKB = Lifetime Warranty.

No matter what, first (zeroeth, in fact) thing to do would be opening a ticket at your dealer's.
We switch in when the dealer fails to help.
Our dealer in the EU may sometimes be blamed for sales problems but his tech support has always been good, so please go ahead with contacting him.
Don't hesitate to write here again if you don't have your case solved (or your message replied to) within reasonable time.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:02

hon0 wrote: VKB to identify the problem, and solve it. :thumbUp:

:)
Please read the comment I posted a few mins ago in this thread.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

flashben

Postby flashben » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:55

Hi Aerogator,

I've used an existing ticket(#601) still left open about centering issues.

I also noticed that there is strain on the grip-adapter cable at the molex connector, running through the gimball base when I deflect the stick in the Y-axis.
Should I be worried or is it a good idea to stabilize the cable with a little bit of hot glue?

Thank you in advance.

flashben

Postby flashben » Tue Apr 02, 2019 17:41

Hi, I'm having very similar issues on my Y-axis bearings, how does the action feel with no stick attached and no cam/springs? For me it stays stuck in the center until enough force pushes it.
It doesn't feel smooth like there are ball bearings.

Barrence

Postby Barrence » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45

Thanks for the reply AeroGator. I just wanted to get some clarification as to what I should do, so that was helpful. I've opened a ticket with the dealer #287. It's actually the North American vkbcontrollers.com. At first they just told me to make sure the cam was smooth. I made a little video for them, showing it in action with all cams, springs and clutches removed, and I think that finally provided the "eureka" moment haha. He said he would assign the ticket to an engineer to look at, so hopefully I'll get somewhere with them. I would post the video here for reference, but the forum doesn't seem to let me post video files.

That sounds very much like the issue I'm having. Push it from one side with continuous pressure and the rotation will stick in the center as if there is a small dip that a bearing ball is plopping into or something. It will want to stay in that spot until enough force is able to dislodge it. Mine has always been there, I just didn't realize it until I got another one that didn't have the issue.

Return to “Technical Support”