[Resolved] HELP!! Worked fine, now Modern Combat Grip PRO BlackBox Red STICK light flashes

Moderator: AdminGroup

WineCape

[Resolved] HELP!! Worked fine, now Modern Combat Grip PRO BlackBox Red STICK light flashes

Postby WineCape » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:06

See Attached Graphic File explaining some.

VKB Device Config v0.89.76
GunFighter Modern Combat Pro Firmware v1.960 (or as reported in the Config Firmware Flash as "_BlackBox_GF_MCG_PRO_v1_96_0")
Bootloader Version = ZBootloader-C-v1_15

Win7 64-bit Pro

Problem: Plugging BlackBox into = STICK Red light Flashes/ SYS Blue light Solid

This is after I have Flashed/Reset my GF MCG Pro as per this page instruction :
( https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=how-to- ... ar-15-2018)
The Device Config software (helpfully) now pops up an info box stating "NEED TO CALIBRATE CONTROLLER" -- which I tried. Unsuccessfully.

In trying to CALIBRATE my GF MCG Pro there is NO AXIS movement registered in the Device Config's "TEST/AXES1" page?

Clicking on "EXTERNAL DEVICES" tab show the graphic file that I attached (below) with the "#2 Gunfighter Base 2:17.8 " box flashing green and red, and I noticed that the "#1 MCG 2:17.9" box has a different version(?) as the Base's info?

QUESTION: Does red color of the graph (showing the "#1 MCG 2:17.9") indicate that there is no connection between the GRIP and the base unit?

Is this the problem in that the BASE and the GRIP/STICK should have the same version number (as being NOT the case as shown at the moment in my attached picture) before I can successfully calibrate the AXIS?

My GF MCPro work perfectly before, and when I plugged it in after 3 months of rest, the STICK RED light flashes on the BlackBox,

PS: Important note after my RESET Procedure, as explained by VKB ...
"-- From the Tools tab, click on the “Default” button in the top-left corner.
--The device will restart with factory default settings; any previously red blinking ‘Stick LED’ on the the BlackBox should turn solid green."

This has been NOT the case with my RESET procedure, as after I followed the RESET procedure the STICK LED keeps on flashing RED?

Any help will be much appreciated -- from an otherwise excellent product -- but after a 3 month flying hiatus, I am confronted with the above quite perplexing problem with the BLACKBOX's "STICK" RED LIGHT FLASHING, so I thought it good to try and Flash/Reset/Calibrate the Stick to the latest firmware. Obviously I am missing something in the procedure?

PPS: How can I test if the unit is also physically in good working order (via proper electrical currents received to the necessary circuitry boards)?
Maybe something came loose while lying in its packaging box for those 3 months?

Sincerely,
WineCape
Somerset West, South Africa
Attachments
Problem Calibrating.jpg
Last edited by WineCape on Thu Mar 21, 2019 13:21, edited 2 times in total.

Ron61

Re: HELP!! Worked fine, now Modern Combat Grip PRO BlackBox Red STICK light flashes

Postby Ron61 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 13:05

Try using the firmware version for a specific configurator, which is recommended in the header itself (in brackets), above — possible, below — no.
More extreme (both firmware and configurator) can be found here.

The red color of the graph indicates the lack of communication between the handle and the controller.
Therefore, all subsequent screenshots from JoyTester are not informative. This can be assumed with 100% confidence and without them.
I propose to remove the handle, gently wipe the connector pads with alcohol (or its equivalent, but not a solvent). Look for 3 pins and their free movement.
Connect the handle and reset the controller to the default using the button in the configurator. Until the level of errors is close to 0% on the graph, further adjustments lose meaning.

The numbers 2:17.9 and 2:17.8 are the handle and base bus addresses. After all, the controller must understand what and where to take. Therefore, they are different.

Believe in luck and she will turn to you correctly :).

rrohde

Re: HELP!! Worked fine, now Modern Combat Grip PRO BlackBox Red STICK light flashes

Postby rrohde » Thu Mar 21, 2019 17:30

In addition to what Ron61 suggests, the communication issue between the base and the grip could be due to two things:

1) A little gap between the base and the grip; I would remove the grip, and re-seat it, ensuring that there's no gap. So you will need to push the grip down with enough force to ensure good electrical contact between the base and grip, and then try again.
2) Do you have a Gunfighter Mk.I or Mk.II? If Mk.I, check the 3 little pins on top of the base connector; are any of them bent or pushed in? Let us know.

Thanks.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

WineCape

Postby WineCape » Thu Mar 21, 2019 17:34

The red color of the graph indicates the lack of communication between the handle and the controller.
Therefore, all subsequent screenshots from JoyTester are not informative. This can be assumed with 100% confidence and without them.
I propose to remove the handle, gently wipe the connector pads with alcohol (or its equivalent, but not a solvent). Look for 3 pins and their free movement.
Connect the handle and reset the controller to the default using the button in the configurator.
Until the level of errors is close to 0% on the graph, further adjustments lose meaning.

OK, Will do so and remove the handlegrip from the base and check it out. Will report back here ...

WineCape

Postby WineCape » Thu Mar 21, 2019 18:00

Connect the handle and reset the controller to the default using the button in the configurator.

and ..

A little gap between the base and the grip; I would remove the grip, and re-seat it, ensuring that there's no gap. So you will need to push the grip down with enough force to ensure good electrical contact between the base and grip, and then try again.

THAT DID IT !! :-)

Unscrewed the MCGPro grip/handle at the base, and used a ballpoint pen to wiggle the 3 pins at the base of the grip/handle, screwed back on tight, and did the Config default as suggested above.

Voila! On the BlackBox I have .....

(1) a "STICK" Green LED = solid light
(2) a "SYS" Blue LED = Solid light.

Many thanks rrhode and Ron61 :D
I have the MkII GunFighter and none of the 3 pins from the MCGPro Grip/handle (at the bottom) are bend from what I can observe.
Likely a loose pin connection onto the GunFighter Base, and likely not seating the MCGPro hnadle not firm enough onto the GunFighter MkII base could have been to the issue, which is now solved.

Sincerely,
WineCape

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Thu Mar 21, 2019 18:29

Good to hear you got it working again! Happy flying! :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Return to “Technical Support”