Y axis dampening

Moderator: AdminGroup

fallout9

Y axis dampening

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19

Got my Gunfighter MKII with MCG Pro a few days ago and love it love it love it, such a great engineering product. But there's something I quite don't like at this base - seems like the Y axis is a bit slow comparing to the X axis. In most of the tests I did (on #10 cams, as on #30 cams is fine) X is returning to the middle, but Y most of the times doesn't. I've tried so far with #10 cams/ #10 springs, #10 cams/ 2x # 20 springs, #10 cams/ #40 springs, in all cases dry clutch completely off. Generally it looks like the dry clutch is still holding the Y axis cam somehow, but I double and triple checked - the nut is completely unscrewed; it's head is sticking almost above the plate.

1 - Device model and version: Gunfighter MKII/ MCG Pro, purchased from AliExpress.

2 - Controller Firmware version: v1.963;

3 - Number and type of springs used: #10 on both axes, 2 x #20 on both axes, #40 on both axes;

4 - Type of cams used: #10;

5 - If VKB original software is used, please always Mention ITS version: VKB Device config v0.89.30 (NJoy Firmwarev1.95.2;

Here are the pictures:
1. global.JPG

2. profile.JPG

Looks like there's a picture limit, so I'll upload the other pictures in a second post.

fallout9

Re: Y axis dampening

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:28

Here are some tests I've made with VKB Joytester:

In this picture I pulled the grip all the way to the end and released it. You could see that X axis is definitely longer than Y. Also Y doesn't completely return at center; I did a recalibration just a few minutes before these pictures.
4. joy tester 2.JPG

In the next 2 pictures I'm guiding the Y axis (in the first picture) and X axis (second picture) lightly outside the center. Y axis is not coming back to center in the first picture. X axis, under same circustances, is getting back to the center.
5. joy tester 3.JPG

6. joy tester 4.JPG

I'd appreciate some feedback about this issue.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20

Try to adjust friction dampers.
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2858
Gunfighter Dry Clutch damper adjustment:
Note: The Gunfighter Mk.II allows access to the dry clutches from the top
1) Disconnect the grip
2) Unscrew the 5 screws on the dust cover. Remove the dust cover
3) Rotate the nut to adjust the damper force for each axis. Attention! Do not exceed the tightening force of the damper!
4) Install the grip, check the operation and 'feel' of the movement. If necessary, re-adjust the damper to your liking
Note: In reference to Step 4): You might want to put the grip back on, but leave the dust cover off, and adjust the dry clutch as desired; test it out, re-adjust as needed, and once happy, take the grip back off, put the dust cover back on, reattach the grip, and enjoy.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 13:51

It is necessary to raise the question - what do I expect from the cams, which are called "soft, without center"? And the answer will put everything in its place.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:12

fallout9 wrote:Generally it looks like the dry clutch is still holding the Y axis cam somehow, but I double and triple checked - the nut is completely unscrewed; it's head is sticking almost above the plate.

You have to likely loosen additional screws as well; give it a go:

Source- https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-quick-operations-guide
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:13

Victorus> I already adjusted the dampers to the point where the dampers' spring is fully extended and the square nut is all the way down. I visually checked that before putting the base back together. Is there any other kind of adjustment of the dampers? I could notice a second screw connecting one of the dampers; the other I can't see as it's behind a PCB I think.

Ron61> I understand how that principle works, but I would expect the axis to return to the center with a stronger spring, or at least both axis to act the same. The fact that the X axis is returning to the center and Y doesn't is making me think that something's not right. Also, please look again at that Joytester picture where I'm treating both axes the same by pushing the joystick all the way to the end and releasing it: the X axis curve is twice longer than Y under THE SAME circumstances. Also, it is very clean, it doesn't affect Y axis at all. In comparison, Y axis is very short and it's moving the X axis too - looks like something's stuck, something that's braking its movement and I was hoping you'd come with a solution to this.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:47

You can remove the spring completely or unscrew the axles with a bearing that runs through the cam, to make sure that nothing fell into the suspension bearings.
The damper must be loosened. In this case, remember the location of the washers on the axles.
1.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 19:05

rrohde and Ron61>> I'll follow the instructions as soon as I get home tonight and let you know about the results.

Return to “Technical Support”