VKB Gunfighter MK II B - Base dimension query

Moderator: AdminGroup

rtrski

VKB Gunfighter MK II B - Base dimension query

Postby rtrski » Sun Jan 13, 2019 19:43

Hello all. I hope this question isn't out of line, and I apologize for the scribbling in the first picture below.

I'm having custom mounts manufactured for my stick, and would like to know the position of the center of the "circle" that partially describes the Gunfighter Mk II base housing, relative to the 4 mounting hole position.

Please see image below. I know the dimension between the front and back bottom mounting holes, from your rectangular plate dimensions, is 69mm. I can measure the diameter of my existing base as ~ 91.5mm. But I don't know where the center point of the radius is easily in reference to the position of the mounting holes, front-to-back. My current estimate is 25mm from the front holes from a kind of spotty caliper measurement.

The reason I ask is I want the mounting plate I make to partially mimic the shape of the base, sort of like the second image below, and it will really annoy me if I have something made with say a 100mm diameter and my circle isn't concentric with yours, so the margin is uneven. If I'm going the distance to have a custom adapter made (mating to parts with 40-series "8020.net" extrusions) I'd like to get it right. The hatch in the image below represents the circle I'm wanting the center-point position of relative to the 4 holes. (The X-Y axis is kind of overlaying some of my construction lines, sorry for that; I'm using DraftSight by Dassault for the first time and haven't figured out how to hide that in the view...)

The reason my mounting point (bottom of the 2nd image) is asymmetric to the center of the gimbal base is for clearance to the seat when hinged 'down' out of the in-use position, if that was throwing you off.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

AeroGator

Re: VKB Gunfighter MK II B - Base dimension query

Postby AeroGator » Tue Jan 15, 2019 14:37

23 mm
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Tue Jan 15, 2019 15:03

I was close! Thank you very much. Promise to show pix of finished product. (Eventually.)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Jan 26, 2019 21:41

Just a cellphone potato pic for now, but promised image of installed result:

The VKB base is powder coated black, and the plate I had made is black anodized, so the whole edge of mine is the as-machined finish not just the chamfer I had added. But I'm still extraordinarily pleased.

The whole assembly pivots (the cam lever makes it tool-less) so I can sort of "stow" the joystick if not in use so it doesn't conflict with a keyboard tray. The current black box position is temporary; I want to get a longer cable for that, plus right now I'm still just running the USB forward to the computer as I haven't got my powered hub setup integrated under the chair yet.

Bottom image as well (sorry out of focus, and ugly bald head intruding). I put the large dia hole (chamfered both sides for safety) to let me unhook the cable from the plug and dismount the whole thing from the top as needed, instead of removing the housing from the adaptor plate. Plus in use the red LED on the board shines down in a darkened room.

blunt_waco

Postby blunt_waco » Tue May 25, 2021 15:51

I have posted similar question here. Do you have stl or dxf file for the mounting plate? I also want to mount the joystick on 4080 aluminum profile. What tool did you use to cut the plate?

Thank you.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sun Jun 13, 2021 15:06

blunt_waco wrote:I have posted similar question here. Do you have stl or dxf file for the mounting plate? I also want to mount the joystick on 4080 aluminum profile. What tool did you use to cut the plate?

Thank you.

Very sorry for the slow reply! I don't know for sure if I have a DXF, I'll look today. I had mine made for me by frontpanelexpress.com, so I know I have their file format. Note that my plate shape was kind of custom for MY purpose, to 80x40mm extrusion with 2 holes 40mm apart, the length between the mount holes and the gimbal base mount holes, and the slight 'offset' to move it outboard a bit. So that might not 100% work for you without editing.

Will reply again later if I find the DXF.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sun Jun 13, 2021 15:35

Found it. Hope layer names are self-explanatory, one of them is the circle describing the main portion of the base housing itself.

In the end I did not put that little flat chamfer on the 'front' edge of the circle vs. the earlier image in this thread.

This baseplate still works perfectly for the Gunfighter Mk III gimbal, too.

Originally drawn and saved in NanoCAD not AutoCAD, if that makes a difference (because 'free').

Link is to a OneDrive folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuHD2NL7qn3wgYAmsE3 ... w?e=BkWbPK

Return to “Technical Support”