VKB Gunfighter Mk II B and MCG-Pro Conflict with Razer Synapse

Moderator: AdminGroup

rtrski

VKB Gunfighter Mk II B and MCG-Pro Conflict with Razer Synapse

Postby rtrski » Sat Dec 15, 2018 21:50

Just FYI, in case anyone else has experienced similar and this post could be of aid. I do not need assistance. The [TL;DR] is: either deactivate Synapse or don't have Razer devices on same hub as your VKB gear, if you experience randomness.

I have the Gunfighter Mk II (B connector) with a Dec 2017 first US batch MCG-Pro (Cyrillic). I am still on VKBDevConfig 0.87.05, and firmware 1.94.9 -- not sure if those are the most current, but I seem to be ok and won't update typically unless I have problems or I read there are significant new features to take advantage of. The rest of my control scheme is an X-56 throttle (the older Saitek build), new Slaw Viper RX pedals, KB and mouse obviously (both Cougar, running their UIX software, 700M and 700K), and I also have an Orbweaver Chroma running the Razer Synapse SW v2. The Orbweaver and VKB joystick (through its black box of course) are plugged into the same powered hub, and the X56 throttle is plugged into its own independent USB hub as that device tends toward a lot of random button press issues if underpowered.

The Slaws are new, and I just finished phase 1 of my chair build and was redoing all my control schemes in Elite Dangerous, with the addition of the pedals for yaw now instead of previous use of the Gate Cntl hat. It's immaterial to this post, but to show off the chair because I gotta:
(Yes, I know my desk is a complete mess right now.)

Anyway, as I was testing bindings playing tutorials I kept having random events trigger that were not associated with controls on the throttle - but on the VKB stick. In game it was things like silent running, ship lights, etc. So I exited out of the game and went into the VKB Button Tester program. The throttle tested fine, no random presses as I actuated it and wiggled finger hats and such. Ditto the new Slaws (no buttons to press just axes). But the VKB stick was randomly throwing buttons 9, 18, and 23 usually as a group, all down then up but maybe not in the same order, as I actuated the stick axes. There was no clear correlation like it was always after max X deflection or a particular arc around the compass, seemed perhaps a bit more related to speed of traverse or associated with a direction reversal / center crossing, if anything. 9,18, and 23 just happen to be the "click down" of 3 different 4-way-plus-press hats: Reset (thumbrest), PC (stick heat bottom center), and Gun/PC (index finger on right side). I was initially worried I had an issue with a loose cable and/or needed to upgrade firmware, but then I decided to just close Razer Synapse and try again.

Buttons stayed totally silent with stick actuation. (Work when I press them intentionally though - obviously.)

So....in this case, I suspect simply software conflict. It may be ok to simply move the plug of the Orbweaver off to a different location than the same hub the VKB stick is on but leave Synapse runnning, but as I don't use the Orbweaver when flying anyway (that's more for shooter games when I stow the HOTAS) turning off Synapse is a small price to pay when I decide to fly.

Hope this post might help someone.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

AeroGator

Re: VKB Gunfighter Mk II B and MCG-Pro Conflict with Razer Synapse

Postby AeroGator » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:58

rtrski wrote:my desk is a complete mess

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!... :o :D
Best Regards,
AeroGator

galister

Postby galister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 20:46

Having a similar issue, but can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

I've a Gunfighter 2 base with an MCG non-pro, and MK 4 pedals plugged into the same black box. The Razer keyboard is plugged into an USB 3.0 port, and the Black Box is plugged into an USB 2 port. I have no Synapse (or any Razer software) installed. I've tried the other way around the keyboard being in USB 2 and Black Box in USB 3, no joy.

I get random presses of 2 buttons; the physical 21 button (labelled RESET) and the depress function of the pyramid hat (labelled Master Mode). These are same as OP's buttons, except that I do not have a 18 button.

The presses happen for no apparent reason, even when I'm not using the stick, but seem to happen more frequently when I'm actively moving the stick around. They show in VkbDevCfg's test page as well as in the Joystick Log. I stumbled across this thread yesterday and then it hit me that the problems started around the time when I got the new keyboard.

I can still think of a few things to try, for example mapping those physical buttons to different logical buttons, any if nothing helps, trying with the other Black Box that came with the pedals. If anyone has stumbled across this, any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: changing logical buttons did not help, the button presses show up on the physical layer when "poll" is checked.

galister

Postby galister » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:44

Removed all Razer hardware and software, and the joystick was still sending the ghost button presses. I've even uninstalled the Razer drivers via device manager before unplugging the keyboard.

Later during a sortie, I started experiencing an extreme amount off choppiness on some of the axes. They would freeze up every couple of seconds for 0.5-10 seconds, making flying impossible. I've tried changing the profile back, restarting, loading an earlier profile, no joy.

I've noticed that while they're plugged into the same black box, the pedal axes are not affected, only the axes on the gunfighter and the buttons and axes of the grip. This turned my suspicion to the gunfighter base. Took it apart, checked the connections and the cabling. Everything seemed in order, though I've tried pushing all the connections together just to be sure. After putting it back together, all is back to normal. No ghost button presses, no freezing inputs. I guess one of the connectors were loose.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:28

I really think that one cable that goes to the X axis sensor board, up sort of "Thru" the middle of the gimbal, gets brushed and bumped and gradually worked loose by joystick operation.

I'm seeing an occasional return of my problem even after unplugging the Razor entirely and turning off (but not uninstalling - just stopping from the system tray) the Razer synapse software. I'm starting to think I need to pop my base open and reseat the cable again. Seriously considering making a slightly longer harness for that leg, with really soft silicone-jacketed wire, if I can find the right little connector ends (JST - ??). Then again, longer might be worse as it can get on the wrong side of the working gimbal.

Anyway my custom joystick mount base is coming soon and I designed it with an open hole at the bottom of the base, I sort of feel like 'crowding' of the cable loop against the bottom plate is contributing to what I think is going on.

Sorry my fix wasn't really a fix. (Maybe partially - whatever intermittence is going on, the Razer polling on the same channel seemed to make it worse...)

:(
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:00

OK, post above (mine!) is just plain wrong. I opened my Gunfighter again and realized I was misremembering things. Here's what I believe is happening with either X-axis occasional glitches, or the hat switch "press" buttons going off while actuation, which usually happens when moving in X.

See pic below looking up at gimbal. Sorry for blur, potato phone camera pic.

The cable at the very bottom that's detached goes to the connector in the housing. The 3-wire in the middle that I keep mentioning in prior posts has nothing to do with the X axis sensor, it comes down from the stick and goes into the Y axis sensor board, which appears to be the "main" board.

The cable at the top extending to the right and then down goes from the X sensor to the Y sensor. THIS is the cable that can get kind of 'tugged' by the corner of the X axis circuit board indicated with the scribbled arrow. If you train it so it stays kind of "inboard" of the bottom of the dry clutch adjustment screw/spring, that should no longer be able to happen.

I readjusted as I was installing on my new custom adaptor plate, and so far, after a couple of hours of really hammering it around to test, no phantom presses. I haven't re-connected the Razor hardware to see if it still stays stable with it on as well...yet.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14

Errrrrr..... you do need a new phone! :lol:
Keep updating me about how it works, and whether ghost buttons come back.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

TeufelHunden

Postby TeufelHunden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 16:27

I'm also having ghosting buttons on my mcg non pro. when I hit red top left button sometimes it will activate the top button on my bottom hat... also my thumb trigger button has ghost presses a lot and I have that set to my cannon on il2 and its super annoying....

Return to “Technical Support”