Bearing misaligned

Moderator: AdminGroup

Mud

Bearing misaligned

Postby Mud » Tue Nov 06, 2018 23:15

Hello guys,

Little story short, i ordered and received my GF + MCG pro back in early 2018 with the very first batch from EU store.
When the package arrived, first thing i've done was to take appart the base and just swap the #20 spring for a #50 + #30 combo on each axis as recommended, and then reassamble the base.
Everything was perfect, i used the stick for 2-3 months and then paused flight simming until nowadays.

Yesterday i decided to get rid of the extension, because it is too long for my setup, i can't lower the base enough.
So i opened the base to replace the #80 springs with #30 springs and instantly noticed that the bearing on roll axis is not sitting entirely on the cam (see attached image), something i missed at first maybe due to excitement :oops: ....
It also started wearing out the cam on the side.

i've investigated a little bit, removed the cam etc ..., i'm 99% sure the problem comes from a missing washer behind the bearing, because the spacing on the cam seems perfect and the springs are perfectly aligned.
furthermore i noticed that the screw holding the cam is a little bit bent, but i don't think there are any side effects.

It seems to be easily fixable, i wanted to add more washers to center the bearing on the cam, but then again realized that the cam is a little rough(see attached image) so it wont be really smooth.

So, first i wanted to know if someone from VKB STAFF, could confirm that the bearing should sit perfectly on the cam? Then if i can add washers without voiding any warranty?
I screwed up not noticing at first so worst case i guess i can buy a new spare #10 Cam if it feels rough with the bearing on center?

Sorry for this wall, english is not my 1st language.

Thank you for your help
See ya
Attachments
vkb_gf.jpg

Ron61

Re: Bearing misaligned

Postby Ron61 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:31

Judging by the photo, there is no washer Grover. It must be so. Screw standard M4x20 under Torx.

8.png

Mud

Postby Mud » Thu Nov 08, 2018 15:58

Hello Ron,

thank you for the answer, i'll try to buy some 4mm grower asap.

For the worn out Cam i guess i have to directly contact vkb eu support?

I was also wondering if it's possible to buy the female and male parts of the extension, to build my 10cm own?

Thank you again for your help.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Nov 17, 2018 14:39

Mud wrote:For the worn out Cam i guess i have to directly contact vkb eu support?

I'd say yes; but I want that worn out cam for our VKB hall of fame! It'd be the first worn out can in history I guess...

Mud wrote:I was also wondering if it's possible to buy the female and male parts of the extension, to build my 10cm own?

In theory, maybe. Practically, unless you are really good at metal working, I mean like really good, it might be a pretty disappointing waste of time.
It looks easy but.... in a word, it's easier to say than to do. A lot.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Mud

Postby Mud » Sat Nov 24, 2018 16:20

Hello AeroGator,

Sorry i didn't notice your answer.

Could you be a bit more explicit about the extension please?

taking a look at my pro extension it seems that both connector are srewed to the tube, so i guessed if i could buy male/female connector get a 10cm tube with the right diameter and get them wired(again i dont know if it's connected with a premade cable with connectors or u need to solder some wire, but that's no big deal).

However considering what you've just writen above i guess there is a lot more going on.

Thank you for your help.

Mud

Postby Mud » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47

up?

Return to “Technical Support”