X Axis Spikes and sticks...

Moderator: AdminGroup

Snacko

X Axis Spikes and sticks...

Postby Snacko » Sat Aug 04, 2018 21:46

I have a GF MkII MCG Pro w/stick extension kit.

I finally got my stick extension kit and my center mount created and started using my stick two days ago. And I noticed the X Axis was spiking if I let the stick go and let it center itself. Or if I just bumped it while it was centered. It spikes all the way to 0 and stays there stuck. Or sometimes it goes to 65535 and sticks there. I have to Restart the stick to fix it!!

Hear are two videos of the issue...
https://youtu.be/XggADlG8so4
https://youtu.be/ZLIUhJZ6EqQ

So, yesterday I downloaded the new v1_94_B firmware and Flashed it. Reset everything to Default, and followed the instructions to Re-Calibrate. I tested and still had this problem. I reset to Default and Re-Calibrated about 5 times to no avail.

I read to also unplug and replug in the wires several times and that did not help.

And I read to try swapping the Device IDs on the Logical Axes tab. I did this and then the Y axis was having the issue. I swapped Device IDs back. So this shows that it seems to be a hardware issue?

And I have played with changing the center and top Deadzones, which seemed to help a little bit, but I'm not sure...

I put a Support Ticket in, but then I saw that others had posted with this same issue.

Any help is appreciated. :shock:

Drano

Re: X Axis Spikes and sticks...

Postby Drano » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11

Sounds to me like a mechanical issue. Like one of the ribbon connectors is coming loose. Try looking at the connectors between the gimbal and circuit board in the base. Even if nothing obvious is going on try unplugging and plugging them and see if that clears it. If not I'd be thinking maybe a broken wire in one of them. It's happened.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41

In the second video, you can see in the logs that the joey is reconnected. You should see the connection in the Test-External devices tab for errors. It is possible to reinstall the handle (extension cord) by first cleaning the contact pads with alcohol (or something non-aggressive).

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Sun Aug 05, 2018 21:09

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think it had anything to do with the extension kit since the X Axis sensors are in the base and send their data out to the pc. (not back up the extension kit)

I saw a post that at the end he had taken the base apart and cleaned it and put it back together to fix it. I took it apart, but there's nothing to clean. I unplugged the main connector and reconnected it. Wiggled the wires a bit, and put it all back together. It seemed to be working after that. I tested it for about 5 minutes and it worked perfectly.

Today, it's doing the same thing again. The main thing that I noticed is that it jumps and get's pegged when it crosses the center. Like there is a short or something at the center.

Drano

Postby Drano » Sun Aug 05, 2018 23:44

The biggest difference is that the sensors on this stick are not the pots we all grew up with! With pots you'd get glitchy stuff going on with them. With the digital contactless sensors there's none of that. Unlike with pots there are no "bad spots" in the sensor. It's all or nothing. You're describing an all or nothing response. I'm still guessing it's a connectivity issue in the wires. You said you tried wiggling them. As I said before--try unplugging and plugging them. Don't pull them by the wires! They're fragile like that! Get a little screwdriver or something similar in there and gently pry them off. On and off a couple of times. Absolutely recalibrate after doing this. Give that a shot. We'll get to the bottom of this.
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:59

I was able to take it completely apart today and found 2 wires that were not completely plugged into their connector housing. This was on the side, so I would not have see it by just taking the stick off the base plate and looking into the bottom. (see pics) They came completely loose with just a touch. I plugged them back in and they seem ok. I gave them a slight tug/pull and they were firm enough. After checking the other connectors and wires I put it all back together.

It seems to work fine. Rebooting and a bit of time and testing will tell. But I'm glad that I found something that was wrong. I just hope that actually fixes it. :roll:

Loose connector wires should not happen on a $450 device!! A simple tug on the wires in any quality control test would have found that!! I would have not thought to add "Tug on all wires" to a Quality Control test. But after this I would definitly add that simple test!!

1.jpg

0.jpg

Drano

Postby Drano » Mon Aug 06, 2018 21:22

That would do it! Glad you got it straightened out. Had a feeling it was something that rhymed with this. Good for another 100k miles!
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Sat Dec 25, 2021 16:47

Once again, after a month of non-use it's spiking and sticking on the X Axis!! I am so friggin' tired of having to tear this apart... This will probably be the 5th time for the same issue. There should be one Mega-thread for this issue alone!! ARG!!! :twisted: :roll: :roll:

And I cannot even search these forums for posts about this. As I said in another post, the Search won't let me search for ''axis mcg gunfighter' and it says these words are too common!! That is so stupid!!!!! What do I search for? Janky? Sketchy? Sticky? Fail? Bad? Jerky? Flakey? Sucks? ???...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 20:39

You have 3 options:
1. Fix that thing yourself with a little research. Here's a popular video on assembling and fixing that kind of connector; watch from the timestamp.
2. Fill up a service ticket and you'll receive new parts.
3. Continue you tantrum, find more stuff you don't like and bash it, don't hold back.
Merry Christmas!

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Sat Dec 25, 2021 21:09

Thanks Fallout. I did take it apart again today and I think it was that connector to the round plug that comes out of the base housing. I've fixed that several times. Last time I shoved a tiny piece of plastic with super glue on it into the back side of each wire to hold them in place. Two of them were loose. It's working again now. But Who knows if that was the problem...

It's really annoying that you cannot even search for 'gunfighter' or 'axis' on this forum. It's ridiculous!!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 21:34

I strongly suggest to contact your local vendor to get the new parts. Please attach pictures to your ticket and a link to this thread. You won't get charged for needed parts.

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Sat Dec 25, 2021 21:36

That is awesome!! I didn't know that. Thanks! :wink:

Return to “Technical Support”