[BlackBox] Problem while flashing the firmware - FIXED

Moderator: AdminGroup

33-DFTC

[BlackBox] Problem while flashing the firmware - FIXED

Postby 33-DFTC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:02

Hello guys !

I'm experiencing a "little" problem since I tried to flash the firmware of my BlackBox with a firmware made available today on VKB's FTP.

After launching Z-Bootloader I selected as usual the latest firmware to install. The process was almost finished when I got an error message "Download failed" ; I waited more or less 10 minutes but I supposed I was stuck at this step of the update. I decided to try a "Reset" first but I got a "Device not ready" message. I ended up by unpluging the BlackBox from the USB port of my computer.

Since then, my BlackBox has no light when I plug it to my machine. I get the usual windows sound indicating that a device has been pluged, the "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform" appears in the Devices Settings Windows screen too. When I execute VKBDevCfg I can see the "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform" and when I click on the "Bootloader" button I have a "External Device Firmware Loader" window displaying informations, and allowing me to indicate a path to a new firmware. I tried to designate the previous firmware but the soft does not find it despite being located in the folder pointed out.

Do you think I bricked my BlackBox ? If someone has any answer before I have to open a support ticket, please, feel free to message me or answer to this thread. Thank you ! If I find a solution I'll post it on this thread, it might help others users one day.
Last edited by 33-DFTC on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Re: [BlackBox] Problem while flashing the firmware

Postby Ron61 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:42

Not you first - it already was, moreover, not once.
Look here, this should help.
One note - you can use Zbootloader-С v.1.15 without resorting to earlier ones.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:48

33-DFTC wrote:I tried to flash the firmware of my BlackBox with a firmware made available today on VKB's FTP.
After launching Z-Bootloader I selected as usual the latest firmware to install. The process was almost finished when I got an error message "Download failed" ; I waited more or less 10 minutes but I supposed I was stuck at this step of the update. I decided to try a "Reset" first but I got a "Device not ready" message. I ended up by unpluging the BlackBox from the USB port of my computer.
Since then, my BlackBox has no light when I plug it to my machine. I get the usual windows sound indicating that a device has been pluged, the "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform" appears in the Devices Settings Windows screen too. When I execute VKBDevCfg I can see the "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform" and when I click on the "Bootloader" button I have a "External Device Firmware Loader" window displaying informations, and allowing me to indicate a path to a new firmware. I tried to designate the previous firmware but the soft does not find it despite being located in the folder pointed out.

First of all. I think your BlackBox is not damaged. It is difficult to destroy it using software).
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2762
Please tell versions of zbootloader, vkbdevcfg you have used.
If you see VKB Boot NJoy32 platform, close vkbdevcfg. Do not try to press Bootloader button. Launch zbootloader.exe directly, try to open firmware file and flash controller. I have experienced similar problems. Error downloading firmware. But this error disappeared after another attempting.
Remember. Zbootloader and vkbdevcfg must not be launched simultaneously. Bootloader button prepares controller for flashing, then vkbdevcfg MUST be closed. Try to use up-to-date zbootloader (1.15) and vkbdevcfg (0.87.92) from here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1WRiD1czmcHMVBEcVQ0dndyNG8.
Wish you success.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

33-DFTC

Postby 33-DFTC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 21:54

Thank you for your super fast replies guys !

I'll follow your instructions and posts and I'll come back to you as soon as I tried to recover the BlackBox.

33-DFTC

Postby 33-DFTC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 22:21

Ok, I'm already back.

First, here's the version software I used when I tried to flash the BlackBox :
- VKBDevCfg-C v0.83.85
- Z-Bootloader-C v0.97 (I'm guessing this old version might be the origin of the problem)

Since your messages, I downloaded the latest version of these two softwares. I did not execute VKBDevCfg (v0.87.90 -the v0.87.92 archive on the Drive folder contains the v0.87.90 *.exe) and went directly to Z-Bootloader-C (v1.15). When launching it I have a continuous "Error read data"/"Error write data", it goes on and on ... I'll post a screenshot of the actual Z-Bootloader window as an attachment. Since the Bootloader is always displaying error message, the device is stuck on the "not ready" status and I can't flash the BlackBox.
Attachments
Z-Bootloader v115.png

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13

I have told about same problem. After several attempts with the same conditions flashing was successful. Miracle and I can not explain why. I askrd Alex_Oz to look for the reason. Still awaiting results. Try to reconnect device. After it I had BB not in bootloader mode, but in working one. Launched VKBDevcfg and tried to press Bootloader button again.

33-DFTC

Postby 33-DFTC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:31

Hi Victorus)

I am not sure to understand your advice. Are you telling me to disconnect and reconnect the device to my computer in the hope that its state will change ?

I disconnected and reconnected the device at least a dozen times with no effect. When I launch the Z-Bootloader I keep getting the reading/writing error continuously that prevents me to apply a new firmware. I checked the VKBDevCfg too, when I click on the Bootloader I have the mention "Boot device : detexted - OK". I'll attach two more screenshots to let you see it. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Bootloader.png
VKB Device Config v08790.png

33-DFTC

Postby 33-DFTC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:48

Sooooo ...

I just successfully flashed the BlackBox with the previous firmware : _BlackBox_GF_MCG_Pro_v1_92_1.vkb

Here are the steps I took to resolve the issue of the writing/reading problem :
  • Start Menu -> Settings -> Devices
  • I selected "VKB Boot NJoy32 platform", then I deleted it
  • I disconnected the BlackBox from the computer
  • I launched Z-Bootloader
  • I connected the BlackBox
  • At this moment, the writing/reading problem had stopped, the device was ready and waiting
  • I selected the previous firmware mentionned at the top of this message and applied it - it just worked

I hope this message could help others if someday they find themselves in the same situation. Thank you guys for your support and for replying to my messages so fast, it's always conforting to know that someone is listening))

Victorus

Re: [BlackBox] Problem while flashing the firmware - FIXED

Postby Victorus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 14:39

Congratulations! Sometimes it`s impossible to give unambiguous advice about controllers((( Miracles)))

Drano

Re: [BlackBox] Problem while flashing the firmware - FIXED

Postby Drano » Wed Aug 01, 2018 19:45

Think of it this way. The black box is the brain of the system. Your base has controls in it. Your grip has controls also. All of these VKB sticks are designed to be modular so you can use many combinations of base and grip that run thru the black box on the way to your PC. Each different combination of grip and base has a specific firmware that MUST be used so that the black box can properly translate the controls in the base and grip to windows. You're flashing the black box. Make sure you are using the right one when flashing. That said make sure you are using the approved sequence when flashing to avoid further problems. Once flashed remember to calibrate and default the stick using VKBDevconfig before continuing.

The windows device manager needs to be removed entirely from your workflow. Don't use windows to manage these devices at all or you'll end up with problems.

FYI I have the gunfighter/MCG-Pro combination. I'm using the software and firmware in my sig. No issues at all. Button presses disappeared several versions ago. Of course ymmv.

I lied! Haven't updated my sig. I know I'm at least one version of everything newer. Bootloader is 1.15 for sure. And make sure you're using the newest versions. Don't try to mix and match. Links are in ron61's post further up the thread.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2