Which comes First ? Plug Stick In OR First Install Software ?

Moderator: AdminGroup

SnowTiger

Which comes First ? Plug Stick In OR First Install Software ?

Postby SnowTiger » Sat Jul 14, 2018 19:40

Hello everyone. This is my very first post in the VKB-SIM Forums.

I just obtained a Brand New VKB Gunfighter MK.II with the MCG (Modern Combat Grip) from a fellow Canadian who purchased it solely to conduct an Online Review. It was used for approximately 2 hours (in February or March I think ?).

Anyway, as I understand it, the Black Box was already flashed with the most recent software.

I have Not Yet Plugged my stick in Nor have I Installed ANY Software yet. But I have downloaded a suite of software and manuals etc for this product.

MY QUESTIONS ARE >>>
Should I Install the Software First and then Plug the Stick In ?
OR
Should I First Plug the Stick In and THEN Install the Software ?

And of the software, is there a specific order in which it should be installed ?

I will be using this stick specifically for DCS Modules and as such, will be using DCS to define Profiles for each Aircraft Module.
However, I don't know if I should still have VKB's Profile Software also installed anyway ?

That's it for now. I appreciate any help I can get with regards to these questions. PS> The sooner the better. I really want to get going with this beautiful work of art.
Thanks in Advance.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

Victorus

Re: Which comes First ? Plug Stick In OR First Install Software ?

Postby Victorus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 20:08

SnowTiger wrote:MY QUESTIONS ARE >>>
Should I Install the Software First and then Plug the Stick In ?
I will be using this stick specifically for DCS Modules and as such, will be using DCS to define Profiles for each Aircraft Module.
However, I don't know if I should still have VKB's Profile Software also installed anyway ?
Thanks in Advance.

You do not need to install any software to use joystick. VKB devices are driverfree.
If you want to use all features of joystick controller, you can download and run configuration tool VKBdevcfg.exe. If default set of buttons/axes functions is enough for your tasks you do not need to do so. But I recommend)))
Simply read this user guide to explore controller functions http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/controller_2_10_En.pdf.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:53

Perfect. Thank You.
That is exactly what I needed to know.
There is no downside to having the software so I will install it for sure and I already have that manual (thank you for the link).
Another user I spoke with today suggested I install the software first and then plug the stick in and go from there, but it sounds like it doesn't really make any difference. But that is the procedure I will use to be on the safe side and Windows won't have to scratch it's proverbial head trying to figure out what it is etc !!!

Thanks again and have a great day.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

dburne

Postby dburne » Tue Jul 17, 2018 14:44

You will definitely want the software for calibrating the Gunfighter and MCG grip.

Drano

Postby Drano » Tue Jul 17, 2018 14:55

Do not calibrate these sticks with windows! ALWAYS use the VKB software, either VKBDevconfig or Wizzo.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:58

Thank you for all the replies.
I certainly would never use Windows to calibrate ... anything. lol

I have run "VKBDevCfg-C.exe", "VKB_JoyTester.exe" and today I ran "wizzo_gf.exe" for the first time, that latter of which appears to be a bit easier to understand but I haven't really explored any of them beyond running them.

But it appears that these are programs that must be run each time I fly because they don't seem to create a Program Group or Icons like an "Installed Program" would.

Do I run them only to calibrate and/or to set up profiles etc (when not solely using DCS's Profiler) ?
When using the stick, should I run and Minimize the software OR can it be closed when done calibrating or using a Custom Profile ?

Is VKBDeveCfg better than Wizzo_gf or are they basically the same thing but have different ways to doing things ?

And finally, I know I will need some help to get started with the software (I do have someone to help with that end of things) so I can make the best use of the Stick's functional capabilities. But I probably won't get started until next week.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

Drano

Postby Drano » Tue Jul 17, 2018 19:11

In a nutshell, no you don't need to have the software running in the background while using the stick. The difference between Wizzo and devconfig is that Wizzo allows you to calibrate and set deadbands, etc., -- basic stuff. Devconfig will do the same but goes into far more detail. Devconfig is for configuring the axii and buttons. The settings go on seemingly forever! You create profiles in devconfig that the program will save to your stick. Once that's done the stick's processor and memory do the rest.
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:50

Thanks alot Drano
Yes it just dawned on me that this system is much different than what I'm already used to.
I realize now that the Black Box is instrumental in saving profiles etc. I'm new to the Black Box feature so it didn't dawn on me how it worked or all of its purpose.

Furthermore, it appears to me from the information you provided that Devconfig will be most useful to me. I'll just have to spend the time to figure it out but I understand I should Save the current config before I go messing with anything.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I appreciate it.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

Drano

Postby Drano » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24

If you haven't downloaded it already there's a guide to devconfig on this page :

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/

Down towards the bottom of the list, 2_10 eng.
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 16:38

Yup. Got it.
Just hadn't read it yet.
Thanks again.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

Return to “Technical Support”