Can the Devs create some basic beginner Tutorial video?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Snacko

Can the Devs create some basic beginner Tutorial video?

Postby Snacko » Mon Apr 23, 2018 20:34

I just got my Gunfigher MkII MCG a few days ago and am struggling trying to understand the VKB Device Config software.

I simply want to send a keystroke. I read in the pdf manual the sections on buttons and macros but I am missing something..

On the Logical layer, I setup button 5 to send the keyboard key Z. I Saved it as a profile. And I 'Set' it to the stick. I then went to the 'Test' tab to test it, but it didn't send the Z key. And the 'Test' tab locks up and I cannot Clear, or uncheck the Keyboard or Joystick checkboxes. I have to close the program and re-open it.. Then, I also tested in Notepad and press button 5 it does not send any keystroke.

I tried to setup a Macro. I see in the manual that there is supposed to be a 'Macro' tab between the Profile and Test tabs. I don't have any Macro tab.

Is it possible for your or someone who knows this software to make a simple beginner video tutorial? There has to be 1000+ options in this app :shock: :shock: , and that's not an exaggeration. And most of it doesn't seem like it is necessary to read and understand in all 104 pages to do a few basic things.

I hope you don't think I am asking too much. I searched the web and youtube but only found one video, in German using this software for some pedals.

Generally, just an overview of the software. Physical Layer; Logical Layer; Set, Get, Load, Save, Testing, and explain some of these settings most of us will never use..
Specifically, some beginner stuff. How to:
  • Send a keystroke.
  • Make a macro.
  • Send keys on the press, and the release.

I think almost everyone would like to know how to map their Teamspeak keystroke. That is basic.

Thanks, I hope this can be done.
In the mean time I can continue digging for answers. I noticed that you had just transelated the manual into English last Jan 2018. That is great. I hope more can be done. :mrgreen:

Snacko

Victorus

Re: Can the Devs create some basic beginner Tutorial video?

Postby Victorus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 22:00

Please make and show screenshots of Global- Common tab, Logical and Physical layer tabs and Macro tab. We shall learn to setup controller using your example.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

WineCape

Postby WineCape » Tue Apr 24, 2018 18:53

Pretty much what I need too. A very basic tutorial to bind the most basic of keys, buttons and whatnot.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 21:56

Snacko wrote:
I tried to setup a Macro. I see in the manual that there is supposed to be a 'Macro' tab between the Profile and Test tabs. I don't have any Macro tab.
How to:
  • Send a keystroke.
  • Make a macro.
  • Send keys on the press, and the release.
Snacko

How to Send a keystroke.
First of all open Global - Common tab. Check Map. It allows button mapping. To logical buttons, keystrokes etc. Select Classic Mode of virtual Keyboard (allows simultaneous pressed keystrokes) and set Dly = 20.
Global_Common.png

!!!!! Before all !!!! I want to give you fish but I`ll be glad to give fishing rod))). So please read this doc https://yadi.sk/i/aPchqkBc3Ujd4e.
Now buttons can send keystrokes.
Open Profile - Buttons - Physical layer tab. Check Poll. Now you will see number of line corresponding to pressed button. Press desired button. I`ve pressed red one. Line 15 is highlighted.
polled_red_but.png

We`ll setup this button. For example.
Press this cell with left mouse button and see Button mapping wizard dialog.
BMW.png

Select Keyboard item.
Select keystroke and check modifiers if needed.
key_shift+z.png

Now press Set button to save your settings.
Open Test tab and press button. I hope you will see keystrokes.
key_test.png

Some software restrictions((( You must restart vkbdevcfg.exe to exit test mode.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 22:16

"I tried to setup a Macro. I see in the manual that there is supposed to be a 'Macro' tab between the Profile and Test tabs. I don't have any Macro tab."
You must edit zconfig.ini file saved in the same folder with configuration tool. User section

[User]
===========================
User=Developer
You can use my .ini file.
zconfig.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

And read about this file in Appendix I. Zconfig.ini file description section of UserGuide.
Something about macro from forum.
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2730&p=27298&hilit=macro#p27298
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2081
http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2244&p=22098&hilit=macro#p22098
Once again - Chapter 8.Macro setup and 5.6. Macro section of UserGuide.

Try!
PS
About different (if I`ve understood right) луны on press and release. Read about Toggle switch function
(4.3.7. Toggle switch section).
PPS
I think this will be enough for the first lesson)))
PPPS
Do not be lazy! SAVE you working configuration to a file (Save button) every time it works good!

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15

Thank you for your reply. I was able to make a keystroke from a button press. Thank you so much!! This is very basic stuff, and there should be a Dev Tutorial Video for these basic things.

Next, I will try a Macro. Please Pray for me! :roll:

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Wed Apr 25, 2018 18:28

Victorus wrote:Please make and show screenshots of Global- Common tab, Logical and Physical layer tabs and Macro tab. We shall learn to setup controller using your example.

Ok, after reading the section on sending keystrokes and how to do macros, here are the screenshots you have asked for. I do have the macro almost working, but the 'Shift' does not work as I expected, and I have other questions as you will see. :)

Is it possible for you to make some Profile & Macro Examples for the Gunfighter MkII MCG that I can open in the VKB Device Config program and look at? That would be a great help!

Here are my Profiles & Macros for the Gunfighter MkII MCG.
VKB NJoy32 PRO - GF MkII MCG Profiles.rar
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Thanks for your help!
Snacko

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 21:53

Snacko wrote:Ok, after reading the section on sending keystrokes and how to do macros, here are the screenshots you have asked for. I do have the macro almost working, but the 'Shift' does not work as I expected, and I have other questions as you will see. :)

Is it possible for you to make some Profile & Macro Examples for the Gunfighter MkII MCG that I can open in the VKB Device Config program and look at? That would be a great help!

About Shift. I do not see any button that is configured as Shift. In my example pinky button is configured as Shift1.
pinky_but_shift.png

Button 14 (upper right) without shift will have default #14, if pinky button pressed - #17.
shifted.png

Shifted keystrokes.
shifted&mapped2KStrok.png

About Repeat and Release values. Some theory)). Repeat means whole macro unit period. Repeat has fixed duration. 15, 25…1000 ms. Release means pulse time. Yes, there are only 8 timesets available.
macro_timings.png

Repeat must be not less then Dly. If it is too short, you will see
CorlWd
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CorlWd
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DCS World!
15, your value.
DCS World!
DCS World!
100 ms.
macro.png

timing100.png
timing100.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 10036 times

Autofill. If checked. You click point, set it as keystroke (Keyboard), press Nexr button (right arrow icon). It automatically becomes Keyboard.
If unchecked. You click point, set it as keystroke (Keyboard), press Nexr buttonю It stays No function (default).

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 22:10

You see two devices if zconfig.ini contains DeviceListShort=0. When you enable virtual keyboard, it appears in device list. If you will use virtual mouse, it will be the third device.

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Thu Apr 26, 2018 18:27

Thank you for all of your answers and your time. This has been very helpful. :)

I thought that in the Macro if I send Keyboard key D and check the Shift checkbox, it would send a Capital D? This works on a simple keystroke(non-macro). But in the macro it does the strange things I show in my (above) post.

This macro is correct?
Does not the Shift checkbox work on a Macro?
Is it just the Timing that causes it to go wrong?
Or is it because a Shift key does not exist? And I have to create one using another button as Shift?

Sorry, I have been busy and have not had time to read about the Shift1 and Shift2. Hopefully I will find some time soon.

Shift D.png

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Apr 26, 2018 20:16

Snacko, if I'm reading this right it looks like you're really close but have something out of sequence. Give this a try :

It looks like you've figured out how to select a button and assign a keystroke to it. So far, so good. You need to press "set" NOW. This sends the new info to the stick. Once that's done, to test it, go to the info tab and click on the field where the stick info is. The cursor will show. Press your button. It should type "Z" (or whatever you'd set it to). If it does, NOW is the time to save your profile. I think where you jumped the tracks was saving before you set so in effect you saved nothing so nothing was typed.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Thu Apr 26, 2018 21:12

Drano wrote:Snacko, if I'm reading this right it looks like you're really close but have something out of sequence. Give this a try :

It looks like you've figured out how to select a button and assign a keystroke to it. So far, so good. You need to press "set" NOW.

If you are asking if I pressed the Set button that is on the Macro tab, I did that. And I also pressed the Set button on the And if you look at my previous post above, you can see in the last image that it was running my macro. It cannot run my macro if I did not press Set on the Macro tab, correct? But it was not using typing a capital DCS, or ! (shift+1).

If I press it 3 times it sends this:
orld
orld
orld

So, I think it has my macro in the stick. Something is wrong with my macro, no?

It should type this:
DCS World!
DCS World!
DCS World!

Drano wrote:Once that's done, to test it, go to the info tab and click on the field where the stick info is. The cursor will show. Press your button. It should type "Z" (or whatever you'd set it to).

That is a nice trick to use the Info tab for testing! Thanks for that tip! :D

Drano wrote:If it does, NOW is the time to save your profile. I think where you jumped the tracks was saving before you set so in effect you saved nothing so nothing was typed.

Is this correct?:
The Get, Set, Load, and Save buttons at the top on the Action tab are only for the Profile? (are these buttons also for the Global tab parameters, and are saved in a profile?)
And, The Get, Set, Load, and Save buttons on the Macro tab are only for the Macro tab.

You said my mistake was saving before I set it? The manual says:
Manual pg: 83 (5.6.2)
You MUST set macro parameters and SAVE it on Macro tab BEFORE Macro function assigning to a button.

So are they saying the same thing as you? First Set, then Save? (just so I know...)
I must have set my profile to the stick since as you can see in my post above that it does run the macro. It just doesn't type the capital letters, or the exclamation sign..

PS:
Why do I get a "Write Flash Error" sometimes? If I just Set the profile one more time it works without this error.

Snacko

Postby Snacko » Thu Apr 26, 2018 21:46

I'm getting closer. I set the Timing to Repeat: 100, and Release: MAX and I am getting this:

DDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSS WWWWWWWWorld!!!!!!!!

Still trying to understand this Timing.. :mrgreen: But this is progress.

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Apr 26, 2018 22:33

Ok I stumbled thru this problem where my intended macro was cut off like that. Turned out I'd misunderstood how they were constructed, separated and numbered. Let's say you want a macro to type DCS WORLD! Just like that. Just once with no repeats. On the macro tab start at row 1, column 1. Row 1is four characters so it'd be DCS and a space. Check the box to the right of row 1. That continues it to row 2. Now row 2 will be WORL. Again check the box to continue to row 3. In row 3 put D! Leave the last two spaces in row 3 blank. Do NOT check the box. This is separates this macro from the next one. You just made macro 1. Click set on the macro tab. This sends the macro info to the stick. Assign a button as macro 1. Click set on the action tab. It should work.

Here's the trick tho. The next macro you make will be macro 4. Why not 2? It's the next one? Because it starts on row 4. Whatever row the macro starts in is it's number.

I made the same mistake learning it.
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Apr 26, 2018 22:40

Oh and while you CAN use macros for a single keystroke you don't have to. I was walking you thru the single keystroke method. And yeah the macro info is separate from the profile info. Saving on the macro tab saves any macro info to the stick. It makes use of that info in the profile which is looking for how you're using the buttons.
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2