Toe brakes question

Moderator: AdminGroup

gordon220

Toe brakes question

Postby gordon220 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 23:46

Please excuse if this has been asked and answered. I've been reading through this forum and both DCS and IL2 forums for an answer without success.
I'm currently waiting on delivery of my Gladiator II (non-pro) and Mk IV rudder pedals.
One question I have that I haven't found an answer for is regarding toe brakes. I 'fly' only WWII flight sims and the aircraft require both rudder control and toe brakes for taxiing.
The way I understand the virtual toe brake utility is that you have axis for right and left brakes simultaneous with the rudder. I don't understand how you'd be able to take off using right rudder to overcome engine torque if you were applying hard braking on the right wheel.
One way around that would be to use the twist stick to control yaw and the pedals for toe brakes but then they wouldn't function if you needed to apply both brakes.
Thanks

Sokol1

Re: Toe brakes question

Postby Sokol1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50

WW2 aircraft use 2 types of brakes:

"Toe brakes" - one brake in each pedal of rudder control, each acting only right or left wheel, typical in German, American and Russian i-16 aircraft's.

"Differential brakes" - one lever or thumb button (Fiat G.50, Mc 202) in control column that brake both wheels simultaneous.
For brake only right or left wheel the pilot move the rudder for this side and a distribution vale linked with rudder pedal bar send the brake pressure for desired side, and brake only the respective wheel. Thus system is typical of British, Italian an Russian (but i-16) aircraft's.

Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kubam has "differential brakes" modeled for any plane of the game, independent if is an Bf 109, P-40 that IRL use "toe brakes".
Intended or accidental this feature is helpful for players that use only 'twist rudder" sticks (e.g. your Gladiator Mk.II 'non PRO') and don't have pedals, so they are able to brake only one wheel in any plane, by press a button in stick for "Wheel brakes" and "twist" the rudder for the side that want brake the wheel.

Of course a player with "toe brakes" in their rudder pedal (e.g. a MFG Crosswind) can use this in Bf 109, P-40... like IRL, but not in Russian (but i-16) and Italian planes.

DCS (or Il-2:46, CloD) don't has this help, so brakes became a problem in different planes. VKB T-Link allow in "democratic" way brake in any plane (like Il-2:BoS allow).

What T-Link software (or DevCfg) allow you emulate is "differential brakes" (PR call this wrong "toe brakes") for T-Rudder.

Brake both wheels through a joystick button or a axis if grip has (e.g. MCG), and use the rudder movement to send the brake pressure for right or left wheel, or instead emulating a toe brakes" you are emulating a "differential brakes" for example, for DCS P-51, Bf 109... (Spitfire don't need this emulation, as already use "differential brakes").

You don't have proportional control of brake force unless use a axis for "Wheel Brakes" (both) command, if use a joystick button the brakes is ON/OFF, but with a slow application.

Is important understand that the rudder bar movement are not braking the wheels, just determining what wheel will be braked, like in IRL SPitfire, Or Yak-1, or Mig-15, 21, La-39, and several 50/60 British fighters.

I use T-Rudder (Mk.II) in DCS and this emulated "differential brakes" work OK for P-51, Bf 109, Fw 190.
Il-2 BoS as I explain above don't need this - but you can use if want.

In (game) practice the brake result like individual brakes in the pedal bar, minus the proportional effect.

You help yourself if stop think in "toe brakes" - an exclusive system.

And think in "differential brakes" - an universal system (for virtual planes only, of course). :mrgreen:

Return to “Technical Support”