Loose Button on MCG Pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

Worthing

Loose Button on MCG Pro

Postby Worthing » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:44

The button on the bottom right of the face feels very wobbly when pressed. It has a lot of give in every direction, to the point that it almost feels like a very poor quality 8-way HAT. This problem could be manageable, except that when pressed and pushed to the left or right, the button will get stuck down. This behavior occurs even if I remove the button cap.

The other buttons on the face (particularly the top left, which I believe is the same type) feel much more solid, and do not wobble around like this one does.

I've attached pictures of the button in question in it's stuck position both with and without the button cap.

20180219_1537252.jpg
20180219_1536402.jpg

AeroGator

Re: Loose Button on MCG Pro

Postby AeroGator » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02

Please open a ticket at the shop where you bought the device.
We will talk to the shop.
If you bought the device directly from us (VKB Headquarter) - write to us (email) quoting the order number.
This will help.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Tue Feb 20, 2018 16:07

Well I wrote to Rainer Rohde already (I purchased it directly from VKB), and he said to post in here.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15

Worthing wrote:he said to post in here.

AeroGator wrote:If you bought the device directly from us - write to us (email) quoting the order number.

Order number still missing.
However, please write to warranty@vkb-sim.pro with a brief description of the problem (no pictures needed), PLUS the order number.
It is necessary to describe your problem there because we only collect warranty statistics from the email, not from forums.
To save the trouble you can simply copy+paste your text from here into the email.

We will deal with it.
Please be advised though that if there is a need of a replacement, we will only be able to ship anything out after the end of the holiday season (25th), and even then the mail operators will be tremendously overloaded, so there might be delays. Not our fault, but still sorry for that.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40

I'll write them concerning the warranty.

I'm also curious about the possibility of replacing the button myself. I do have some soldering experience, so I believe I'd be able to remove and replace the button.

I have opened up the stick before, but I wasn't sure the proper method for getting to the particular button since it is pretty deep within the stick.

This could also open up the opportunity to customize the stick with different buttons. I would imagine that the manufacturer (I believe it is either omron or Alps?) Has different versions of the buttons with different actuation forces, similar to keyboard switches.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:49

Worthing wrote: I believe I'd be able to remove and replace the button.

Most likely you will not have to. Normally we replace the PCB the button is a part of.
Before you do it, you should (anyway they will ask you to, so why not do it now if you have time) open the grip casing - this does not cancel the warranty - remove the PCB from the grip, and toy with the button for some time.
If it is OK and it doesn't get stuck, then everything is going to be even easier; we will need to slightly modify the plastic button head so it doesn't cause sticking.
Whatever turns out, do take the PCB out and toy with the button.
It would help if prior to removing the PCB you take a picture of how it sits in the grip, and how the cables are connected to it.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:36

So I finally had time to take apart.

I can say pretty confidently that the issue is not in the button itself. The switch is solid and clicks well just like the other ones.

The issue then, is likely in the spacers. I've attached a picture of two of the spacers. The black one is the one with the issue. The grey one works perfectly.
20180225_002044.jpg

The black spacer seems to have a bit too much clearance within the case. It can be moved about half a millimeter back and forth. The grey one sits much more solidly within the case. I believe that if the large cylindrical part of the spacer was longer (like the grey one), it would sit more securely.

So at this point, I'm not convinced that doing a warranty is the right way to go. I suppose it's possible that the black spacer in my stick is out of spec, but I don't believe so. I measured the dimensions of the black spacer and grey spacer, and apart from the obvious intentional differences, they are exactly the same (specifically, the diameters of the cylinders are the same).

I assume you have access to an MCG, AeroGator. Can you confirm whether you experience this issue? Specifically, the bottom right button has a lot of wiggle to it when pressed down (especially compared to the other buttons). At this point I'm wondering if my MCG is "working as intended". I don't want to go through the hassle (and delays) of a warranty replacement if this is just how all MCG's function. If that's the case, I'd prefer to just keep mine and 3d print a custom spacer.

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48

And in case my description wasn't very clear, this is what I imagine to be happening. The shorter cylinder of the black spacer allows it have more clearance/movement,
Attachments
spacers.png

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:11

UPDATE

So I went ahead and printed an updated spacer. In my opinion it works much better than the original. It doesn't wobble nearly as much and doesn't get stuck. It could use some fine tune adjusting, but it's definitely an improvement over the original.

I've attached a pic containing the two. By extending the cylinder and the guiding slates, it has much less clearance within the casing.

To be fair, it's very possible the spacer in my mcg is just defective, but at least for me, it was far far easier and faster to make my own replacement then to go through the hassle of a warranty replacement.

I am still curious to hear aerogator's thoughts on this, or for that matter, any other mcg owners that are experiencing the same issue.
Attachments
20180225_155436.jpg

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15

My buttons definitely have some wiggle, hats too. The weapon release button is definitely more solid. If you're open to sharing it would be great to see your updated spacer on Shapeways or perhaps as an STL file! It looks like good work.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:07

Worthing wrote:I am still curious to hear aerogator's thoughts on this

Aerogator was getting the most he could from the remaining few days of vacations :)
Great job, all I can say.
Great that it worked for you.
As Aaron said, why don't you publish the printing files here? we could even steal the technology :)
I am taking your information to our tech people so they know what to pay attention to in the future batches.
Thanks!
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Worthing

Postby Worthing » Thu Mar 01, 2018 0:35

Here's a link to the model
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2810164

And here's a reddit post where I give more details on this fix (and others).
https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... e_buttons/
If you have any questions, it's better to try to reach me there since I probably won't be checking the forum as much for pm's/replies

Return to “Technical Support”