New stick, wiring fault

Moderator: AdminGroup

Hoff87

New stick, wiring fault

Postby Hoff87 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 21:32

Just got my new mcg pro stick and GF base, ordered directly from the china distributor. All was good until i did the firmware update and got to the calibrating point.
My X axis first acted randomly and did not seem to work correctly. Unplugged the stick and had a look at the gimbal and x axis cable, One wire had come out of one end of a connector.
I did however manage to "plug" it back in carefully and it seems to be stuck in there now. Only time will tell how long it will be until it comes loose again.
One thing i did note upon going through the x axis motion and watching the stretching of the cable was. At the very extreme x movement the connector moves because of a slightly short cable and i think it might cause more problems down the road.

Now where and how can i get an replacement cable so i won't be without a stick if it goes out again.

Thank you.

AeroGator

Re: New stick, wiring fault

Postby AeroGator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:20

Hoff87 wrote:One thing i did note upon going through the x axis motion and watching the stretching of the cable was. At the very extreme x movement the connector moves because of a slightly short cable and i think it might cause more problems down the road.

As we checked it on our test joystick, the cable even in extreme grip positions still has about 1 cm slack. You say it is getting as stretched as to move the connector.
Would be interesting to see a picture of the cable (and the connector) when the grip is in such extreme position.
Please upload a picture right here, no google drive or any file depository - right here.
Can be more than one picture, feel free to use the disk space as long as it helps making the point clear.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Hoff87

Postby Hoff87 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 19:22

First of all. let me say that the stick itself and the gimbal is very nice and complements my vkb Mkiv pedals very well. So far so good.
Now. Stretched cable was a poor choice of words from my side, sorry for that. What i ment is movement in the connector, that is back and forth movement with the cable moving. I know this is part of the design and should not be a problem.
The problem for me was a loose cable that had came out of the connector, while doing my firmware update and calibration right out of the box, first thing i did to the stick.
As i said i managed to put the cable back into the connector because the stripped end was intact on the wire. It works just fine now.

Conclusion: Wire should not come loose by itself, Movement in connector won't help if the other wires suffer the same bad connection. I might use electric safe glue to prevent it or possibly solder.

Hope that explains it.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16

Hoff87 wrote:Hope that explains it.

OK, then pls do not use any glue or soldering; let it be as it is. These connectors are made to last, and so they do if properly fixed. Yours might have been a bit loose at assembly, then further shaken out of place during shipment. And keep me posted if anything.
_IF_ however you feel that moving the grip moves the connectors, please show me a picture. It is NOT normal.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Hoff87

Postby Hoff87 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21

Ok. I will use it as is. That seens like a possibility yes.
The movement is hard to show with pics. A closeup vid will do it.

Thank you.

Return to “Technical Support”