Wire has cut inside the Gunfighter base

Moderator: AdminGroup

Ace

Wire has cut inside the Gunfighter base

Postby Ace » Fri Feb 09, 2018 19:24

Hello.

Today, I was flying with Gunfighter as usual and all of a sudden my plane started tilting one side.

I started joytester immediately and I found that my roll axis not responding.

so I unscrewed the base plate and opened the base and one of the wire has disconnected by a repeated roll (I guess..)

c1.jpg
I thought at first, It was my fault but soon I realized that It wasn't my fault as the wire has cut so clearly.

To make the matter worse, As I tried to pull the other side of the male connector, the female connector has come off!

c3.jpg
As far as I know, female connector has to be fixed. But it came off so easily.

I don't know what to do. Do I have to solder that line? or Should I buy a connector? Where should I buy those connectors from?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

(Since I ordered Gunfighter during the pre-order period, I couldn't open my ticket here on this website. So I e-mailed to UIV today. But I'd love to hear your opinions!!)

Hoff87

Re: Wire has cut inside the Gunfighter base

Postby Hoff87 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09

Hi. The same connector as on mine! but mine had been pulled out of the connector. Hoping to get a new cable from them. Good luck.

Monroe07

Postby Monroe07 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38

If you're ok with DIY, you could get a connector online at digikey.com. As long as the board solder points/pad/plated solder holes are good, you can fix it yourself with a little solder work. They (VKB) seem to use a lot of standard connectors like the SWR201-NRTN-S04-RL-WH with 2mm pitched pins. From your pictures, it looks like a 4 pin connector like the SWR201-NRTN-S04-SA-WH but It's hard to tell how many pins it has from your pictures. If its a 4 pin version, go to Digikey and search for SWR201-NRTN-S04-SA-WH. If it's not a 4 pin, look at the same style of the connector with the correct number of pins. Before you buy a new connector though, verify the dimensions of the current connector with the datasheet of the connector on digikey. If the cable they wired it with was too short (and got cut because of it) and you find the right connector, you can make an extension using the connector, the pins, and some wire.

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 18:02

Hoff87 wrote:The same connector as on mine!

Are both of yours the new REV B Gunfighter? Sounds like an oversight to me...

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 18:18

Show the photo of the controller board more clearly, the connector itself. As I understand, the pins remained on the board, and the plastic outer shell itself remained on the "mother"? If this is so, then you need to disconnect this pair and put it neatly on the pins. On your photos you can not see clearly.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Feb 10, 2018 19:48

Monroe07 wrote:If you're ok with DIY, you could get a connector online at digikey.com. As long as the board solder points/pad/plated solder holes are good, you can fix it yourself with a little solder work. They (VKB) seem to use a lot of standard connectors like the SWR201-NRTN-S04-RL-WH with 2mm pitched pins. From your pictures, it looks like a 4 pin connector like the SWR201-NRTN-S04-SA-WH but It's hard to tell how many pins it has from your pictures. If its a 4 pin version, go to Digikey and search for SWR201-NRTN-S04-SA-WH. If it's not a 4 pin, look at the same style of the connector with the correct number of pins. Before you buy a new connector though, verify the dimensions of the current connector with the datasheet of the connector on digikey. If the cable they wired it with was too short (and got cut because of it) and you find the right connector, you can make an extension using the connector, the pins, and some wire.

Thank you for your comment I do appreciate! I temporally fixed it with some strong glue that I bought today morning but I'm not really sure how long it will go.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat Feb 10, 2018 19:53

Ron61 wrote:Show the photo of the controller board more clearly, the connector itself. As I understand, the pins remained on the board, and the plastic outer shell itself remained on the "mother"? If this is so, then you need to disconnect this pair and put it neatly on the pins. On your photos you can not see clearly.

That's correct. 4 pins were on the board and the plastic cover came off with the male connector and wires. I put them back and glued both plastic shell and a disconnected wire and seems to work without any problem.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Feb 11, 2018 19:02

Another update.
disconnected.jpg

It seems like a whole connector is a defect.

Another wire (the black line) has fallen off from the same connector.

That happened in the tournament fight today 10 minutes ago, during an excessive roll maneuver.

Gimbal of the gunfighter is really sturdy and well-made thumbs up for that!

But the Wires, Connectors are very weak and definitely doesn't last long ( I bought this a month ago but the actual time of usage is less than 30 hours)

It seems like the wire gets damaged from the repeated impact generated by hitting the ends of the roll structure.

Honestly, I think it will happen again after changing wires.

Maybe I need to pull all of the wires and solder&glue each of them.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Feb 11, 2018 19:49

And the Yellow one has just disconnected...

:(..............

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 19:50

Well, after the connector was removed for the first time (together with the response part), you can expect this from other conductors. It is necessary to lay the train so that it does not fall into the zone of work of mechanics. This can be done by twisting a little in the desired direction (not connected, clockwise or counter-clockwise).
It is worth writing to warranty@vkb-sim.pro to resolve the issue.

Hoff87

Postby Hoff87 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 19:58

Ace, is your GF the new version? This seems to be a weakness.
I wonder if you can solder the wires inside the connector, As for me the cables are just pushed inside and held in place with friction, which eventualy will come loose with movement.
Last edited by Hoff87 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:06

After peeling all Red,Black,Yellow lines a bit and connected them back and glued them, I have Red light from the base and my roll axis spikes like crazy.

disconnected3.jpg

disconnected2.jpg

Seems like I touched some self-destruct button. Gotta pack up and get out of here.
Last edited by Ace on Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:36, edited 4 times in total.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:07

Gunfighter Rev.B Pro with MCG Pro. I bought it a month ago.

Hoff87

Postby Hoff87 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 20:12

Ok, Same as me. Then a batch issue..

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26

Okay, It turns out the red light is totally normal.

Spike issue on the roll axis still remains.

Seems like there are no other ways but for waiting for respond of VKB HQ.

The reason I didn't open a ticket is that I bought directly from the VKB HQ, not from North America website.

I posted my problems here because I think It's not just my issue and hoping VKB to fix this issue on their next batches of the gunfighter.

I'm trying to make a contact with VKB HQ now.

Return to “Technical Support”