Setting up MCG Pro folding trigger

Moderator: AdminGroup

SCG_Yeti

Setting up MCG Pro folding trigger

Postby SCG_Yeti » Tue Jan 16, 2018 23:26

I really love my new MCG Pro, but I'm not all that happy about how the folding trigger works out of the box. The way mine works is that I get an momentary button press when pressing the trigger from armed to 1. stage, and a holding button press when trigger is flipped up.

What I want have is one momentary button press when folded up in safe position, and another momentary button press when folded down in armed position. Then I want one holding button press for first stage trigger, and another one for the second stage/full press, and no button press when i release it back to armed position.

In this way I can use the folding up and down as safety/master arm, and a two-stage trigger when pulling it. Is this possible to set up? I tried to mess around in VKBDevCfg, but I get all kinds of strange unreliable results, and I'm not able to get it to work in a consistent way.

I see that other users have the same kind of problems with the MCG trigger, but I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere. Can someome please post a guide how to do this right?
Last edited by SCG_Yeti on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50, edited 1 time in total.

SCG_Yeti

Re: Setting up MCG Pro folding trigger

Postby SCG_Yeti » Wed Jan 17, 2018 23:12

I see my question went unanswered. Maybe I posted in the wrong topic. What I'm looking for is not support specific to my own system, but more of a general guide how to set up the folding trigger properly.

Since I already posted here, I'll supply the requested information for technical support in this post.

1 - Device model and version
Gunfighter MK II Pro, MCG Pro

2 - Controller Firmware version
_BlackBox_GF_MCG_PRO_v1_91_1

3 - Number and type of springs used
One pair of #50

4 - Тype of cams used
Original 10

5 - If VKB original software is used, please always mention its version
VKBDevCfg-C_v0_83_9_6
VKB_JoyTester
wizzo_gf_0_98
ZBootloader-C

6 - Vkbjoytester screenshots.
VKB_JoyTester.jpg

7 - Vkbdevcfg-c screenshots.
VKBDevCfg-C.jpg
Last edited by SCG_Yeti on Thu Jan 18, 2018 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

SCG_Yeti

Postby SCG_Yeti » Thu Jan 18, 2018 18:54

Keep talking to myself here...

Anyway, I got the pro trigger working as a two stage trigger. That wasn't too hard. In the mcg pro trigger window in Vkbdevcfg i check enable for the trigger and for "fire", and set the fire slider to the far right. In that way button 3 gets pressed when pullig trigger 1. detent, and button 27 at full press.

There's no slider for "safe", so whenever i enable it button 24 gets continuously pressed when trigger flipped up. I guess you could make it work if you have an option for "safe when pressed, or else armed", like the kind you have in the 3-pos-switches for the dcs m-2000 module. Problem is that not many modules, or other games for that sake, has that option. So if anyone have another idea, please tell.

I'm not able to set up the "armed" function for the trigger in any sensible way. It gets pressed just before or after the button 3 press, depending on where i set the slider. I can't get it to register a button press when moving the trigger down to armed position. It looks like the minimum position for the slider should be set farther up the trigger travel. The way it is now it's just too close to button 3.

I've tried to mess around with the numbers in the bottom of the trigger window, but I can't make heads or tails of it...

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

st923

Postby st923 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:00

SCG_Yeti wrote:I'm not able to set up the "armed" function for the trigger in any sensible way. It gets pressed just before or after the button 3 press, depending on where i set the slider. I can't get it to register a button press when moving the trigger down to armed position. It looks like the minimum position for the slider should be set farther up the trigger travel. The way it is now it's just too close to button 3.

Exactly same problem here.
Best result I got was moving "Armed" slide the the leftmost position, but even in this case it requires a very slight press for the "Armed" button to activate. I expected the "Armed" button to be pressed when I just release the trigger from the "Safe" position.
Tried to recalibrate everything - didn't work

bb2

Postby bb2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 21:35

Yes it is the same for me.

I even asked for clarification from VKB if this was the expected behaviour... no response.

SCG_Yeti

Postby SCG_Yeti » Sat Jan 20, 2018 15:45

I picked this up from a post in the ED forums by rrohde, presumably first posted in the Russian IL2 forums:

If it is required that the button is pressed in the free center position - it is necessary to perform a different calibration procedure in another way (bring it to the center from the Safe position slightly without leading it) and set the sensitivity slider Armed to the leftmost position.

This provided a partial solution to the issue. What I did was first place the mcg pro trigger in safe position, then run Wizzo. After initialization I moved the trigger carefully from safe to armed, and then ran a normal calibration. This seemed to have moved the center position of the trigger axis farther "up" the axis. Still, it's a strange way to calibrate the mcg trigger. Maybe the software could be a bit more intuitive.

Doing this and placing the armed slider to the far left gives a button press in center. There's a couple of problems though. First it renders the mcg pro fire button useless, as it is pressed right before or at the same position as the button 3 press. Then there's also no button press at the end of the trigger pull, rendering it useless as a two-stage trigger.

Secondly, the armed button press is unstable. In mid position it's mostly held, but when you move the stick around it goes on and off by itself. For a module with two different functions/buttons for master arm on or off, like the DCS Viggen, it works fine. But for modules or games with a single toggle button for master arm, it's again useless. You'll never know which position it's going to be in if you've placed in armed.

Another thing is that all the buttons are continously held while trigger is in that position, instead of momentary presses. But I guess this could be set up in the software if you knew how to.

What I can't understand is why they made the mcg pro trigger with an axis with virtual buttons, inststead of just ordinary button presses in the different positions. It eludes me what the advantages could be by doing it like this.

The way it stands now I fail to see any real reason to buy the pro version of the grip. I wish VKB could pitch in here. They keep answering in other forums, so they might want to answer in their own as well...

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Jan 20, 2018 17:16

Don't forget the pro version of the grip also has the 4-way-plus-press in the thumb position, not just a button.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

SCG_Yeti

Postby SCG_Yeti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:05

Yeah, and the 4-way+push on the right side, instead of 2-way. Those two are nice to have. I would have bought the pro version anyway. I'm sure we'll get that trigger sorted out when the dust settles.

drakhorn

Postby drakhorn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46

I have the same "problem" as OP.

I played around with the configurator and tried assigning the physical button that's assigned to "SAFE" as a toggle switch but it doesn't work as the the pro trigger functionality somehow overrides any changes to the buttons you make.

I also found odd that on the NJOY32 user guide page 37 it states:
"Assign Safe button line number using But N counter. Line numbers of other but-
tons will follow. Check Pulse to generate short pulse when button is virtually
pressed and even stays in this position (Safe or Armed). Pulse duration is equal to
T_Tgl parameter value (see 2.3.1 on p. 16)."

There is no "Pulse" option. This would resolve this problem. I guess it's a feature coming or something.

Until that, the only way I can think around this is to create a script with Autohotkey that works like a toggle switch when the "SAFE" button is pressed and released.
Last edited by drakhorn on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:53, edited 1 time in total.

drakhorn

Postby drakhorn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:47

Ok update to my earlier post.

The configurator doesn't let you change the behavior of the physical button but you can alter the behavior of the logical button. So you can change the function from button to HAT, keyboard etc but not a toggle switch.

Also I found out that windows is not picking up the joystick keys of MCG so you can't string Autohotkey scripts straight to joystick buttons but you can change the logical button to act as a keyboard button and go with a script something like this:

Code: Select all

$C::
Send z
KeyWait, C
Send z
return

In this example I've binded the SAFE state to keyboard key "C". After that I can bind any function I want to toggle in the game into "Z".

All this is unnecessary workaround to a silly problem that should be/will be fixed in a patch hopefully.

Return to “Technical Support”