GF mk1 firmware update issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

PabstBleuRibbon

GF mk1 firmware update issues

Postby PabstBleuRibbon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 21:29

Hi VKB,
Following the instructions for the most recent firmware update for GFmk1, for MCG/Kg12 compatibility. I installed the MCG-P grip (was a WH before, which worked fine), then started the process:

- latest VKBDevCFG
- latest firmware in the directory (BB_GF_MCGP_v1_91_E)
- ZBootloader-C in the directory
- Swapped WH grip for MCG-P

On startup, Blackbox is flashing red, I figured because of the new Grip without matching firmware/profile. I do the following:

- Launch VKBDevCFG
- Select "VKBSim Black Box GF v1.852"
- Click "Bootloader"

VKBDevCFG shuts down and starts ZBootloader. However, the Blackbox immediately turns off with no lights on at all. Zbootloader shows:

zbootloader.jpg

Nothing happens after that. If I disconnect/reconnect the Blackbox it boots back up, in the same state as beginning of the process.

I have also tried restarting the process with just running Zbootloader. Here is what that looks like:

zbootloader2.jpg

However, the Blackbox is still on with lights if I just run Zbootloader, it does not turn off immediately like with VKBDevCFG.

Any help appreciated!

Ron61

Re: GF mk1 firmware update issues

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 21:43

There were cases when third-party software (mouse, keyboard or other devices) did not allow entering the firmware mode. It helps either temporary disconnection from USB or launch of the configurator (and bootloader) on another machine, laptop.

PabstBleuRibbon

Postby PabstBleuRibbon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 21:58

Ok, I disconnected all other USB devices besides:

- mouse, kb (no 3rd party software installed for these)
- VKB Blackbox.

Rebooted, and Blackbox did not boot up at all, no lights. VKBDevCFG only started in bootloader mode, no devices detected. I then unplugged/plugged in the Blackbox, same result as before with flashing red. As soon as I clicked bootloader it shut off. Tried Zbootloader on its own after restarting Blackbox again, but same result as before.

I dont have a windows laptop, only option would be parallels running on OSX, would that work or be a bad idea?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 22:11

It is necessary to leave only the keyboard and mouse (naturally and BlackBox). Restart the system. If you start the program USBDeview, you can see many connected Usb devices.
Screenshots from the configurator are welcome.

PabstBleuRibbon

Postby PabstBleuRibbon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 22:49

Ron, thanks for the help! I had to connect the Blackbox directly to the mobo USB3 port, it was going through a PCI usb3 card before. That seemed to do the trick. Firmware updated and all lights are green now, calibration went fine and all buttons/axis are working. Thanks!

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 22:51

Great, good luck.

Return to “Technical Support”