Having MCG Pro Issues, random intermittent button presses

Moderator: AdminGroup

AeroGator

Re: Having MCG Pro Issues, random intermittent button presses

Postby AeroGator » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:47

Before digging for anything else, let us do the connection check.
Please remove all the mechanics from the casing, dis- and reconnect the cables - especially the one that goes to/from the grip.
Might be some oxidation on one of the pins. A few cycles of disconnection and reconnection usually cure the problem right.
Make sure you do it with extra attention care. After all, those are pretty delicate parts.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Justinc

Postby Justinc » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10

I am having the same issue.

I have mcg pro and extension.. I have done the spring washer repair successfully on the handle... I get the button 9 and 23 mainly plus a few others... I can reseat the extension and make it a little better for about 5 minutes but it returns.

I feel it is possibly related to the extension connection to the base as I can replicate the symptoms by moviing the stick just by holding the base of the extension/

I have tried my stick connected either aligned straight ahead or with twist.. same problem

also for this pull apart and reseating to remove oxidation... is it just the handle or the base as well...

Can you let the bosses know that I am getting a little sick of pulling apart a 500 dollar joystick and fixing it myself.

when it works it is awesome.. but this is slightly irksome

Cheers

jacyo

Postby jacyo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 19:13

I have tried the new firmware and VKB Device Config, I am not sure if it is placebo effect, the frequency of button #9, #18 and #23 activate intermittently has reduced but sadly still happens.

On releasing the button #4 (the red button) which triggers button #14 to sometimes activate still happens in a more or less similar frequency as the previous firmware. Another note about this issue is that I have tried to just connect the grip to the base without the stick extension and this problem still happens.

I have also removed and reconnect the join between the base and the stick extension, and also the stick extension and the grip a few times but seems like there isn't any noticeable difference (except my hex key wear off after that :o ) and the problems still exist.

Another note about these issue is that, although I still can't observe any relationship between the communication error level graph and the problems of button activate intermittently , I do see some values on the graph when I move the stick around quickly (not always as many as the attachment below though). It is 0% when the stick is idle and sometimes the buttons still activate intermittently even the error level is 0%. So I cannot really tell if there is any correlation between that graph and the button triggering issue.

Edit:
I have also tried to just hold the stick extension and move the stick around without holding the grip like Justinc did, and button #9, #18 and #23 will also activate intermittently.
I have also tried to just connect the grip onto the base and move it around. I cannot make those button active by themselves but I haven't tried for long time, moving #50 spring without stick extension is quiet an exhausting task :P
Attachments
error_level.jpg

GridiroN

Postby GridiroN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22

Hey,

I have a similar issue that I've been dealing with for sometime. Physical button #9 (thumb trigger), and logical button #23 randomly get activated during use of the stick.

The activation seems either especially bad, or primarily triggered by RIGHT ROLL input. As I have it bound in one sim to my plane cannons, the activation can last a single moment (firing one or two bullets) or can empty my entire magazine...

I have tried
- deleting logical button #23 in case it was a conflict
- Defaulting my stick back to factory
- Flashing the newest firmware
- Cleaning the base and stick contact mounts with alcohol to make sure no pollutants were ruining the connection
- Taking the base and stick apart and checking the cable connections. I noticed the cable that connects the pitch axis board and stick buttons to the base USB output was exceptionally loose, so I took some re-usable sticky tac adhesive and made sure it was solid. This helped the situation (it happens less often) but it did not solve it.

If it helps any, my VKB config button test screen looks like this.... with like 100 random buttons registering as "green" for some reason. This happened last time before I factory reset so I don't know what causes this...After I factory reset, I go back to the appropriate number of buttons with no green, but eventually it becomes like this again.

https://imgur.com/vEhA5Bw
Attachments
vkb device config.jpg

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49

GridiroN wrote:I have a similar issue
The activation seems either especially bad, or primarily triggered by RIGHT ROLL input. As I have it bound in one sim to my plane cannons, the activation can last a single moment (firing one or two bullets) or can empty my entire magazine...
I have tried (...).
(.....)

Justinc wrote:I am having the same issue

jacyo wrote:I have tried the new firmware and VKB Device Config

Sorry it happened to you guys.
FIRST thing to do is ALWAYS open a ticket at your dealer's. It helps us keep the statistics, besides in many situations you can get help faster.
Apart from this it will always help if you make a short vid of the vkb config utility screen so we could see what exactly happens and get a clearer picture of the problem.
Please use youtube rather than vimeo: both are banned in China but for some reason it is easier to access YT through vpn than vimeo.
We're on holidays now but will still try to help you.
Please keep checking this thread, I will reply here when I see the videos.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

GridiroN

Postby GridiroN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:29

Sorry, but what is it you're asking for a video of? The VKB Config showing the button presses? That will be difficult as I can use the device for hours and have nothing go wrong, which is what makes the issue frustrating and puzzling at the same time...

I will try to make some kind of video if I can reproduce the activation on film.

And either way, nothing is happening that isn't easily describable. It's just a green activation light showing button 9/23 has been activated when I haven't physically touched it. The easiest solution so far has been not to bind any function to that key in games.

Thanks for helping out over your vacation though

GridiroN

Postby GridiroN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53

I was able to reproduce the bug after about 20min of trying.

Flying a plane with a forward cannon, and the button bound to cannons, you can hear my cannons fire around 3:50min timestamp. I did not physically press any buttons. You can see on the VKBconfig buttons 9, and logical buttons 18 and 23 flash and the log shows them as having been pressed.

No buttons were pressed. I was simply holding the stick and flying wildly to cause rolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTiTO66yaQ&feature=youtu.be

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39

Update the firmware and configurator, where to take it is written in the previous my post on the page back.
After the update, reset the default with a red button in the configurator.
Calibrate all axes, including the flip flop.
You take screenshots of the tabs Global-Common, Profile-Axis, Buttons, Axes2Buttons.

StandingCow

Postby StandingCow » Mon Jul 30, 2018 15:12

I had the same issue until I got the beta firmware, that fixed it... probably will for you too.

Justinc

Postby Justinc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 16:50

I have a gunfighter rev B , mcg pro + extension. Could someone point me to the links and names of the correct version of VKB config, zbootloader and the beta firmware so I can try the latest firmware please.

There are some many versions of boot loader and configurations and batches of sticks I want toe be certain that I using the relevant version for my setup.

Many thanks

Justinc

Postby Justinc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04

Further to the crazy button pressings of mostly 9,18, 23 or hats depressed switching/

I have just aligned my extension centred again .. ie no twist to the left... but moved the twist to the left on the mcg grip only... now only button 9 is getting activated randomly.

I hope this is a firmware fix only …

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:41

Justinc wrote:Further to the crazy button pressings

Have you opened a ticket at the dealer's?
>>>
Apart from this it will always help if you make a short vid of the vkb config utility screen so we could see what exactly happens and get a clearer picture of the problem.
Please use youtube rather than vimeo: both are banned in China but for some reason it is easier to access YT through vpn than vimeo.
We're on holidays now but will still try to help you.
Please keep checking this thread, I will reply here when I see the videos.
<<<
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Justinc

Postby Justinc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56

I got it from VKB direct.

My video will just show the same as above... button presses of 9,18,23 mostly... seems to be related to angle on the extension when twisted left.

However now that I have removed the left twist to the extension base, it hardly does any random button pressing, just and infrequent button 9 only I have seen today.

I will make a video anyway when I get some time.

Can you point me to the versions of software / firmware I should have for the mcg pro rev b and extension also please.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39

jacyo

Postby jacyo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 18:10

Here's my video of the problem using the firmware provided by UIV, hope that can shed some light on the issue

https://youtu.be/NdzpEmRXzmw

In the video, the upper communication error level graph is the base and the lower communication error level graph is the MCG pro.

And the information of setup:
Base: VKB-Sim Gunfighter 3-pin Rev.A
Grip: MCG Pro + stick extension
#50 spring
VKB Device Config v0.87.84
Firmware: v1.94B

I have also attached the sceenshots of my Global-Common, Profile-Axis, Profile-Buttons and Axes2Buttons that I am using when doing the video capture requested by Ron61
Attachments
Profile-Axis.png
Global-Common.png
Axes2Buttons.png

Return to “Technical Support”