MCG PRO with GF Mk.1 Profile

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49

1 - GF Mk.1
2 - 1.917
3 - N/A
4 - N/A
5 - VKBDevCfg-C_v0_83_8_5
Screenshots omitted

We were given the firmware, but where are the profiles?

We need some concise instructions for those of us who purchased the standalone grip for our original Gunfighter. I'm not afraid to do some setting up, but I am not going to be able to figure out how to set up each axis and button in VKBDevCfg, it's simply too complicated and time-consuming for me right now. I had to go dig through reddit threads to find the NJoy32 manual, not that I want to read 112 pages just to set up my new grip in the default configuration! I think I've looked in all the official places, and found no evidence of a profile for those of us with Mk.1 bases.

I found the new 1.917 firmware, flashed it as directed, but had no usable buttons or axes. I didn't want to spend hours figuring out how to set up each button, so I called up a friend who bought a GF Mk.2, and walk him through saving a profile that I could use. That's crazy, too much scrambling around just to get the basic configuration of a $160 product. I expect to do some tinkering to get it to work, but not like that.

EDIT: Note that I also tried to follow these directions to reset the device to factory default, as recommended, but they don't work on the latest version of VKBDevCfg; there is no "Default" button. http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2654

Here's the temporary, unofficial, probably not quite correct profile, such as it is, for anyone who finds this topic with the same problem:
GF_MCG_PRO_M1_unofficial.zip
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

PhoenixCNE

Re: MCG PRO with GF Mk.1 Profile

Postby PhoenixCNE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18

It is a bit different but the DEFAULT button is in the tools tab now. I had much trouble too so I totally feel your pain and also couldn't find where the info was. Will walk you through whatever I can. After I defaulted my black box, flashed with new firmware, and the removed my kg12 grip from the external devices tab and replaced it with my mcg it was fully detected. After those steps I needed no profile, I calibrated and all axis/buttons were detected.

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 21:20

Still not there.

PhoenixCNE

Postby PhoenixCNE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 21:41

aaron886 wrote:Still not there.

Did you type DEFAULT in all capital letters and then hit the o so intuitive blank button after the text box? That makes button appear. **maybe just hitting enter works I didn't find the button in tool tab until I clicked that I thought, thinking back it did in fact say done after I hit enter with DEFAULT typed in that text box.

aaron886

Postby aaron886 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 22:01

You got it! I must have screwed that up somehow last night. It was late.

Thank you. So, to clarify for anyone who reads this, there is no MCG PRO profile. After flashing the new firmware, you have to use this hidden default button to set the grip to the default axis/button arrangement. A little confusing, and not clearly explained in any official post.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44

There are 2 software utility applications now for customizing and configuring the GF.
1 - there is a VKBDevCFG-C giving you total control over the device. Control is really full and unlimited, but few people really need it.
2 - and a WIZZO_GF (mind the GF!) - which can be seen as a kind of VKBDevCFG-C Lite. it has pretty much all you would ever need, and we recommend using it rather than the VKBDevCFG-C.

Here is what WIZZO_GF can do for you:
    testing axes/buttons
    adjusting dead zones
    calibration
    saving/loading profiles
    return to factory settings
    bootloader mode (starting the device in bootloader mode for FW update)
Best Regards,
AeroGator

azmodiuz

Postby azmodiuz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:01

AeroGator wrote:There are 2 software utility applications now for customizing and configuring the GF.
1 - there is a VKBDevCFG-C giving you total control over the device. Control is really full and unlimited, but few people really need it.
2 - and a WIZZO_GF (mind the GF!) - which can be seen as a kind of VKBDevCFG-C Lite. it has pretty much all you would ever need, and we recommend using it rather than the VKBDevCFG-C.

Here is what WIZZO_GF can do for you:
    testing axes/buttons
    adjusting dead zones
    calibration
    saving/loading profiles
    return to factory settings
    bootloader mode (starting the device in bootloader mode for FW update)

the wizzo though is for the MK II versions they say, so I can not use it with my base, and I'm confused as hell with how to setup this joystick.
this is a nightmare

GridiroN

Postby GridiroN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56

I have the exact same issue (default profile for my non-pro MCG that came with the software didn't include any axises...) and I'm now stuck as how to fix this. Both wizzo and vkbconfig are extremely user-unfriendly applications. VKB really needs to hire someone to write modern software for them as they're very strictly hardware guys and don't seem to have much skill in dealing with lamens...

But in any case, I tried your profile, and unfortunately, it only fixes the 90 and 270 degree positions on the top hat. The other positions, plus analogy brake lever, plus the second ministick still don't work, so it looks like im going to have to try to reverse engineer however you did this to figure out how to add back the other 7 axises.

Edit: Nevermind, this default trick worked for me after I re-read this thread. Seems to be working fine now!

azmodiuz

Postby azmodiuz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43

GridiroN wrote:I have the exact same issue (default profile for my non-pro MCG that came with the software didn't include any axises...) and I'm now stuck as how to fix this. Both wizzo and vkbconfig are extremely user-unfriendly applications. VKB really needs to hire someone to write modern software for them as they're very strictly hardware guys and don't seem to have much skill in dealing with lamens...

But in any case, I tried your profile, and unfortunately, it only fixes the 90 and 270 degree positions on the top hat. The other positions, plus analogy brake lever, plus the second ministick still don't work, so it looks like im going to have to try to reverse engineer however you did this to figure out how to add back the other 7 axises.

Edit: Nevermind, this default trick worked for me after I re-read this thread. Seems to be working fine now!

There was a post how to set up the brake, it worked for me.

My only remaining issue is the curves are not easy to setup if they are working at all... and I have to use these massive 25% deadzones because my stick doesn't center very well at all.

Soon as my stick responds to X and Y axis too, because of the deadzones I have, there is just so little room left for the stick in some directions it is just a bad experience.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06

azmodiuz wrote:My only remaining issue is the curves are not easy to setup if they are working at all... and I have to use these massive 25% deadzones because my stick doesn't center very well at all. Soon as my stick responds to X and Y axis too, because of the deadzones I have, there is just so little room left for the stick in some directions it is just a bad experience.

Deadzones, centering, etc. - keep trying with clutches and springs. These joysticks center very well. The only reason yours doesn't is lack of experience in tuning it up; yes it is kinda frustrating, but it is like learning to ride a bicycle. You somehow manage to do it once, it's no problem any more.
Do NOT use extra strong springs, or put two springs on one axis. This is for extension tube setup, will be a total overkill for you.
Leave the curves alone for the nearest few days. We're currently testing a new firmware addressing a couple of issues there.
Update your FW to the latest version, and try WIZZO again. Should work.
BTW, check the PM - I sent you one.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”