Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Moderator: AdminGroup

fallout9

Re: Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Postby fallout9 » Fri May 07, 2021 17:35

Fastener has to be tight on the base. Either try to force the bolt in/out (use some pliers), or wait for a replacement. The grinding might come from the fastener not going all the way in into the grip.

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Fri May 07, 2021 18:35

To be clear, the grinding sensation is when I move the cams using my hand without a grip. I haven’t been able to fully test with the grip on unfortunately, because of the faulty grip tightener.

update: Eduard just told me he sent the replacement fastener. Now that's excellent support! :)

So my question is, what is the official factory tolerance on this? Are the cams supposed to be completely smooth on all axis when tested? I have nothing of relevance to compare the smoothness with (a Virpil base for example, or someone else’s GFmkIII)

But my suspicion is that’s not the norm since on Reddit some other guy had the exact same problem and it bothered him too.

Drano

Postby Drano » Fri May 07, 2021 19:20

Yeah well stuck is different! I thought you could at least get a part of a turn on it. If you'd taken it apart and now can't get it to tighten it sounds like you've cross threaded it. That's easy enough to do on such fine threads. Good practice putting it back together is to spin the screw backwards until you feel it click into the first thread. Then spin it forward. You should be able to tighten this thing all the way together by hand. It's a running thread not a tapered thread.

I don't see a reason why you'd want to take the thing apart completely, it only makes it harder to deal with when putting the grip on. You only need to open it enough for the grip to fit onto the base making sure the wedge sides are facing the grip shaft. If you tried taking it completely apart, putting on the grip and then trying to put it back together in three pieces I'd guess that's how this happened. You want to leave that whole clamp assembly together always, screw and both halves. As I understand it, on newer grips the hole that assembly goes in has a certain shape (keyed) so it only goes in the grip one way. My older one is round so it's harder to line up. Slide it into the hole in the grip. Look in the hole at the bottom of the grip the base shaft goes into. The wedge sides should be lined up and the screw opened just enough so that the wedges don't block the hole at all. I use a pencil to move it around, anything small enough will do. Make sure it's a round opening and the base shaft will slip in. If you line it up right, it will. If the wedges slip to one side or the screw isn't opened enough, the shaft won't fit. Try again. Try to move the grip gently when putting it on the base. Don't bump it or tip it sideways at all. That way the clamps don't shift in the hole.

It's generally a pain the first couple of times you do it but you'll get the hang of it.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:50

Allright, I've put 30+20 springs on each cam and while I can steel feel the subtle grinding when moving the cams with my hand with the base opened, when I close everything and put grip on It's not noticeable. Note that this is without having secured the grip on the base (the tightener finally broke while I was trying to unscrew it unfortunately)

I'll report back when I have the new tightener, but hopefully things are looking good :D

mk2k21

Postby mk2k21 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:52

Drano wrote:I don't see a reason why you'd want to take the thing apart completely, it only makes it harder to deal with when putting the grip on. You only need to open it enough for the grip to fit onto the base making sure the wedge sides are facing the grip shaft. If you tried taking it completely apart, putting on the grip and then trying to put it back together in three pieces I'd guess that's how this happened.

You're spot on! Even with the keyed cylinders I was really having trouble aligning the two parts, and most of the time they wouldn't screw together.

With the replacement I won't take it appart and insert it into the grip directly, then gently screw the tightener.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat May 08, 2021 18:09

There's a flat side on both cylinders; that has to be aligned with the similar flat side inside grip tail, otherwise they might get stuck when tightening the screw (which I'm pretty sure it happened when it got stuck - so make sure they're properly inserted inside the grip).

admiki

Postby admiki » Sun May 09, 2021 9:41

I really can't understand what you people are talking about. Tolerances for those two pieces are so small, that if you put them in properly orientated, that screw goes straight into threaded hole. Although, with such a small threads it is easy to damage them if you don't apply some common sense. Even with large screws, like M18 it is good practice to start threading them by hand until at least two full turns are made.
In this case, dont press on Allen key. Use two fingers to roll the key between finger tips. Best analogy would be cleaning your ears with cotton tip.

Return to “Technical Support”