Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Moderator: AdminGroup

Necc

Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Postby Necc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:32

Hi All,
My MCG Pro Grip and Gunfighter rev B arrived today; very nice stick, but when I installed the grip onto the base I could feel a grinding sensation when moving the joystick to the right and forwards (moving the stick back is buttery smooth but moving it forwards and to the right is like fine sandpaper.). I had a look at inside the base and it looks like there's a round metal screw that rolls along trigger-shaped pieces like a rail. It's not really a big deal, but it is noticeable. Is this something that will go away over time or do I need to apply some grease so it's smoother? The stick came with a replacement pair too - should I use these instead?

AeroGator

Re: Subtle grinding on both axis (MCG Pro & Gunfighter rev. B)

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08

Necc wrote:Hi All,
My MCG Pro Grip and Gunfighter rev B arrived today; very nice stick, but when I installed the grip onto the base I could feel a grinding sensation when moving the joystick to the right and forwards (moving the stick back is buttery smooth but moving it forwards and to the right is like fine sandpaper.). I had a look at inside the base and it looks like there's a round metal screw that rolls along trigger-shaped pieces like a rail. It's not really a big deal, but it is noticeable. Is this something that will go away over time or do I need to apply some grease so it's smoother? The stick came with a replacement pair too - should I use these instead?

a - it might be normal, it might be not, depending on how strong the feeling is, and whether or not you keep feeling it in play as opposed to on the bench.
b - to see if it is "normal" or "not normal", please post up a picture (make sure it is sharp and evenly lit) of the part in question. upload the picture here, do not post a link to any file depository: we do not follow external links.
c - these "replacement" cams are no replacements, they are different ones with different curvature, meant for different missions. but don't focus on them now, let's solve the grinding issue first.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Necc

Postby Necc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43

I have a sneaking suspicion it is normal, but it looks like the roller that moves along the cam on the x axis is not in the centre and goes off the edge a bit. If I push my finger upward on the cam towards me and move the gimbal to the left and right, there is no grinding sensation obviously because there is no contact between the roller and cam. There is some noticable corrosion on the y axis cam; if I move the joystick backwards it's fine, but when I move it forwards there is grinding.
Attachments
IMAG0366.jpg
IMAG0362.jpg
IMAG0369.jpg

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17

Necc wrote:A) I have a sneaking suspicion it is normal
B) it looks like the roller that moves along the cam on the x axis is not in the centre and goes off the edge a bit
C) There is some noticable corrosion on the y axis cam; if I move the joystick backwards it's fine, but when I move it forwards there is grinding.

Thanks for speedy reply.
A - whatever makes you less than fully happy is less than fully normal
B - that doesn't matter at all, don't worry, and don't even consider getting extra washers or whatever. it matters not, and influences nothing
C -
Ca - cams are made of hi-grade steel.
Cb - steel is prone to rusting. to prevent it from rusting, we apply chromium coating to it.
Cc - chromium doesn't stick to steel. to apply chromium to steel we first cover steel with a layer of copper, and then electroplate it with chromium.
Cd - every cam we get from the metal works, we test by running our super-sensitive :roll: fingers along the working surface. if we're not happy with what we feel, we touch it with a dremel with the finest polishing head.
Ce - so most likely what you see as corrosion is a layer of copper not rust.

Although theoretically it is possible we overlooked a rusty cam, I'd not give it more than a fraction of a per cent probability.

Now, what to do.
Copper is a soft metal. Although there is a very thin layer, it can still be rolled smooth. Let's try applying a slightest smear of thick grease (liquid oil will do as well, but I'm telling you what's better) to the working surface of cam in question. Use it for a month or so. Chances are pretty high that the problem goes. If not, call again.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”