MCG loose base

Moderator: AdminGroup

Tripwire

Re: MCG loose base

Postby Tripwire » Sat May 05, 2018 17:28

Found my stick had a similar issue (first batch). One of the screws was not tight at all, the other also needed a bit of tightening.
Pulled it all apart as per instructions and have used spring washers as well.

Feels much better now, no movement any more in the base of the stick.

YAGA

Postby YAGA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:30

I have a similar problem. Except the sockets the screws screw into themselves are loose in the plastic sheathing. Therefore, no matter how tight the screws are, the grip is loose. Is there any way to safely secure the metal sockets inside the plastic sheaths?

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48

YAGA wrote:I have a similar problem

Replied to you in another thread.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

YAGA

Postby YAGA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 18:12

I'm not sure I follow. The only course of action is to open a support ticket? I was hoping there was a way I could re-secure these sockets on my own. How are these sockets anchored originally?

This is a different issue than my issue with roll axis jumping, so I've responded to this thread.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30

YAGA wrote:not sure I follow

You heard me right; first to do is open a ticket. The dealer will then ask you for the picture of the problematic part of the grip. The brass nut cylinders are hot pressed into plastic, and to me it is hard to imagine such a nut getting loose. But it's the dealer's job to do the primary diagnostics; if he finds something like a crack in the plastic that lead to the nut going loose he will ask us for the plastic half of the grip replacement (or pull one out of his drawer if he has spares).
Best Regards,
AeroGator

YAGA

Postby YAGA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59

Let's try phrasing the question like this: If you were faced with this problem of a formerly hot-pressed socket coming loose, what adhesive would you use to re-secure the socket? Glue? Locktight? There are no cracks. It has simply lost whatever bond it originally had and cleanly slides out a few millimeters. I'm unsure why it doesn't slide further but I haven't forced it to find out. The other socket securing the grip to the 3 pin adapter is fine.

You must, as chief engineer, designer, and guardian of the technical support subforum have some insight. It seems worthwhile to try to fix it before resorting to transferring everything into a new half. And if that is the ultimate resort, there's no harm in trying this first.

I will open a ticket regardless though. I do very much appreciate your lack of hesitation to go the route of replacement.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:03

YAGA wrote:chief engineer, designer, and guardian of the technical support subforum have some insight.

I am a tech support guy, not the chief engineer or designer (you would perhaps never see any new products if these people were routinely dealing with tech support, right?) - and as a tech support guy I rarely take guesses.
I must see what I work on. This is why I said the dealer would most likely ask you for a detailed picture of the nut and socket in question. Dealers are skilled in these things, they are not dumb resellers.
To me it sounds nearly impossible that this part goes loose, but again, I am not guessing anything based on words.
There is for sure a pretty fat chance like 90 % that a drop of CA would solve the question once forever but DO NOT take it as an advice.
So please take pictures (NO need for multi-Mb giant pics, make them compact but informative), and send them to the dealer together with your support request. Please do not send them to me - it is local dealer' job.
And sure enough, we take our warranty very seriously, if the part needs to be replaced, replaced it will be.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 18, 2018 0:34

Not really the correct topic, but since this topic has some information about used screws etc, could you please let us know, which type of screws you're using for mounting the base plate to the rest of the stick. I'm using a table mount for that, but would like to replace the original screws, because their coned heads don't work well in combination with the custom mounting plate.

Thanks alot.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:46

Matt wrote:which type of screws you're using for mounting the base plate to the rest of the stick

M4*12
Best Regards,
AeroGator

streakeagle

Postby streakeagle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:10

My only criticism of my VKB MCG Pro would be the slight wiggle I have between the stick grip and its metal fitting that connects to the extension. I am surprised to find that many people have this problem. Mine did this out of the box. It has worked so well in all other ways that I never thought much about it. But it is nice to know that I am not alone and there are suggestions for how to fix this.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:52

Here's a simple fix (from the FAQ at VKBcontrollers.com):

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=my-mcg- ... t-can-i-do
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Feb 16, 2019 15:29

streakeagle wrote:My only criticism of my VKB MCG Pro would be the slight wiggle I have between the stick grip and its metal fitting that connects to the extension. I am surprised to find that many people have this problem. Mine did this out of the box. It has worked so well in all other ways that I never thought much about it. But it is nice to know that I am not alone and there are suggestions for how to fix this.

I know we are kind of necro-ing a slightly old thread, but the split washer noted by rrhode in the post just above mine works. (Or, I had some small rubber o-rings from another project that also did the trick, while they're not structurally the same as a a split washer they still provide enough friction against rotation that the screws have not come loose again). I think after the first batch or so this problem should have gone away for all newer purchasers, with the split washers added at manufacture time.

I have two other very minor issues, one just a 'live with' and one corrected.
  • The top POV / analog hat can actually "stick" in the up-right corner. (As in I let go and it stays there; I have to flick it back down to center.) There might be just the tiniest bit of flashing on the plastic shell that the control is getting some stiction against. I haven't made any attempt to shave it or otherwise fix, because it doesn't happen very often and I can 'feel' when it is and just correct automatically. I consider it a non-issue really, it's just a quirk.
  • There've been a lot of posts about X axis going wonky over the many months since the first batch, to which I've contributed both agreement and unfortunately misinformation (shame on me). The cable that goes from the X axis sensor board to the other board can kind of catch around the corner of the X axis circuit board and get tugged on causing some slight intermittence. I've blamed it on all sorts of other things in other posts (Razer software and polling on same USB hub for example). But ever since retraining that cable a bit....I've had at least a month now without a single randomly triggered key though so that's completely fixed in my opinion. (And come to think of it that's a "Gunfighter" issue not an "MCG" issue, because it could occur with a newer Kosmo or older Gunfighter-type grip as well.

Still without a doubt the Gunfighter MK II and MCG Pro have been the most satisfying experience of any peripheral I have bought, ever. Sincerely. (And that list includes a slew of keyboards including my current Cougar K700, many mice (M700 currently), two Razer Orbweavers, a Razer Tartarus, Saitek X56 stick or throttle, Vive wands, and way back in the dawn of time my experiences with a Microsoft FFB Joystick. OK, the Slaw Viper pedals are an equally satisfying peripheral purchase...but I'm asking far less of them, just structural rigidity and 3 axes and no other buttons.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

streakeagle

Postby streakeagle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31

I finally got around to taking my grip apart. I found one screw floating around the inside and the other backed out quite a bit. I didn't have any small washers or spacers, but I had some small black nuts whose threads were loose enough to spiral up the screws and act as spacers. Now for the first time, my grip is tight. What a difference! I had gotten so used to the loose wiggle that I didn't really notice it much, but now its like a brand new stick.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36

streakeagle wrote:I finally got around to taking my grip apart. I found one screw floating around the inside and the other backed out quite a bit. I didn't have any small washers or spacers, but I had some small black nuts whose threads were loose enough to spiral up the screws and act as spacers. Now for the first time, my grip is tight. What a difference! I had gotten so used to the loose wiggle that I didn't really notice it much, but now its like a brand new stick.

I feel damn sorry for the time you had to waste. Our fault.
Pity you didn't take pictures of the loosened screws, I'd like to bring this issue to the production team.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

LukeFF

Postby LukeFF » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26

For what it's worth, my MCG Pro grip has also had this issue.

Return to “Technical Support”