Gunfighter Calibration

Moderator: AdminGroup

ChinNoobonic

Gunfighter Calibration

Postby ChinNoobonic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34

I've noticed something pretty interesting with the calibration of the Gunfighter. During the day, the calibration of the x axis is perfect, but during the early morning, it's always off by 20 to the right. I'm not sure why it happens, but it's only the x-axis. My best guess would be the cold air contracting the clutch but the center position hasn't changed so who knows. The really interesting bit is that I don't have to re-calibrate it during the day, it just fixes itself. The 1st 3 screen shots are how it is now, working as it should. I'll post another set when the issue pops up in a few hours.

I'm using #10 cams with #30+#40 springs on the Y-axis and 2x#40 on the X-axis. I'm also using the Cougar grip with no extension.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

AeroGator

Re: Gunfighter Calibration

Postby AeroGator » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:53

OK, let us see...
Next morning pls do the repeatability check with vkbjoytester and post the curves. Let us see how it looks from morning to morning.
Then - NOT BEFORE - calibrate the joystick and post the physical and logical axes screenshots.
Sorry it might take a few more mornings to get enough data for proper analysis.
Thx.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ChinNoobonic

Postby ChinNoobonic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 15:02

Here are the shots with me just powering on my PC a few minutes ago:
Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I then re-calibrated after taking those shots:
Capture3.PNG

ChinNoobonic

Postby ChinNoobonic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19

So due to the re-calibration this morning, I have to re-calibrate again. Nothing has changed since my last post this morning. Hopefully this data is helpful.
Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28

Honestly, I would be pretty happy with this joystick.
With the sole exception of the offset shown in CAPTURE2.png, when the joystick zeroes at 33056, offsets are more than fine.
Say, CAPTURE.png shows offset=48, which translates to, errrrr..... 0.029° - less than three hundredth of one degree (!!!).
And that, by the way, is when you are using a soft-centered cam!
What did disturb me a little was the long period of oscillation. It takes your grip nearly 2 secs to come to halt after being released. That means your dampers are fully retired. Sure, it is your own choice, but I'd turn them down a but to reduce the oscillating to 1 sec at very most. In fact, it should be like 2-3 oscillations - and full stop.
Once again, with the soft-center cams and dampers half-engaged the joystick does not have to return to dead center point.

Your device is nearly perfectly tuned up.

The question, of course, remains - why it is like this in the morning and different in the evening - but well, there must be some room in life for mystery! 8)
Please do continue the observations. If there is any unusually large offset, or a repeatable pattern of the offsets - let me know.
Otherwise, fly, shoot, and enjoy.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ChinNoobonic

Postby ChinNoobonic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 15:45

Increasing DzLo to ~2-2.2 seems to be the workaround for both situations. It's not the solution I'd want, but it works for now.

ChinNoobonic

Postby ChinNoobonic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 17:04

Reopening this because I seem to have found the issue. For the past couple days I've been leaving the USB cable unplugged while the machine boots to see if that would make a difference and sure enough the issue was fixed. So it seems something is happening when the cable is plugged in while Windows boots.

@AeroGator Maybe this is something that can be addressed?

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Jul 24, 2017 17:16

Many thanks, this is something we had never bumped into, at least I've never heard of anything like this.
It might be unique to your computer, but we ill try to simulate it.
I hope you wouldn't mind if I bother you a couple of times if we need some of your computer details and settings.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ChinNoobonic

Postby ChinNoobonic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 18:26

Sure, just let me know what you need.

Return to “Technical Support”