VKB T Rudder Mk. IV different tension between left and right sides

Moderator: AdminGroup

Ranma13

VKB T Rudder Mk. IV different tension between left and right sides

Postby Ranma13 » Fri May 12, 2017 15:10

Hello, I'm having an issue with my T Rudder Mk. IV's. The tension between the left and right sides is noticeably different, with the left side requiring more force to stomp down on vs. the right. I've tried the cam setting in both hard center and soft center positions and the problem occurs with both, though it's slightly less noticeable with the hard center. I've also tried adjusting the spring force between normal and high, and on normal the tension difference between the two sides is slightly noticeable, and on high, it's very noticeable. In all cases, I have the tension screw unscrewed all the way so that it doesn't apply any pressure to the cam arm.

Is this behavior normal, and if not, is there any way for me to fix it on my end?

Sokol1

Re: VKB T Rudder Mk. IV different tension between left and right sides

Postby Sokol1 » Fri May 12, 2017 17:55

I have Mk.II and is slight more heavy in left side, think that is inherent of one lever CAM.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03

Just to confirm - Sokol is right.
Also, the difference is rather slight, and since you're pushing these pedals with your legs, barely noticeable.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

kaschberle

Postby kaschberle » Sun May 06, 2018 3:26

Changed to the heavy spring setting and I got really noticeable, to the point where I will probably go back to the lighter one.

Shouldnt this be fixable though? I mean, the springs should be linear, and even if they wouldnt, there would still be function that describes the relation between spring force and elongation of spring. This would make it possible to design cam that offsets this (with nonlinear spring only for one tension setting though). Or is my mind totally screwed right now :?: :?: :?:

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:35

Probable not related to spring - since is used only one, but in CAM profile.

Anyway their profile is already not symmetrical:

Left side angle is less pronounced than right side - in both profiles.

Mora

Postby Mora » Tue Feb 05, 2019 18:33

I just got mine and I have to say there is little or no difference on the high spring setting with the milder profile. Maybe the cam profiles have been fine tuned. This issue would be easily resolved by sanding down the right side profile.

blackram

Postby blackram » Sun Feb 10, 2019 21:05

I must admit I didnt notice that when I had MK4 pedals. They only thing I noticed is that one "arm" was slightly lowered compared to the other one but that didnt bother me.

Aviators

Postby Aviators » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16

is there still this problem, or has it been fixed at the hardware or software level?
L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

AstroNomad

Postby AstroNomad » Tue Feb 08, 2022 13:44

There does not appear to be a software solution to the necessary input pressure, and the difference in feel between the left and right pedal. As a strong-spring user on my T-Rudders, I would sincerely appreciate a better balanced cam from VKB.
------
Right: GF MkIII
Left: Gf MkI
Feet: VKB T-Rudders <3

Return to “Technical Support”