[SOLVED] Poblem with Gunfighter x-axis

Moderator: AdminGroup

tecman69

Re: Poblem with Gunfighter x-axis

Postby tecman69 » Fri May 05, 2017 17:04

rrohde wrote:And - another idea: Remove the clutch fully from the X axis by removing the L-shaped PCB (remove the two small screws holding it in place), pull off the PCB, remove the M3 nut holding the clutch halves together, pull out the clutch, and then don't assemble anything, just put the grip on, and test how the X axis behaves. It should be free of any friction without the clutch being there. :)

OK cool Rainer, thanks for the 'get-out-of-jail-free' card ;)

This was my next move on testing. Thanks for the details. Going offline.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Fri May 05, 2017 17:07

Of course, you can disassemble all. If you break something, we will send you spare parts for free.

tecman69

Postby tecman69 » Fri May 05, 2017 18:40

OK, got it! And I never would have guessed the root cause, and it is understandable why VKB engineers would not have caught this, but I think that you may be getting more of these complaints coming in from this first batch of sticks.

So here's the fix: Unscrew the top left of the six bolts holding down the rubber ring by 2-3 turns. Yup, that's right, that's all it is. That screw is impacting to top of the nylon piece on the x-axis dry-clutch causing it to grab more than intended even when the center bolt and spring-loaded bolt are completely loose.

How I found it: After Raines said I could remove the nylon clutch, I found everything worked great. So I put it back together making sure the clutch was as loose as possible and tested fine. But then when I screwed the top back on it stopped. So it hit me, when I unscrewed the top-left ring screw, and looked in the hole, there was the nylon clutch directly below it.

And this is not from my over-tightening, as from the beginning I made sure I re-attached the ring with less tightening than it came from the factory. Not sure if this is the root-cause of VCQBR's problem with his grip sticking right, but I am guessing you will be having more tickets coming in from this.

Hope I helped contribute to the continued success of this great stick. And my Gunfighter was a great stick even with the problem. Now it is the Perfect Stick! Thanks for your help Raines and UIV. If you all need QA help on your MCG, space grip or any future products, just send me a free sample ;)

Goblox

Postby Goblox » Fri May 05, 2017 18:49

Is it too much to ask for a picture pointing to the screws you backed out? I'm waiting for my GF to arrive and was hoping to fix this quickly if I saw it too.

But thanks in advance for figuring this out. I hope this works for everyone

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri May 05, 2017 18:50

Now that is extremely important! Thank you for identifying this! I will relate this to UIV asap!

Needless to say, we will have to inform customers about this as well. Once again, thank you for your effort of finding this out. :)

EDIT: Could you maybe also - for closure - redo the X and Y axis screenshots from the Joytester so we can see the difference? If you don't mind... :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

tecman69

Postby tecman69 » Fri May 05, 2017 19:13

Goblox wrote:
Is it too much to ask for a picture pointing to the screws you backed out? I'm waiting for my GF to arrive and was hoping to fix this quickly if I saw it too.

But thanks in advance for figuring this out. I hope this works for everyone

It is very easy to find. There are six small bolts on the metal ring holding down the rubber dust cover on the top of the base. It is the top-left of the six. I am sure VKB will be supplying a picture when they send notifications after confirmation by their QA.

tecman69

Postby tecman69 » Fri May 05, 2017 19:19

rrohde wrote:EDIT: Could you maybe also - for closure - redo the X and Y axis screenshots from the Joytester so we can see the difference? If you don't mind... :)

Sure Raines,

Here's the y-axis that is unchanged from original factory:
y-axis.jpg

Here's the original x-axis as came out of the box:
x-axis.jpg

And here is the graph after unscrewing the one rubber dust-cover metal ring bolt (2 x-throws on left, 2 y-throws on right):
Scr170505111810.jpg

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri May 05, 2017 19:35

Perfect! Thank you once again!
VKB North America

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri May 05, 2017 19:38

Oh, and you might have to recalibrate, as your X axis is not perfectly centered yet. :)
After that, you should be golden!
VKB North America

tecman69

Postby tecman69 » Fri May 05, 2017 20:17

Yup, just noticed that in the graph Raines. Thanks. Looking forward to flyin this weekend!

Return to “Technical Support”