[RESOLVED] black box firmware is damaged

Moderator: AdminGroup

mengcnt1

[RESOLVED] black box firmware is damaged

Postby mengcnt1 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:11

My black box firmware is damaged.
Can provide Firmware: _BlackBox_v1_85_2.vkb download it?

UIV
Мастер

Re: black box firmware is damaged

Postby UIV » Mon May 01, 2017 4:43

I'll upload today on the ftp.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Mon May 01, 2017 6:45

joeedee

Postby joeedee » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53

What was wrong with your firmware. I ask only because I have a red flashing 'stick' LED regardless of if the grip is connected or not. Also axis input are detected but no buttons are detected. I have tried reinstalling firmware buy unsuccessful. Was your fault similar to mine? It may help me to diagnose the problem.

Thanks

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Tue May 09, 2017 12:19

1) Let's check, how do you connected the grip. Can you upload the photos? (better without dust cover).
2) Check this connector, please. Maybe the connector disconnected during transportation.
b1.JPG

pyrewyrm

Postby pyrewyrm » Wed May 10, 2017 22:42

Experiencing a similar issue. Posting here testing and results.

The following was displayed in joystick central panel in SC Joystick Mapper [v 2.29.0.63]
X/Y axis visible and responsive
Buttons reported as 128 but 0 buttons cue when pressed
(I used here to test stick without full game boot up- if you are playing Star Citizen and using several control interfaces across FPS/Flight/Vehicle modes, this software is handy as we keep changing iterations in alpha as a way of saving and restoring key assignment maps/configs. It also includes a handy joystick tuning interface in GUI form with display to help dial in response curves and dial in deadzones w/ easy to verify testing)

On blackbox:
Blue Sys light on and solid.
Red Stick light blinking (~twice/sec)

Cable connection displayed in picture posted checked and confirmed seated firmly.

DevCfg-C program executed in admin acct (if you cannot open the program in your regular user acct, it may be due to windows defender or some such not allowing the program to start. Open admin acct and execute first time and click 'more' in text field to gain "run anyway' option).

Default settings of program on first run (Note, you must click on the text line showing something like VKBsim Black Box GF to un-gray options in program)

Error on order to give device report (excuse typos):
"The following error(s) have occured:
Access violation at address 00434AFO in module 'VKBDevCfg-C.exe'.
Read of address 00000000"

Execute again in expert mode gives no such error but also no apparent errors or warnings in right side of screen.

Left with these results, I went back to basics and verified physical contact of three pin connections through joystick extension to stick itself.
NOTATION: Bottom pin channel connection extension to gimbal base is TIGHT! VERY TIGHT. You may need to unscrew the two-piece assembly then use the hex-head wrench to drift the stuck pin half using light taps from a plastic mallet or small dead-blow hammer.

Lower connection was solid. However, upper connection was 'false seated' at a resistance point that resulted in no connection. Loosening and seating the stick firmly to the extension resulted in a 1/4" deep seat and near-immediate change from flashing red to solid green on 'stick' indicator of blackbox.

I have tried to include several error points and observations so that search queries of forum may help this thread stay on top to accumulate a solution set for those experiencing problems and/or may be (like me) new to VKB products and software.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Thu May 11, 2017 4:30

What a grip connected to the base?

pyrewyrm

Postby pyrewyrm » Thu May 11, 2017 20:42

UIV wrote:What a grip connected to the base?

If you were responding to me, I had the Pro extension connected to the base and the default KG12 grip atop that. The top of the extension had a resistance point a 1/4" shy of the actual full seat position that I had locked it in at (trying to be gentle with the parts). When I reexamined the connections, I found I wasn't fully seated and fully seating it resolved my issue.

I listed out the things I did and results I got so that others getting the same indicators might find and check their physical connections a bit more closely to see if this resolved their problem.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri May 12, 2017 3:14

Glad you got it working - and thank you for your feedback!
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Return to “Technical Support”