Grip pinouts

Moderator: AdminGroup

alberto

Grip pinouts

Postby alberto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 17:56

Hello, is possible to have a pinouts description of the grips? I would like to use the new Modern Combat Grip with a MS FFB2 and an arduino. Thank you

Ron61

Re: Grip pinouts

Postby Ron61 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 20:05

You demand the impossible, unfortunately :shock: :) .

alberto

Postby alberto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 20:14

well, if VKB can provide some DIY to use the grip with an arduino or any other controller then will only be better for them, more people will buy it I think

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 20:36

Alberto,

VKB grips communicate with base controller trough a digital protocol using a 3 way wire (+, -, signal).

So for for use MCP grip in this MSFFB2 conversion, you will need remove any circuit inside grip and add there a Shift Register board (relatively easy and cheap, if space is not issue) and plug this in Arduino (with Shift Register compatible firmware) using a serial protocol through 5 wires cable. Doable, but will take more work that just "plug and play". :wink:

alberto

Postby alberto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 21:02

thanks... I will order one when available and mod :D

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 0:21

So for for use MCP grip in this MSFFB2 conversion, you will need remove any circuit inside grip and add there a Shift Register board (relatively easy and cheap, if space is not issue) and plug this in Arduino (with Shift Register compatible firmware) using a serial protocol through 5 wires cable. Doable, but will take more work that just "plug and play".

I forget a detail, the "brake" lever and mini-stick MaRS digital inputs, so instead do the above MOD you just get MCG grip version compatible with Warthog base - because this versions has a additional electronic circuit for translate MaRS "mini-stick" axis digital inputs in button press to be compatible with Warthog base, in their original form their are compatible only with VKB Njoy32 controllers.

This version will be compatible with controllers with firmware with Shift Register support, e.g. Warthog/Cougar bases, DIY MMJoy2, Easy Joy32 One and I guess the controllers used in Baur/VirPil bases.

Notice that in any case you will loose the ability for use that "brake lever" and mini-stick as proportional axis, will be only a button press.

Monroe07

Postby Monroe07 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59

Sokol1 wrote:Alberto,

VKB grips communicate with base controller trough a digital protocol using a 3 way wire (+, -, signal).

So for for use MCP grip in this MSFFB2 conversion, you will need remove any circuit inside grip and add there a Shift Register board (relatively easy and cheap, if space is not issue) and plug this in Arduino (with Shift Register compatible firmware) using a serial protocol through 5 wires cable. Doable, but will take more work that just "plug and play". :wink:

Sokol1, what is the protocols actual name? Is it a standard protocol like I2C, Serial etc?

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00

No, protocol is proprietary of VKB, work only with their Njoy32 controller, as well the MaRS sensor used in MCG PRO grip.

Monroe07

Postby Monroe07 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 19:52

Sokol,

Any chance you know the protocol and can help me with info on how to read it? Looking at it through an oscilloscope, it looks like a ppm (pulse position modulation) signal used by RC planes. I'm trying to use the, albeit expensive, MK. IV pedals in an interface to control an RC plane. My only other recourses are to decode it myself using an oscilloscope and protocol analyzer or build my own PCB that takes the place of the sensor board and outputs a friendlier protocol for my purposes.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33

I don't know nothing about codes - just that VKB use proprietary codes. :mrgreen:

Look, for DIY (almost) nothing is impossible, but to make a VKB MCG grip work with other joys electronics or Arduino you will need replace their interior electronics and proprietary MaRS sensors. In the end you will use only the plastic shells and some switches and are not able to use their exclusive features like brake lever and mini-sticks (proprietary) contact less sensors. Don't sounds a good idea spent all that money to have a "Frankens'tick" working at the best like a Warthog grip.

Return to “Technical Support”