Gladiator Y Axis Deadzone

Moderator: AdminGroup

MercenaryThorrn

Gladiator Y Axis Deadzone

Postby MercenaryThorrn » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57

Hello,

Just noticed my new Gladiator seems to have a dead zone in its Y axis.
I have used Wizzo to remove Roll/Pitch deadzones in the centre.
The X axis is working as I would expect.

This video shows what I am seeing -
https://youtu.be/Quc5RdPwsYA
Wondering if this is normal or if something is wrong?

I tired calibrating in Wizzo but I am not sure if I did it right or if it would help. It seemed to have no effect.
I have upgraded the firmware to 1.80.8

Cheers
Thorrn

dimswitch

Re: Gladiator Y Axis Deadzone

Postby dimswitch » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51

I have this exact same problem! I set firmware deadzones to zero using Wizzo, roll and yaw work just as expected (excellent precision), but the pitch axis has a lot of physical "slop" that is not registering on the sensors. Like the video you posted, I can rock the stick back and forth several mm along the y-axis without anything registering. I know that this joystick is (apparently) supposed to have some unsprung play in the middle to allow very precise aim, but if that's all this is then it should still register those small movements, right?

The biggest problem is that when you set a low deadzone in the firmware (anything less than 4% for my stick) returning from pitching up or down stops short of dead center on the sensors, which continue to report a slight pitch up/down reading until you push in the other direction. This creates an oscillating effect making precision aiming very difficult - very frustrating in a "precision" joystick!

I came here because apparently the US support company (Stratojet) just closed its doors. I've updated the firmware to the latest iteration [1.80.8]. Before I review this joystick and/or return it, I'd really love to hear from VKB-Sim on whether this is a defect or just normal operation.

MercenaryThorrn

Postby MercenaryThorrn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 22:17

I did actully get a reply via email.

"As far as I can see you refer to regular Gladiator joystick, is that correct ?
The deadzone definitely exists on both axis and it is normal. Also, Y-axis has a bit larger deadzone as well. It deviates from stick to stick but after all, it is a low-cost plastic gimbal and it is not possible to get read of deadzone near neutral position. Definitely, Gladiator Pro with metal gimbal has no issues with that at all but the cost is also much higher."

I replied back to double check with a link to this fourm post and a quote from within. viewtopic.php?t=2282

Question: When the stick is in the central/neutral position, why does it have a small, but soft area with virtually no resistance? Is this caused by poor design or production?

Answer: No, we did it on purpose.

Our analysis of virtual pilots’ preferences showed that many prefer sticks with a very soft behavior at the center. The strong "engagement step" of other joysticks, which tries to hold the handle in the center spot can prevent accurate aiming when it is needed most. To move the grip a very small amount, it becomes necessary to make an effort to overcome this "step". This center "step" on a joystick axis tells you when you are in the center, but on other hand it prevents precise control in the approximate central position. It is important to have a balance and we have tried to implement such balance by giving priority to the soft behavior in the middle, rather than a clear and hard return to center force, while also using very accurate sensors and solid construction throughout the internals.

Additionally, when you try to eliminate any excess free movement with plastic parts rubbing against each other, you can encounter annoying stickiness causing jumpy behavior. It can cause more problems than it solves. Our design with the softer center eliminates such issues.

Also, just because resistance is soft it does not mean there is no movement or deflection being detected by the controller. You can set a deadzone of 0 to see that any movements near the center are still being seen by the game. Do not confuse a purposeful soft middle with unwanted “sloppiness” where no movements are being detected as you would find with older joysticks that use a potentiometer. The deadzone can be set digitally using our WIZZO utility.

The part near the end makes it sound like there should be no deadzone. It may only apply to the pro model so that is what I am waiting to hear back on. That said it has been over 2 weeks.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:22

MercenaryThorrn wrote:The part near the end makes it sound like there should be no deadzone. It may only apply to the pro model so that is what I am waiting to hear back on. That said it has been over 2 weeks.

Well, in a nutshell - that plastic gimbal's deadzone is a mechanical deadzone that cannot be overcome by the software. From what I understand, the next batch of VKB Gladiators (not the Pro) will have a slightly different plastic gimbal that is supposed to have a lesser mechanical deadzone.
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

MercenaryThorrn

Postby MercenaryThorrn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:09

Thanks for the reply!
I am working on a small review of the joystick so would love to include any extra details you might have of the next batch.
Are the parts being made to a higher tolerance during manufacture to reduce the dead zone or is it a slightly different design?
Also when would the new batch be in circulation?
Cheers.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:14

I will ask VKB proper about that and let you know. That's all internal to them. :)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Rolfey

Postby Rolfey » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:20

I just got a Gladiator and am also experiencing a large amount of play in the pitch axis. The fact that the movement in this area is not registered by the sensor makes it look like its not the intended 'soft centre' like the FAQ describes.

ErikPalumbo

Postby ErikPalumbo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:43

The part near the end makes it sound like there should be no deadzone. It may only apply to the pro model so that is what I am waiting to hear back on. That said it has been over 2 weeks.

Return to “Technical Support”