T-Rudder Mk.IV - Need Help

Moderator: AdminGroup

JG53_Jaguar

T-Rudder Mk.IV - Need Help

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:15

Hi All,

I just got the T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals from Amazon today. I have Win 7 64bit Pro SP1 OS, I got everything hooked up. The Black box that came with the pedals show Blue Light on (SYS) as well as Yellow light on (PEDALS). I then went to Devices and Printers. I see "VKBsim Black Box" icon, I have right clicked on the icon and selected menu "Game Controller settings". So I'm now in the Game Controllers dialog, I see the "VKBsim Black Box" and satus shows as "OK". I clicked on "Properties" button. In the test tab of the dialog as see in the "Axes" area: Z Axis, X Rotation, Y Rotation and Z Rotation. When I move the left or right pedal I see only the X Rotation moving. (Question Why X Rotation, shouldn't it be Z Axis or Z Rotation?) This to me indicates that hardware is ok, I'm assuming.

I then proceeded to run DCS ( Digital Combat Simulator) and went into Options, then CONTROLS. I see that the "VKBsim Black Box" is available so scroll down to the Rudder Left and double click on the empty box under the VKBsim Black Box" column. I try to move my pedals but DCS is not picking up anything.

Do I need a software to make the pedals to work in a flight sim ? Where can I get the latest version?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

HooliganS3

Re: T-Rudder Mk.IV - Need Help

Postby HooliganS3 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 18:58

Make sure you are in the Axis settings for the controls in DCS. It is a separate catagory from all of the other control sections.

JG53_Jaguar

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:32

Yes and it doesn't work, I have also tested the rudder in the IL2: Stalingrad and still no go. I can't assign the rudder in that game either.

Is there a way to somehow re-set the pedals to factory settings ? I don't see any way how to do this in the VKBDevCfg-C.exe application.

Seriously, I like the hardware but software (perhaps the blackbox) isn't working as it should. I was really hoping I would get some help on the official forum but so far none. So I guess if I don't hear from anyone, I will have to ship the product back.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:41

JG53_Jaguar wrote:Do I need a software to make the pedals to work in a flight sim ? Where can I get the latest version?

Hi Jaguar,
You don't need to use the software to assign your pedals axis in any sim.
The latest version of the VKB Device Config software is available >>> in that thread <<<
(and here's a direct link for the latest v0.77.66)
You can also check their FTP but the latest version will be available in the russian beta thread first.

While assigning the controls, DCS sometimes requires to move the axes through their full range a few times before catching the correct axis. I also had this behavior with my X55 throttle and other axes. Try to move the pedals full left to full right a few times and it should appear correctly.
Alternatively you can just select the axis in the drop-down list.

I only have the Tiny Box but it should be the same with your Black Box.
Also the rudder pedals axis shows up as the X axis because it's been defined as is by (factory) default. It might be confusing at first - I was also intuitively expecting to see the Z axis for the rudder.
It can be changed with the VKB Device Config if you wish:

(Profile tab)

(no issue with the rudder pedals identified as the X axis though)

Also, VKB staff probably didn't see your message and issue, otherwise they would have tried to help you. They're still a small team and are probably overwhelmed with many things ;)

Anyway. I hope you'll be able to get the most out of your pedals!

(and thanks for your message as it made me notice I can upgrade my firmwares :mrgreen: )
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

JG53_Jaguar

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:11

First of all, thank you very much for your help Bourrinopathe!!!

Ok well, nothing is working for me and I'm not sure why. I have been building my own PC for the past 25 years so I'm not exactly rookie.

I got all the hardware connected properly, I double checked the Game Controller properties in the Win7 to make sure the Left and right rudder work. When I step on the left rudder pedal the value decreases to Zero. When I step on the right pedal to value for the x axis goes to the max, all seems ok to me. Yesterday, I was messing around the profile values though I believe I set it all back to their original values but I'm not really 100% sure since the Rudder LED on the back box (yellow light) is no longer turned on.

In terms of how my current profile looks like I'm attaching image in this post.

T-Rudder MK4.png

Note: I didn't change anything on the Buttons tab, that's why I'm not showing it. Can you please show me your whole Common -n- Axes profile so that I can set it according to yours (Both your Global tab Common/External and your Profile tab.)

There should be somewhere a factory reset profile settings option in the software, this needs to be added as soon as possible.

Anyways, I have loaded DCS and tried to assign the axis but I have pressed pedal from left to right as you suggested few times but there is no response from DCS. Funny thing is after I exit DCS the Controller Settings for the controller no longer shows the proper visual value of the left and right rudder in windows.

Now I guess at this point I need to re-set the profile probably because I no longer see the RUDDER yellow light on the black box. So I need someone to show me so that I can correct my profile and try again. It's boggles my mind why windows calibration test clearly shows the proper values (before I run DCS) and there is no response in the DCS. A youtube video would help me big time. I don't want to return the pedals as I like the hardware (there are no really good pedals that match the quality of Warthog Cougar it seems) but if I can't get it work I will have to send them back.

Thank You!

In Addition, I followed this German youtube video of the MK III pedals and notice that in position 2:06 the profile of these pedals looks very different from mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcq6YJct7M

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:16

Thanks for all the details.
To my (limited) knowledge, the only thing that seems unusual in your picture is the V_MaRS input type in the "Physical Axes" tab, first line, axis #1 (mine is set to D_MaRS - which stands for Digital MagnetoResistive Sensor).
But, again, I don't own a Black Box, so I'm not sure how it's configured by default. That V_MaRS setting does not appear in my version of the Russian manual (v2.2).
As you stated that your axis is still responding in certain conditions, it might be the correct parameter.

There's an internal command in the VKB Device Config to restore the default settings (it's not obvious at all).
I'd suggest you run the program as an administrator and try that:

Go to the info tab, and type DEFAULT in the field, then hit the "button with no name" ;)
You should see "Done" displayed in the window.

You can also restore the default profile by loading and applying the profile (BB_def_v1_80_0.cfg) provided in that archive (it's from the FTP)

Once it's done, please check if your axis appears and responds correctly in the "Test" tab.

Also, can you confirm your axis does not appear in the drop-down list in DCS?

Just for reference, here are my settings >>> Global/Common, Global/External, Profile/Common -n- Axes.
Keep in mind it's my custom profile using a Tiny Box. The settings should be slightly different on your side.

In any case, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use your pedals comfortably.
Please report back if it's fixed or if there's still a stubborn issue to deal with.

(I've watched the video you linked but it's an old version of the software/firmware and also a Tiny Box - so the info is not reliable enough)
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:31

Some info about BlackBox controller. It works not only with T-Rudder (or other, for example 3-axis Mk 19-3) pedals, but with modern (will be soon) Gunfighter joystick. So the first axes using V-MaRS input are intended for this joystick. Pedals port has hardware connection to last 3 axes - D-MaRS input. You can connect 3-axis pedals to this port so 2 axis are reserved. Look at Logical axes tab. Rx axis has center (Cn checked). This is your rudder pedals. By default All but Dial and Slider axes are enabled and visible (En & Мы checkboxes). So you can see all these axis in Windows applet. But can not use without connection of physical sensors)) Or creation virtual axis.
About in game settings. I do not have DCS((( But Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow demands full range of axis response. So you must not only touch pedals, but move them between extreme positions. Some times when axis is calibrated not good (extreme positions do not correspond to 0 and 65535 values) the game does not see it.
Differences between youtube vide and your picture is in used controller. TinyBox is for pedals only and has one D-Mars axis. #1.
I'll try to keep DCS to try axis settings. How other joysticks work in the game?
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:06

Thanks for dropping by Victor.

Then in DCS World the pedals axis should appear as JOY_RX in the controls configuration window.
(just tested with my T-Rudder by modifying the axis HID from X to Rx)

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:29

Downloaded DCS World for testing purposes)). Also Falcon 4.0 and BMS 4.33. Will try.

JG53_Jaguar

Postby JG53_Jaguar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:21

Bourrinopathe wrote:Thanks for all the details.
To my (limited) knowledge, the only thing that seems unusual in your picture is the V_MaRS input type in the "Physical Axes" tab, first line, axis #1 (mine is set to D_MaRS - which stands for Digital MagnetoResistive Sensor).
But, again, I don't own a Black Box, so I'm not sure how it's configured by default. That V_MaRS setting does not appear in my version of the Russian manual (v2.2).
As you stated that your axis is still responding in certain conditions, it might be the correct parameter.

There's an internal command in the VKB Device Config to restore the default settings (it's not obvious at all).
I'd suggest you run the program as an administrator and try that:

Go to the info tab, and type DEFAULT in the field, then hit the "button with no name" ;)
You should see "Done" displayed in the window.

You can also restore the default profile by loading and applying the profile (BB_def_v1_80_0.cfg) provided in that archive (it's from the FTP)

Once it's done, please check if your axis appears and responds correctly in the "Test" tab.

Also, can you confirm your axis does not appear in the drop-down list in DCS?

Just for reference, here are my settings >>> Global/Common, Global/External, Profile/Common -n- Axes.
Keep in mind it's my custom profile using a Tiny Box. The settings should be slightly different on your side.

In any case, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use your pedals comfortably.
Please report back if it's fixed or if there's still a stubborn issue to deal with.

(I've watched the video you linked but it's an old version of the software/firmware and also a Tiny Box - so the info is not reliable enough)

I tried typing the DEFAULT in the field as suggested, sure some parameters got changed but still the rudder pedals were not available in DCS.

I then tried to apply the default config file but this doesn't work as I'm getting "Error CPUID" message box and then the application just crashes.

So looks to me like the fun is over for me, sending it back tomorrow. Thank you all for your help, I guess my mission for finding a great quality pedals to match my Cougar stick still continues.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sun Sep 11, 2016 0:36

I tried to connect BlackBox with T-Rudder and everything is OK. I tried 2 methods. 1 - to select axis name from combobox as shown in a picture. 2 - to move pedals in both directions. Both methods work.
rx1.png

PS
I read the first post think I've found your mistake. You tried to assign axis to keyboard command Rudder left!
Select not All, but Axis commands! You can see russian captions in my picture but I think you understand.
PPS
See Bourrinopathe picture.

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 18:04

JG53_Jaguar wrote: This to me indicates that hardware is ok, I'm assuming.

I then proceeded to run DCS ( Digital Combat Simulator) and went into Options, then CONTROLS. I see that the "VKBsim Black Box" is available so scroll down to the Rudder Left and double click on the empty box under the VKBsim Black Box" column. I try to move my pedals but DCS is not picking up anything.

This behavior is "normal" in DCS latest versions - "reluctance" in see axis movements, buttons press.

So, just select in the drop down menu for "Black Box" the X axis for rudder an go in Axis Tune to see their work, invert, adjust curve if needed.

BTW - The pedal axis is "X" for compatibility question, because some old games, or even new, look for this axis in uniaxial devices. :wink:

Return to “Technical Support”