Building a custom grip for a VKB, adding buttons

Moderator: AdminGroup

SDirickson

Re: Building a custom grip for a VKB, adding buttons

Postby SDirickson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:17

It is a Suncom SFS stick, 4x buttons and 1x 4-way hat. My goal is to gut it, add a few more buttons and hat switches, and 3D print an extension and mounting bracket so that it is a drop-in, swap-able stick with my MCG Pro.

I need to know the following:
1. How do I wire approximately 20x buttons (6x buttons, 2x 5-ways and 1x 4-way) so that it will register with the VKB Gunfighter base and software? I imagine this can be done using shift registers. I'm familiar with wiring a button matrix or through a shift register, so I can make the stick emulate a TM Warthog, but I don't know how to convert a Warthog's 5-Pin connecting over to the VKB 3-Pin.

2. Is the connector at the base of the MCG Pro commercially available to order? Specifically, the metal, pie segmented metal connector that transfers signals from the stick.

3. What is the specification of the allen head screw that secures the extension to the base? I can 3D print a new mount but I'd like to match the screw so the same tool will work on both sticks.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:53

SDirickson wrote:It is a Suncom SFS stick

Roger.
Give me some time.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

aniron

Postby aniron » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45

If you are speaking with the engineers anyway, please see if there is a feasible way to interface a custom axis in a custom grip as well.

Being able to make a RAF spade grip with analog brake would be nice.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34

SDirickson wrote:1. How do I wire approximately 20x buttons (6x buttons, 2x 5-ways and 1x 4-way) so that it will register with the VKB Gunfighter base and software? I imagine this can be done using shift registers. I'm familiar with wiring a button matrix or through a shift register, so I can make the stick emulate a TM Warthog, but I don't know how to convert a Warthog's 5-Pin connecting over to the VKB 3-Pin.
Our adapter that allows mounting a WH grip on a GF base has a circuit that translates shift registers into our own protocol. Theoretically, you may buy an Arduino board off Aliexpress (if I remember it right, they can carry 24 buttons), and marry this Arduino to our adapter. The latter will very likely recognize the former (however with Chinese sometimes customized/modified Arduinos you will never know it before you try).

2. Is the connector at the base of the MCG Pro commercially available to order? Specifically, the metal, pie segmented metal connector that transfers signals from the stick.
No but we will be able to sell one to you if you decide you really want it. Talk to us directly (email the sales people) rather than the dealer.

3. What is the specification of the allen head screw that secures the extension to the base? I can 3D print a new mount but I'd like to match the screw so the same tool will work on both sticks.
There are many screws, please show me a picture of the one in question.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

data-ux

Postby data-ux » Sun Apr 28, 2019 21:41

Piggybacking on this thread to continue the discussion about the 3-pin protocol (Rev. B).

In another thread the 3 wires were described as (+, -, signal) which makes sense. But how is the signal encoded? Do you have any documentation you could share? I'm also interested in building a custom grip for the VKB Gunfighter Mk.II.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35

data-ux wrote:how is the signal encoded? Do you have any documentation you could share?

Sorry, no.
Besides general electronical and mechanical connection drawings we don't share pretty much anything.
Our devices use proprietary protocols which we will hardly divulge in foreseeable future.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Return to “Technical Support”