Fat Black Mamba Mk.III - Mode switch not working

Moderator: AdminGroup

Warpig

Fat Black Mamba Mk.III - Mode switch not working

Postby Warpig » Mon Feb 08, 2016 18:45

I recently received my new Mamba from the latest batch.

From what I understand, the mode switch is supposed to change the hardware input assignment on the left Hat and some buttons. In my case, the mode switch is not working. On all three modes the left Hat registers as 6,7,8,9 and the other buttons aren't changing inputs either.

Bourrinopathe

Re: Fat Black Mamba Mk.III - Mode switch not working

Postby Bourrinopathe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57

Hi Warpig,

I managed to configure a 3-modes profile for my Black Mamba MkII (not the Fat BM) using the VKB Device Config software.
Here's the original post where I tried to explain how to proceed. The basics should be absolutely the same for the FBM.

The software is pretty powerful and you can choose what you want to change with the different modes. For example, you can keep the two hats as they are in the three modes, only changing the other buttons.
At first, modifying the configuration can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it you should be able to change everything you want.
Unfortunately, only the russian manual is available at this time (>>> HERE <<<).

A few additional information are available in that related thread.
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Tue Feb 09, 2016 20:12

Thank you Bourrinopathe. This is a nice little introduction to the software.

What concerns me the most though, is the fact that my joystick is physically malfunctioning. If the mode switch is supposed to change hardware inputs without the use of software, I definitely want that option to be available to me. I hope VKB can sort this out with something like a firmware update.

I can provide dxdiag files or whatever is needed to help diagnose the issue.

BTW, this is on a Windows 7 system.

Regards,

Warpig

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 20:33

Please download configuration utility http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKBDevCfg-C_0_72_5_7.zip.
Unpack and run. Check options Expert mode, AutoRead parameters on Settings tab and rerun program. Open tab Profile - Buttons and take screenshots of Physical Layer and Logical Layer. Show these screenshots here.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:15

As requested.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:07

I assume Victor will clarify the configuration, but based on your screenshots, the 3-position toggle switch is configured as 3 buttons and not like a mode selector.
(they are configured as button 10, button 11 and button 12 - button 12 being the central position, just like my BM default configuration)
Your FBM seems physically sound ;)

Are you sure the FBM is supposed to use that 3-position toggle switch as a mode selector by default? (afaik the users of the previous Fat Black Mamba did not have a mode selector pre-configured)
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36

Per the Il2 forums that we are both on, Sokol1 showed me this image of the different hardware inputs that the mode selector enables. http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/204 ... /?p=329650

I cannot say if the mode selector is supposed to work like that by default, but it's something I expected from this product. And an option that I'd like to achieve.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00

Maybe Sokol was referring to the Cobra. I think it has a mode switch by default. Unless the FBM MkIII has that mode switch configured by default (which I doubt), it has to be programmed with the software.

But you're making a point: some templates or basic different profiles should be available to download on a profiles section or something.

One thing's for certain, you can use your FBM with a mode selector.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05

A profile would be nice. The software is pretty daunting to me. Even as somebody who has a good grasp on computers.

Needless to say.. There are going to be others asking for these same options, as this product was just released.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:36

Indeed.
I'm sorry I can't share any FBM profile as I don't own one.
I'd suggest you save your configuration first and then try to configure the modes all by yourself (like I did, and I'm no genius), but I know it can be tricky. At least, you won't have to wait for anyone or anything.

One very interesting feature of the beta software is that you can save specific settings to the device (it's called "Partial Write"), and that means we'll be able to share the buttons configuration without altering any other parameters (curves, LEDs behavior, axis configuration, …).

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09

Warpig wrote:A profile would be nice. The software is pretty daunting to me. Even as somebody who has a good grasp on computers.

Needless to say.. There are going to be others asking for these same options, as this product was just released.

If you want to use your buttons with modifiers, try to load attached configuration file.
_mamba_w_shifts.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

Unpack downloaded archive in the same folder with VKBDevCfg-C.exe and run this program. First of all save your current configuration. Save button on Action tab allow you to save parameters to file. After you press this button, choose the folder and set file name in standard Windows dialog window. By default configuration file name extension is cfg. Do not change it.
To load parameters saved in attached file press Load button. Open folder and select configuration file with extension cfg in standard Windows dialog window. After that you will see controller parameter values, loaded from the file in configuration utility window. It means nothing until you press Set button on Action tab.
PS
When you make screenshots, do not press PrintScreen key. Picture is too small in this case. Press Alt+PrintScreen and you will have picture of current window only in the clipboard.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:58

Thanks Victor for the profile. Unfortunately, when I attempt to load the file, I am getting a file is corrupt message.

I tried to download it twice with the same results.

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02

Warpig wrote:Thanks Victor for the profile. Unfortunately, when I attempt to load the file, I am getting a file is corrupt message.
I tried to download it twice with the same results.

I looked at your screenshots once again and 've found that we use different configuration utilities. Your version is 0.75.2.7 while my 0.76.3.8. With your version I received the same message. Please download latest program from this address http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=908 (multivolume archive) and use it.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46

No luck Victor.

I downloaded the software version from the new link.

Your profile loaded fine. When I attempt to Set, I get this error message.
Maybe a firmware version issue?

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31

Latest configurator versions really check versions of current firmware and the one of loading config file, that may be incompatible. So find zconfig.ini file, saved in the same folder with configurator, and add string ForcedWriteID=1 into [User] section.

[User]
ForcedWriteID=1

This will allow to load any configuration files. By default cfg file contains the complete set of parameters of your controller - keyboard mapping, macro configuration, axes response curves, LED configuration etc. In some cases if mentioned above versions are not the same, parameters from cfg file may be set to controller memory with unexpected errors. So with attempts to load cfg file with another version you will get warning message. You version 1.75a is not so obsolete so you can disregard it. But I recommend to update firmware from here http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/download/file.php?id=3139. I have tested this beta and think it is ok.

Return to “Technical Support”