Fat Black Mamba Mk.III - Mode switch not working

Moderator: AdminGroup

Warpig

Re: Fat Black Mamba Mk.III - Mode switch not working

Postby Warpig » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:02

Victorus wrote:Latest configurator versions really check versions of current firmware and the one of loading config file, that may be incompatible. So find zconfig.ini file, saved in the same folder with configurator, and add string ForcedWriteID=1 into [User] section.

[User]
ForcedWriteID=1

This will allow to load any configuration files. By default cfg file contains the complete set of parameters of your controller - keyboard mapping, macro configuration, axes response curves, LED configuration etc. In some cases if mentioned above versions are not the same, parameters from cfg file may be set to controller memory with unexpected errors. So with attempts to load cfg file with another version you will get warning message. You version 1.75a is not so obsolete so you can disregard it. But I recommend to update firmware from here http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/download/file.php?id=3139. I have tested this beta and think it is ok.

I modified the config file, but it still didn't let me Set the profile. Same error message.

How do I load the Firmware?

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:49

I wrote some quick info on the Eagle Dynamics forums.
If you have any question, just ask here, please.
It should be pretty straight forward though.

If anyone needs a procedure to update the firmware, here's how to do it:

The firmwares and the VKB Device Config software beta versions are available, >>> HERE <<<
(the stable versions are available from the FTP (firmwares))

You will need the Zbootloader-C.exe from the FTP.

• Download the latest VKB Device Config software from the first post in this thread.
  • Download and extract the latest beta firmware (available beta firmwares)
  • Run the ZBootloader-C.exe and select the firmware (*.vkb)
  • Select your device in the Device Config software
  • Hit the "Bootloader" button in the Tools tab (the window will disappear and the bootloader will be ready to update the firmware)
  • Hit the "Flash It!" button in the Z-Bootloader
  • Once the process is finished, unplug your device and plug it back in.
  • The new version number will be displayed in the VKB Device Config software.

Please, keep in mind those are beta versions and some issues may occur. If you don't want to risk your current device configuration, wait for a stable release (FTP).

The _MambaFat_v1_75_5.vkb firmware file required for your upgrade is in the archive below "Пакет (batch compilation):".
Last edited by Bourrinopathe on Sat Feb 13, 2016 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22

Try to use attached ini file.
zconfig.zip
(705 Bytes) Downloaded 275 times

And please update firmware to most yp to date
_MambaFat_v1_75_5.zip
(53.73 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
controller.zip
(185.16 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

If tou have any questions try to read attached brief manual https://yadi.sk/d/4I6XEQmEoky8W
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:59

Victorus wrote:Try to use attached ini file.
zconfig.zip

And please update firmware to most yp to date
_MambaFat_v1_75_5.zip
controller.zip

If tou have any questions try to read attached brief manual https://yadi.sk/d/4I6XEQmEoky8W

Good news, firmware updated and your profile loaded successfully!

There is one issue with the profile that needs to be addressed. Pinky Trigger (Mode 2) and Left Hat:left (Mode 3) have the same assignment input #16, creating a conflict between the two modes. This fix is a critical one.
There was a slight annoyance with the SYS light blinking in Modes 1 and 3, but I figured out how to change that with the External Tab.

Also, I can see that with this current profile, the limitation of 31 inputs create a lot of conflicts between the stick and base controls. This makes the base controls unusable for the 3 mode configuration. A more refined config could add more inputs to eliminate any conflicts between the stick and base controls. To allow a 3 modes config, with one global setting for all base controls, POV Hat, and Front/Back Trigger, more input assignments are needed. I estimated that 47 input assignments are needed, but this does not account for any inputs that are not shown in the image.

In summary, if the base controls were setup like they are now (with Flaps controls added to Mode 1), but have unique inputs that do not conflict with any of the stick inputs, it would be perfect.

I've looked at the software extensively and played around with it, but I am still not comfortable using it to add more inputs, change them inputs, etc. I even looked at Bourrinopath's forum link, it is unique to an older mamba with less controls. If you could make the above suggestions happen, it would be a life-saver for me and probably many others that are new to the product. Especially those who do not have a HOTAS setup to compensate.

You have been a huge help. We are close to perfection! :D

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 21:44

You are on the way to be NJOY32 guru!
First of all. NJOY32 can control up to 128 lines. To allow set #But on Global - Common tab to 128.
Obsolete DirectX do not understand more than 32 buttons but modern do it.
But even if not! Keyboard mapping can resolve this problem.
I like this way most of all. I do not use buttons with numbers at all. The reason is - I fly in some simulators, In different games I've set similar functions to the same letters. For example g - toggle gear, f and v control flaps etc. I've mapped joystick buttons to letters and do not think about game differences)) Also I have no problems with unexpected changing device numbers in Windows.
Open Global - Common tab, Check Map, Choose Keyboard mode - Classic and press Set. After it you will see 2 devices. HID keyboard device will be added. Now you can map joystick button to any key. See attached screenshot. So OS will recognize not button numbers but letters (or digits or functional keys etc. Even with modifiers).
mapping.jpg

About "Pinky Trigger (Mode 2) and Left Hat:left (Mode 3) have the same assignment input #16, creating a conflict between the two modes."
Sorry, I was not so careful. But I think and hope now you can resolve this problem by yourself. You can map problem line to another, free one. Simply choose free numbers in fields Use Shift1 and/or Use Shift2
modified.jpg

Hint. If you do not want to guess, what line number is free but know it, double click Use Shift1/2 fields. You will see Virtual layer dialog. Free line numbers are red. Click desired red button.
free_virtual.jpg

Or you can map one of "shiifted" line numbers to a key.
modified_2.jpg

Try!

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 22:25

I like the idea of assigning inputs to keys as well. I've already experienced the pain that Windows device assignments can cause, and realize that this is a much better method for setups.

One thing that is confusing me about the software is the physical/logical layer layout. When looking at it, it is not readily apparent to me which tiles correspond to which controls. Is there something I am over-looking to make this obvious?

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 23:10

Do not think, just do)))
Example. I set weapon 1 to spacebar. I want to use it with silver trigger.
Run VKBdevconfig. Open Profile -Buttons - Physical layer. Check Poll. Press silver trigger. I think you will see red dot in line 26. This number is "unattractive"))) Trigger is a significant control so by default it is mapped to line#2. That is ALL.
If you click physical line 26 you will see this remapping.
BMW26_2.jpg

So devconfig shows real number of pressed button. If you run Joytester (or open Windows applet or will setup controls in the game) you will see button #2 pressed! That is difference between physical and logical line numbers. No more difficulties!
By default automapping is checked so logical line number is the same with physical one. But in default VKB configuration some mappings are made. So auto mapping is unchecked and line 26 remapped to 2. If you open Logical layer tab you will see extra settings of physical lines. Line 26 mapped to 2)).
the main rule!
logical.jpg

There is no need to open Logical layer tab too often. All settings you are going to make it is easier to begin on Physical layer tab. Just check Poll to see line number of desired joystick button (toggle, hat position (yes, if you use trackir you do not need to use hat for viewing purposes, every hat can be used as 4 buttons) and so on), cclick this line and make settings in Button Mapping Wizard dialog! The primary function (for me) of logical layer tab is to overview mappings.

Do not forget to save your configurations!!! If you do not like some new settings, just load saved good confguration. It is

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Sun Feb 14, 2016 23:18

Okay, I'll spend some time on it today. Thanks for all the help Victor. o7

The Poll check box was my missing link.

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:35

Success! I've managed to resolve all conflicts between stick and base. I attached the profile for anybody who wants it.

With this configuration, The mode switch works for Pinky Trigger, Red Button, Orange Button, and Left HAT. All other controls are global. SYS light will be Solid Blue = Mode 1, Solid Purple = Mode 2, Solid Red = Mode 3.

Next step will be assigning keyboard inputs. At this point I'm pretty confident with the software to achieve that.

Mission Accomplished!

Attachments
mamba_w_shifts.zip
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56

A Heads-up for those wanting to do keyboard inputs.

The keyboard was not enabled by default. To do this goto Global tab, Common, in the Keyboard section set to Classic, then press Set in the Action tab. You will see a repilca device [2] appear in the top section. Restart the software so there's no confusion.

After restart, save to your profile and now your keyboard inputs will work.

PS. Victor, you forgot to tell me this. It must have been part of your master plan to force me to learn the software. :lol:

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:24

Hi! I'm glad to see your success!
About "PS. Victor, you forgot to tell me this. It must have been part of your master plan to force me to learn the software."

"I said no, no, no you're wrong" (c) She Said She Said, Revolver, The beatles :D

Look "Open Global - Common tab, Check Map, Choose Keyboard mode - Classic and press Set. After it you will see 2 devices. HID keyboard device will be added." in my post :lol:
But I'm so happy that you've found this setting by yourself!!
Happiness Is a Warm Gun... (c) White album The beatles

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12

How to use encoders.
By default encoder is configured as 3 buttons. First is pressed when you rotate encoder "forward", second - "backward" and the last - when you press encoder axis.
However there much more interesting way of use! It can be axis.
Our goal is to use encoder "elevator trim" to trim Y (pitch) axis.
Run VKBDevconfig and open Profile - Buttons - Physical layer tab. Check Poll as usual)).
Rotate encoder and see flashing lines 17 and 18. Click line 17
Click line 17. By default encoder is set as Discrete ()Type field). Choose Trimmer - to set as virtual axis! Choose Axis = 4. This is free axis number. ## 3 and 5 occupied by analog axes. Choose 64x (this parameter specifies axis sensivity). Leave Adv value.
BMW_enc_trim.jpg

You've created virtual axis. But you must enable it.
Open Common -n-Axes. On Physical axis tab:
Set axis #4 as Virtual, set Trim+ for it (sign will set rotation direction)
On Logical axis check En and Vs - to enable axis and make it visible.
axes.jpg

Press Set - you've made too much settings, it will be pity to lose))).
We've enabled new axis. Rotate encoder and you will see axis #4 response in VKBJoytester or in Windows applet.
Our goal is (this time) to trim Y axis. It will be in the next time (c) Scheherazade)))
PS
You can find User manual (still in Russian only) at https://yadi.sk/i/rBLRuR2ejTxwn

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Mon Feb 15, 2016 21:47

Victorus wrote:Look "Open Global - Common tab, Check Map, Choose Keyboard mode - Classic and press Set. After it you will see 2 devices. HID keyboard device will be added." in my post :lol:
But I'm so happy that you've found this setting by yourself!!
Happiness Is a Warm Gun... (c) White album The beatles

Oops, I missed that part. XD

Either way, with your help, I now have what I wanted, and was able to make a keyboard set profile as well. I can now use the stick to it's full potential.

Could somebody explain a bit about macros? I set one up yesterday, but it didn't work after assigning it to a button. The Enable checkbox always comes unchecked too, after navigating away from the Macro tab. The goal is to create a macro that will press three successive key commands, one after the other. This is what I have so far.

EDIT: I noticed that enabling the Auto checkbox on the Macro/Device section made the software unresponsive to opening it again. To be able to use it again, I had to go into zconfig and turn the option back off.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:51

Hi Warpig,

Glad to see you finally created your multi-modes profile and that you're digging even further! (and gigantic thanks to Victor for his help!)

Last time I checked the Macros functionality was WIP and I only tested a very simple (and working) configuration. I didn't check if they're available without tweaking the config file.
(using v0.76.3.8)

Warpig wrote:The Enable checkbox always comes unchecked too, after navigating away from the Macro tab.

I don't have that issue. Try with the Device/Auto parameters unchecked?

What I have here is a simple button press sequence (button 1 to 8), triggered when I press a button (the front encoder in that case (button 15)).

I assigned the buttons in the first and second lines of four columns. As you've probably figured out, the "Continued macro" box at the end of each line orders the macro to continue processing the inputs from the next line of actions. This should allow creating a fairly complex sequence of actions.
I kept the same timing for both lines ("Set" column, "Time-group (1..8)").
The timings are defined in the "Time sets" group (I used a 500 ms interval (Repeat) and 1:4 Release - from what I've gathered "Repeat" defines the time between each action and "Release" defines the action duration (or button press duration in that case)). I assume it's a fraction of the Repeat value but I'm not sure (the tooltip says "Macros release time, ms" - but there's no numeric value).

I checked the "Enable" box for the Macro tab and applied the configuration by hitting the Device/Set button.

Then I assigned the Macro to a button (button 15 in that example):
(I know it's the easy part and you've obviously done that, but I hope that info could help other users ;) )

I just clicked where "Macro #1" is now visible (it was a simple button function (B 15)) and then selected "Macro" in the drop-down list and "1").

The Logical layer shows the Macro #1 is now assigned to my selected physical button:

I finally applied the configuration with the "Set" button from the Action bar.
I didn't try the keyboard inputs for the macros but unless it's not fully implemented yet, it should be pretty similar. I'll try to give it a go if I have enough time, and I'll report back.

Once the macro is assigned, you can modify and test it by pressing the Device/Set button in the Macro tab. I used the Test tab to see how it changed after modifying the Macro. You don't have to restart the device or to apply all the settings before testing your modified macro. That's convenient.
In that example, the macro triggers the buttons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 each 500 ms and holding the buttons for a short time (I'm not sure it's a quater (1:4) of 500 ms) (I'm not sure how the "Release" parameter works).

Anyway. I hope this helps improving our Device Config kung fu ;)
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Warpig

Postby Warpig » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33

I don't know..

The Enable box just won't stay checked for me no matter what Set button I use. Whether it's in Devices section or the Action tab. My only testing have been with Keys, but it should work just the same, and that's really what I will need anyways.

Return to “Technical Support”