Black Mamba stops working...

Moderator: AdminGroup

Troll

Black Mamba stops working...

Postby Troll » Sun Dec 27, 2015 22:01

Hi!

After I installed Win10 64 on my PC, my Black Mamba joystick stops working occasionally...
If I open the joy.cpl application I can see that the VKB Black Mamba sometimes is removed from the list of devices and the blue light on the joystick base goes black. Then it comes back again.
The joystick is connected to the PC via a USB3 hub. It seems like the problem goes away if I connect it directly to the PC, so I'm thinking there's a problem with connecting it to a hub in Win10, because this was never a problem with Win7 64.

Does anybody know what I can do about this?

Edit: I should also say that this never happens when I'm flying in a flightsimulator, only in the windows desktop. So I guess it's not a big problem, but it is irritating... ;)

Bourrinopathe

Re: Black Mamba stops working...

Postby Bourrinopathe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45

Hi, Troll,

It's Windows 10 USB energy management which disconnects inactive devices.

• Open your Control Panel
  • Open the Device Manager
  • Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch then double-click the USB Root Hub

• Choose the Power Management tab
  • Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power by unchecking the box then click the OK button:

• Repeat the step on each USB root hub or do it only for USB ports that you want to be permanently powered on.

Your Black Mamba constant blue light should confirm it's never powered down.

Alternatively, you can left the VKB Device Config software opened and it will keep your VKB devices powered (if you don't want to mess with the power settings or just want a super quick fix).

It should not increase the global warming or harm your energy budget ;)
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Troll

Postby Troll » Mon Dec 28, 2015 13:00

Aaaaah!
I knew it had something to do with the Win10 installation!

Will try this when I get home.

Thanks!

Troll

Postby Troll » Mon Dec 28, 2015 21:00

Unfortunately this did not fix the problem...

What else can it be..?

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15

Sorry it didn't fix the issue :|
Could you confirm the BM keeps being powered off with the VKB Device Config software opened in background?

Also, did you modify the USB power management for the "USB Root Hub (xHCI)" ports? (these might be connected to your USB 3.0 port)

I'm using W10 64 + Black Mamba and I had the same behavior (without any USB 3.0 hub though). No problem since I modified the USB energy management. There should be a solution.
Just in case, what BM firmware and VKB Device Config versions are you using?
Last edited by Bourrinopathe on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:46, edited 1 time in total.
/// ВКБ Black Mamba MkIII / ВКБ T-Rudder MkII / ВКБ Gladiator / X-55 Rhino throttle / OpenTrack /// UTC +4 ///

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:45

You can also check the Power Plan settings:

(Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options)
Click on "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings"

Probably nothing surprising here, but "better safe than sorry", right? ;)

Troll

Postby Troll » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:59

Hi again and once again thank you for trying to help me out!

I deselected all boxes I could find where there was a tick mark for allowing windows to control the powersetting in USB hub and HID devices.

The stick stays "on" when VKB device config is active, or when in a simulation.
I'm not sure about versions, but I guess the firmware and device manager has been updated since I bought and installed the firmware about a year ago... Where do I find new fw and software, btw?

I will try changing the power options plan as per your suggestion.

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:45

Pretty tricky. Let us know if you find how to tame Windows or your USB hub.

The firmware and software should not have anything to do with your issue, but you can update the BM firmware and the VKB Device Config software to the beta versions >>> HERE <<<

You will need the Zbootloader-C.exe from the FTP.

• Download the latest VKB Device Config software
  • Grab and extract the BM latest beta firmware (_BlackMamba_v1_74_A.vkb)
  • Run the ZBootloader-C.exe and select the firmware
  • Select your BM in the Device Config software
  • Hit the "Bootloader" button in the Tools tab (the window will disappear and the bootloader will be ready to update the firmware)
  • Hit the "Flash It!" button in the Z-Bootloader
  • Once the process is finished, unplug your BM and plug it back in.
  • It should be updated.

I installed the very same versions and I have absolutely no issue.

Troll

Postby Troll » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:53

Thanks!

Will try updatung the stick anyway...

I suddenly had some "Super Speed USB hub" in my device list, that had the "power management" box ticked. They weren't there last time I looked.

I have looked at the USB settings in my BIOS to try to change the initializing POST settings. And when I changed those, the PC wouldn't start. I'm thinking there might be some problems with my PC, but what?
Will try without the USB hub and see if I can find out what part is causing my problems.

One thing though, my TM Warthog throttle is also connected to the same hub, and that never goes off line. It's just the BM stick that does. Doesn't matter if it's connected to hub, PC USB 2 oe 3 port...

Troll

Postby Troll » Wed Dec 30, 2015 15:53

Ok... This is getting stranger by the minute. :)

I tried flashing the firmware, and that fixed the problem with the Mamba shutting down in windows..!
But I'm not sure the flash was 100% successful because I got an error after the flash

And when I now start the VKB DevCfg and choose the Mamba I get this error...

The stick works, but it probably needs to be set up for using the TM Warthog handle because the buttons don't work.
Is there a detailed description of how to do this, because I have forgotten :)

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 20:17

At least, that's part of the problem solved. And traded for another one :P
You should re-install the firmware and see if the error message occurs again (it should not, that would be impolite).

About the Warthog stick installation, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the procedure.
One thing for sure: always backup a functional profile. ;)

The Mamba manual (pages 14-15-16) seems to show the way to configure the Warthog stick.
Google translate is not kind with the Russian language but I hope it will clarify the steps.

Troll

Postby Troll » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14

I tried flashing the firmware two times, with the same error... I agree! It's very impolite! ;)
The manual didn't really help me... Maybe VKB techies could help me? How do I set up the profile for the Warthog handle?
And maybe I should try flashing another firmware? Or maybe the error is because of some problem with the PC?
Computers! ;)

Bourrinopathe

Postby Bourrinopathe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09

Yes, computers can be that stubborn, unfortunately for us. :wink:
You can try to ask AlexOz to help you in the Russian forum (beta firmware and software thread) (you can write your question in english). It could be a simple beta version issue.
Alternatively, for the Warthog stick configuration, you could try to ask for some advices in the Eagle Dynamics (DCS) forum. I know several users are using a Warthog stick on a BM base.

I hope everything will be up and running for the new year!
I wish you a wonderful new year with many happy flight hours ahead ;)

Troll

Postby Troll » Thu Dec 31, 2015 13:47

Thanks!
A very merry 2016 to you as well!

Latest report is that I figured out how to set it up to use the WH handle, so now the stick works as it should...but the blue led won't come on... Oh well, at least it works and windows doesn't shut it down anymore. Maybe I should try and flash it to an older firmware...or just leave it as is..? ;)

DHRF

Postby DHRF » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:09

Hello

I am certified Microsoft consultant whit 17 years of experience.
Also I am hardware addict and simmer.

you have several layers that can produce problems in USB bus.
From OS, to hardware design, bios, bad usb ports, PSU voltages, RF noise.

Normally you look at the last change, and having windows 10 from non public beta to this RTM.........beta.... you are on the right track.

I always recommend external powered usb hub for devices that need not only current, but a decent and stable one.
games cant put some load on psu and can affect the required current, and may affect the functionality of precision devices.

Another layer is the os power management that can be tricky to manage, not always the configuration remains, or even apply.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327635

That link is a nice resume, I only will add that when uninstalling devices choose view, show hidden devices, and also uninstall the required ones whit the same name that are grayed.

Fell Free to contact me.

Return to “Technical Support”