USB-C cable

Moderator: AdminGroup

Garuda

USB-C cable

Postby Garuda » Fri Feb 25, 2022 22:39

Hello, I have a Gladiator NXT with THQ, SEM, and FSM modules. Everything is connected to each other and works fine, however the USB-C that is included to attach the FSM module is 2 inches too short for how I have everything mounted. I bought a longer USB-C cable but when using that the FSM module is no longer recognized. Is there a specific type of USB-C cable that I need to make this work?

fallout9

Re: USB-C cable

Postby fallout9 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 23:37

Could you please post a picture with your setup and describe more accurately the cables (there are USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to JST, USB-C to USB-A cables involved, so it's unclear what exactly you're using)?

Garuda

Postby Garuda » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:21

Certainly. I have the THQ on the left of the Gladiator and the SEM on the right. Both are attached with the reinforcing brackets and the Gladiator stick is mounted to a UCM Stronghold. I mounted the FSM to the top of the Stronghold by my own means; a little high up so the stick does not make contact with it when pushed forward. The FSM module works with the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable attaching it to the THQ module, but I am only able to plug it in when it's not mounted to the Stronghold due to the cable's length.

I bought a longer USB-C to USB-C cable online but the FSM module does not work using this cable (LEDs do not light up and button presses do not register). I'm not sure if the 3rd party cable I am trying is either faulty or not capable of being used for this.
Attachments
IMG_0395 (2).JPEG

Garuda

Postby Garuda » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:08

I just tried another USB-C to USB-C cable and that does not work as well. For some reason the FSM module is only working with the short cable that came with it.

Edit: There must be something different about the included USB-C cables from standard USB-C cables that I was not aware of. Thankfully, I do have a GNX USB controller as well so I put that in the FSM and plugged it directly into my computer with the USB-C to USB-A cable.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 20:06

The USB-C to USB-C included is a power and data cable. Maybe you tried power only cables?

RogoRogo

Postby RogoRogo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 17:06

A new year and apart from other issues (which are not the hardware's fault but simply a lack of systemic documentation and were resolved by arbitrary info in random places to random situations and fellow users that was nonetheless VKB-provided) I have the exact same issue when trying to connect a THQ and a SEM-V with a 0,75 or 0,5 USB 3,0 DATA (and power by default) cable (as I simply had no short USB 2.0 cable available and also.. that.. should not be an issue.. neither by SHORT lengths below 1,0m or by downwards compatability)

Even a data only cable (which the VKB one cannot be, as it also supplies power) or a power only cable (unless specifically wired "kehrvehrt") should have no impact beyond not working by design.

So I have supplied an update to my ticket and am awaiting whether I can get a VKB-provided 0,5 for my left stronghold mount or info about what is possible or not possible.

UPDATE: According to VKB (EU) they themselves have to match cables, if the plug is just slightly off -> communication error. There are no plans to add cables that definitely work to the shop (for now) but a longer cable (longer than 0,25m) should not be a problem if the plug happens to match. I could speculate why the highly standardized USB(-C) needs to also mechanically match... but the relevant part is that one has to find a cable that happens to have an exact match of the supplied cable's plug.

Return to “Technical Support”