Help programming VKB Gladiator NTX button for continuous depress

Moderator: AdminGroup

tuffysdad

Help programming VKB Gladiator NTX button for continuous depress

Postby tuffysdad » Sun May 08, 2022 0:06

Hi all. Wondering if a VKBDevCfg knowledgeable person can tell me how to program a button to stay depressed until pressed again? I want to use GNTX buttons to control the mouse wheel to rotate dials in DCS. I want to press the button once for the dial to start rotating continuously, then press again to stop it. I have tried to use Button-Alt (BA) but it only allows discrete depresses so I have to keep pressing the button to keep rotating the dial (standard Button (B) does the same). Can someone direct me to the proper setting(s)? Or is it a DCS thing? Thanks very much.

1sascha

Re: Help programming VKB Gladiator NTX button for continuous depress

Postby 1sascha » Sun May 08, 2022 0:56

Sounds like you're talking about turning one of the buttons into a toggle-switch?

If so:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6515#p54439

EDIT: Oops.. just saw that you already used the function I was suggesting. Hmm... could be a DCS thing... I'm using ButAlt on my pinky button to turn it into a toggle for IL-2's gunsight-view. WRT function in that game, the button set to "ButAlt" in VKB Config does behave in a "push and hold until pushed again" sort of way.

S.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Sun May 08, 2022 2:23

Yes, it seemed simple, just set BA. Apparently not so simple...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun May 08, 2022 5:39

Screenshots with the changes you've made please. Also, test the settings outside the game - if it works well, then the game won't allow the combo.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Sun May 08, 2022 8:13

Thanks for the reply. I hope these screenshots are sufficient. VKB Button Tester shows it is correct. A DCS issue? Any other tweaks in VKB config?
Attachments
screen two.png
screen one.png

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Sun May 08, 2022 12:46

Please describe - what do you want to control in DCS? What plane, what control?
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Sun May 08, 2022 21:12

I am using the DCS P-51, F-86, and F-18 modules primarily. I want to be able to rotate dials with a button on my stick (essentially emulating a mouse wheel but with buttons). In the DCS "UI Layer" I presently control the left/right mouse buttons with a GNTX stick button left and right, and control the up/down mouse wheel with the same GNTX stick button for mouse wheel up and down (stick button up and down). The problem is the mouse wheel up/down is very slow and moves with discreet movements (in fact, two button pushes are required for one virtual dial click). I want the up/down button pushes to move the dial continuously until pushed again - like a Button-alt would do. But I have tried the Button-alt basic setting and the button still operates the dial with those discreet movements.

I was hoping for either a Button-alt tweak that would work to overcome what may be a DCS limiting factor ( maybe button function limitation), or a workaround like converting the button to axis but in one direction? These may not be possible, but of course any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks very much.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Mon May 09, 2022 13:28

Have you tried other games? If it works as intended both in other games and in Windows control-panel, I'd suspect it's a DCS-thing. But with so many other functions available in VKB Config, perhaps there's a work-around.

Other than that, you might want to look at Joy2Key as a last resort. It's a bit of a crutch, and I don't use that particular function, but it does have a customizable auto-repeat option in there. Basically, you'd map the function in-game to a key or key-combo, then use Joy2Key to make your button send out that key/key-combo and use the auto-repeat function in Joy2Key to fine-tune the button's behavior to your liking.

Again: This is a pretty big work-around and if it's at all possible, I would probably prefer using VKB Config to get your desired in-game behavior. But at least it is/could be an option.

S.

tuffysdad

Postby tuffysdad » Mon May 09, 2022 20:14

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the auto-repeat feature, but hesitate to get into yet another configuration app. With all of them (Joy2key, vjoy, joystick gremlin, etc.) I wonder if they play well together when more than one is used on a single device. If VKB has no software solution, looks like I am stuck with what I have. At least I would like to change the 2 presses to one virtual click ratio to a one-to-one...

Return to “Technical Support”